Political activist “Penguin” back in prison ahead of large protest tomorrow

Thaiger

Pro-democracy activist Parit Chiwarak, aka “Penguin”, has been re-arrested and imprisoned ahead of an important rally tomorrow. The Bangkok Post reports that Parit was detained on his arrival at Royal Thai Police headquarters yesterday following a summons issued on August 2. Parit faces charges related to graffiti that appeared outside a police office in the central province of Pathum Thani. It’s understood the activist had appeared at the station to demand the release of fellow activists. On Parit’s arrival at RTP headquarters yesterday, he was presented with an arrest warrant. Police also arrested 14 other activists, who face charges related […]

The post Political activist “Penguin” back in prison ahead of large protest tomorrow appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Bubbling up slowly by the looks of things. Wouldn't want to be in Bangkok for the next two months and I'm not talking about the covid spread either

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Parit Chiwarak, aka “Penguin”, has been re-arrested and imprisoned

I wonder if in the same cell as The Joker and The Riddler? If not, Batman will be busy.

• Haha 4

Just now, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I wonder if in the same cell as The Joker and The Riddler? If not, Batman will be busy.

Robin better watch his bum then ?

I think the protest should be turned into a mass vaccination event. If thousands are going to be together,they could march 1.5 meters apart and get a vaccination at the same time! 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jason said:

I think the protest should be turned into a mass vaccination event. If thousands are going to be together,they could march 1.5 meters apart and get a vaccination at the same time! 

Well I like you idea but unfortunately many of the marchers/car mob will be the less fortunate Thais and younger people that the current government absolutely despise and has considered not worthy of vaccination to date anyway. So whilst it may be a good idea, this government, rather than putting vaccine into them, will be at home putting rubber bullets, or worse, into them I fear.

In all seriousness, this young guy is a brave lad by any measure. We may laugh at his nickname and make jokes about it taking a long time for any hunger strike to have any affect, but it takes some balls to do what he’s doing in any country. Ask yourself the question. Could you do it if you were a young Thai without the full protection of Western laws, Human rights and an open investigative media to protect you? I’d like to think I could, but I doubt it. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Nah, they'd only get six of them.

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

In all seriousness, this young guy is a brave lad by any measure. We may laugh at his nickname and make jokes about it taking a long time for any hunger strike to have any affect, but it takes some balls to do what he’s doing in any country. Ask yourself the question. Could you do it if you were a young Thai without the full protection of Western laws, Human rights and an open investigative media to protect you? I’d like to think I could, but I doubt it. 

Too true as are all the 'leaders' they are all prepared but don't want to die to try and achieve a more democratic Thailand. Westerners stand on the shoulders of giants who in the past did the same for us. There is a very good video profile of him with English subs which I won't post here for obvious reasons but it must be said he has balls of steel. 

search  "On the ground with Penguin, the Thai protest leader risking jail"

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Unsubstantiated smears and if we are to go down that route how much are the Chinese paying you ?

Nothing. Exactly what I'm worth.

Its not unsubstantiated, it's from the National Endowment for Democracy. The organization set up by the CIA. Or put simply, the American government. Or dont you believe them either?

Just now, Poolie said:

Nothing. Exactly what I'm worth.

Its not unsubstantiated, it's from the National Endowment for Democracy. The organization set up by the CIA. Or put simply, the American government. Or dont you believe them either?

It is the linking of him with that - evidence or it didn't happen. And anyway during WW2 the allies were in alliance with the Soviet Union in a struggle my enemies enemy may be my temporary friend. No doubt you find the Dalai Lama dodgy as well. 

I didn't link him with it directly. He's not named on there. I asked how much he was hoovering up, or do you think he's self funding?

I dont know enough about the Dalai Lama.  Apparently he gives mozzies three chances before he crushes them.

We're not on about the second world war, which is a good job seeing as I wasnt born then.

Edited by Poolie
Spelling

1 minute ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

SE Asia is a cesspool of vile dictatorships.

Well Central Asia, Eastern Europe, South America and Central African nations have their fair share as well.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

I didn't link him with it directly. He's not named on there. I asked how much he was hoovering up, or do you think he's self funding?

I dont know enough about the Dalai Lama.  Apparently he gives mozzies three chances before he crushes them.

We're not on about the second world war, which is a good job seeing as I wasnt born then.

You smeared him by inference  as you well know. Since backing the US in the Vietnam war was the making of modern Thailand rather than their own dynastic interpretation of history it's a bit rich to see xenophobic  nationalism whipped up seeing the US hidden hand behind all dissent. 

All I know is the Dalai Lama is a good man , a bit Chancey Gardener but certainly not worth of the hatred that the Chinese government throws at him. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, billybob said:

You smeared him by inference  as you well know. Since backing the US in the Vietnam war was the making of modern Thailand rather than their own dynastic interpretation of history it's a bit rich to see xenophobic  nationalism whipped up seeing the US hidden hand behind all dissent. 

All I know is the Dalai Lama is a good man , a bit Chancey Gardener but certainly not worth of the hatred that the Chinese government throws at him. 

I'm not strong on inference. If I want to say it I'll say it. The NED publicly admits it so there's little room for argument.

The Dalai Lama mixed freely with the Nazis during the 40's. I dont think the Chinese hold that against him, after all it wasn't their fight. It does however bring in to question your assertion that 'he's a good man.'

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Well Central Asia, Eastern Europe, South America and Central African nations have their fair share as well.

Agreed and let’s not forget the Mafia in the Kremlin. Basically it’s 80% of the world. When I was young, I thought by the time the world reached the year 2000, all this mess would be sorted out. I thought it was some hangover from the war. If anything, it’s worse today than it was back in the 1980’s

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed and let’s not forget the Mafia in the Kremlin. Basically it’s 80% of the world. When I was young, I thought by the time the world reached the year 2000, all this mess would be sorted out. I thought it was some hangover from the war. If anything, it’s worse today than it was back in the 1980’s

Your right of course and in the last 20 or so years in those countries considered to have a solid democratic system there has seen a drift to the right, and in some cases the far right. That does not bode well because the far right generally gander support with nationalistic attitudes, the UK being a fine example. I really  hope history does not start repeating itself considering globally there is major despondency  in many populations and economic impact on many small businesses due to the effect of covid and the measure undertaken