Monday Covid Update: 19,603 new cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

On a slightly downward trend, a total of 19,603 new Covid-19 cases and 149 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Out of the 776,108 Covid-19 infections recorded in Thailand since the start of the pandemic last year, the recent wave of the virus, first reported on April 1, has accounted for 747,245 of those infections.  The pandemic’s death toll in Thailand has risen to 6,353. Of those fatalities, 6,259 were recorded in the latest wave of the virus. Most of the deaths have been people in Bangkok who are over 60 years old, according […]

The post Monday Covid Update: 19,603 new cases; provincial totals appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Out of the new cases, 313 were found in correctional facilities. Over the past several months, infections at Thailand’s prisons have been reported on a daily basis. More than 40,000 inmates have tested positive for the virus. Field hospitals are being set up at prisons with cluster outbreaks.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/monday-covid-update-19603-new-cases-provincial-totals

Really, what hope is there for containment, or even eradicating covid if they cannot eradicate the numbers within the Thai prison community? Now the number per day in Phuket is up to 81, what hope is there to eradicate it here as the island’s population may just match that of the Thai prison system? About time to up it’s colour to red.

• Like 3

Why is Tim Not giving Phuket daily case reports as he has done since April?  Has he been asked not to talk about the Surge Created by sandbox worker returnees ?  This is definitely the reason and not the migrant workers. All the Red zone people who came back with little to no restrictions. 

• Like 3

I believe Tim has lost his Backbone. Lets send out a search party to help him find it. I want to hear daily Phuket numbers not general numbers for the country.  Phuket officials have an obligation to keep us Safe and Up to date with the latest information. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LemonMG said:

Why is Tim Not giving Phuket daily case reports as he has done since April?  Has he been asked not to talk about the Surge Created by sandbox worker returnees ?  This is definitely the reason and not the migrant workers. All the Red zone people who came back with little to no restrictions. 

I don't think it's a case of lost backbone, I think it's a case of who supports him.  The Thaiger, for better or worse, relies on advertisers, largely from Phuket, who have a stake in the survival of the Sandbox and its reputation.

He depends on the Sandbox succeeding so people will continue to advertise and he can continue to pay the employees and the rent.

Edited by MrStretch
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Really, what hope is there for containment, or even eradicating covid if they cannot eradicate the numbers within the Thai prison community? Now the number per day in Phuket is up to 81, what hope is there to eradicate it here as the island’s population may just match that of the Thai prison system? About time to up it’s colour to red.

I don't understand why we are Not getting Daily numbers as before from the Thaiger.  Who is willing to value Life over Money here in Phuket?

• Like 1

Well let’s see how many spare hospital beds are free by next Monday in Phuket? Currently 67% full. Like they said when it was 90 cases in a week what will happen when numbers reach 80% of hospital beds? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

He depends on the Sandbox succeeding so people will continue to advertise and he can continue to pay the employees and the rent.

I am all for Thais working. I am not comfortable with games and lack of information to save lives. They are essentially allowing people to get sick or die only because they won't share info as before.  I would like to know whether it's safe to go out or stay at home.  Numbers and location of infections help me decide where to go instead of being blind. Others had previously given better location details but that also has stopped.   Just wondering if local officials have suggested a lack of detailed information.  

Old Phuket prison new field hospital

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2162483/old-phuket-prison-new-field-hospital

A disused old prison is being converted into a third field hospital to cope with the growing number of Covid-19 cases in this southern island province, governor Narong Woonciew said on Monday.

Really you could not have scripted this better than Escape From New York. There are rumours of a remake, maybe Escape From Phuket?

Iceland: "While data shows vaccination is reducing the rate of serious illness due to COVID-19 in Iceland, the country’s Chief Epidemiologist Þórólfur Guðnason says it has not led to the herd immunity that experts hoped for. In the past two to three weeks, the Delta variant has outstripped all others in Iceland and it has become clear that vaccinated people can easily contract it as well as spread it to others, Þórólfur stated in a briefing this morning."

Vaccines only reduce the number of seriously ill from CURRENT variants but could also misdirect the virus evolution to shed new variants that are more aggressive than before because it is mutating against the vaccines also.