Phuket officials rush to restore visitor confidence following tourist murder

Thaiger

Officials on the southern island of Phuket are pulling out all the stops in a bid to restore tourist confidence, following the murder of Swiss national Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf last week. The victim, who’d been visiting Phuket under the island’s sandbox scheme, was found dead at Ao Yon waterfall last Thursday. The Bangkok Post reports that the murder has left local authorities and tourism operators anxious about the fate of the island’s re-opening scheme. Under the sandbox programme, Phuket has been open to vaccinated foreign tourists since July 1. Visitors must spend at least 14 days on the island, at an […]

The post Phuket officials rush to restore visitor confidence following tourist murder appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Officials on the southern island of Phuket are pulling out all the stops in a bid to restore tourist confidence, following the murder of Swiss national Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf last week. The victim, who’d been visiting Phuket under the island’s sandbox scheme, was found dead at Ao Yon waterfall last Thursday. The Bangkok Post reports that the murder has left local authorities and tourism operators anxious about the fate of the island’s re-opening scheme. Under the sandbox programme, Phuket has been open to vaccinated foreign tourists since July 1. Visitors must spend at least 14 days on the island, at an […]

The post Phuket officials rush to restore visitor confidence following tourist murder appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well TAT are totally competent in coming up with fairytale predictions or even perhaps telling a few porkies so this latest task of theirs should present few problems

Everyone here knows that  probably take less than a week if that long before everything is back to normal Thai life where everything is only about money and safety  is third or fourth priority again.

• Like 2

I can't believe a Thai man could be so stupid to kill a tourist in the sand box. At such a time in history he has clearly turned public opinion away from coming to the sand box and that's not to mention my thoughts on the poor woman's life. 

There is no money or jobs in Thailand and foreigners are in the "cross hairs" for opportunists to strike for easy money. Travellers need to be protected at this time and should be discouraged from venturing out alone into areas without proper secuirty or suveillance!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

It's so comforting to know, that if you get murdered here while on holiday, the police will quickly find the culprit..!

Limited time only. Only during sandbox hours. 

• Haha 1

Thailand didn't become safe overnight. It has historically ranked worse than all other Asian countries for safety, only edged out by the Philippines & Pakistan. (World Economic Forum reports on tourism competitiveness).

Headlines pre-covid like "THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey." were common.

Yes, Thailand is amazing and Phuket is my home, but don't drop your guard. Covid didn't make any of this better.

That's not to say this poor woman wasn't, as who only knows the circumstances of all of this, but it's grim reminder to be smart. You are not in Kansas anymore.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 6

The TAT, governor and all the authorities know that the Sandbox is not working.

You can sense as you read the article, that they are slowly accepting the fact.

They will use this situation, to explain  away, the failure of  the Sandbox. 

A quick arrest and conviction  will save their face.

I forsee the closure of the Sandbox,  and a new effort to open with less paperwork etc in Q4, in readiness for 2022. Even that would be optimistic!

"Welcome to Thailand for your romantic honeymoon. This SWAT team will follow you everywhere you go, including on the bus ride back to Bangkok. Only 4500 baht per day plus their food."  

Phuket_tourist_murder_Facebook_National-Council-for-Peace-and-Order_Phuket-Province.jpg

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Yes I agree. It sounds terrible to say it, but this is perhaps a blessing for the people with the Sandbox idea. They can blame the failure all on the low life piece of sh*t who killed the unfortunate woman. 

Drop all the BS hoops to jump thru and I'll book my flights tomorrow, as Ive been waiting for months..

ASQ-Ins-Tests-COE-etc....Id even ASQ up north in CNX if you just let me fly directly there....Im vaxxed

Wondering about where the tipping point is, and keeping all these "hoops" as the baht continues to fall...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

The TAT, governor and all the authorities know that the Sandbox is not working.

You can sense as you read the article, that they are slowly accepting the fact.

A quick arrest and conviction  will save their face.

I forsee the closure of the Sandbox,  and a new effort to open with less paperwork etc in Q4, in readiness for 2022. Even that would be optimistic!

Here is something to think about, 48hrs!  Is like the US Sitcome or reality show. Police have 48hrs to get many details as well as the bad guy. 

Current thai style, you have a poor soul being murdered by someone. 

The first thing that happens is the Photo Shoot of all the officials. Then you have an immediate confession from a so called suspect, free willingly or under thai duress. 

Were are police patrols in that area? Especially when they,TAT open Phuket Sandbox? Were is the security patrols in that famous area? 

OOOOPPPPpps, i forgot, they are wait in their police posts chatting with their Mia Nois or playing mobile legends and getting their weekly brown envelops. 

There always has to be a Bad Event before someone does anything about it. AMAZING THAILAND.