Covid UPDATE Sunday: 19,983 infections, news briefs

Thaiger

This morning the Thai public health department have announced a further 19,983 infections and 138 Covid-related deaths to Thailand’s total number of cases – 756,505. 350 of the total are from Thai prisons. Whilst the new daily totals tally is under 20,000 for the first time in nearly a week, the Sunday totals are often lower than other days of reporting. 18,503 patients have been released from hospitals around Thailand. • As of last week, 35,455 expats in Thailand had registered with expatvac.consular.go.th fro receive their Covid vaccines as part of the government rollout. According to the Ministry of Foreign […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 19,983 infections, news briefs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

31 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

This morning the Thai public health department have announced a further 19,983 infections and 138 Covid-related deaths to Thailand’s total number of cases – 756,505. 350 of the total are from Thai prisons. Whilst the new daily totals tally is under 20,000 for the first time in nearly a week, the Sunday totals are often lower than other days of reporting. 18,503 patients have been released from hospitals around Thailand. • As of last week, 35,455 expats in Thailand had registered with expatvac.consular.go.th fro receive their Covid vaccines as part of the government rollout. According to the Ministry of Foreign […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 19,983 infections, news briefs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"As of last week, 35,455 expats in Thailand had registered with expatvac.consular.go.th fro receive their Covid vaccines as part of the government rollout"

So has anyone living outside the governments short sighted vision namely Bangkok/Chonburi areas on this forum actually received an appointment yet ? If so where are you living ?

18 minutes ago, Kanaloa said:

So are the “probable” included in the daily figures or is this a way of massaging the figures?

I heard over on the Thai Expat Daily Show that there are over 6000 antigen tests not included in today's totals. It's unclear to me if this is recent change to how the tally is arrived at, either 6000 is a lot of uncounted. Having said that the move to using what I assume is a proven antigen test is a good thing. Imho widespread cheap but mostly accurate testing beats some so called gold standard expensive PCR test.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

"As of last week, 35,455 expats in Thailand had registered with expatvac.consular.go.th fro receive their Covid vaccines as part of the government rollout"

So has anyone living outside the governments short sighted vision namely Bangkok/Chonburi areas on this forum actually received an appointment yet ? If so where are you living ?

There was no focus on Chonburi until this week.

Friends in Buriram and Surin were vaccinated weeks ago....... vaccination seems to be patchy as you head further north. 

3 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

There was no focus on Chonburi until this week.

Friends in Buriram and Surin were vaccinated weeks ago....... vaccination seems to be patchy as you head further north. 

That's not what I was asking. I specifically was asking about those who registered on expatvac.consular.go.th and that only went live on 1st August . So again has any one on this forum received an appointment after registering on that outside of Bangkok/Chonburi  ? 

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's not what I was asking. I specifically was asking about those who registered on expatvac.consular.go.th and that only went live on 1st August . So again has any one on this forum received an appointment after registering on that outside of Bangkok/Chonburi  ? 

Understood....... I didn't read your post properly - apologies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mopi said:

I heard over on the Thai Expat Daily Show that there are over 6000 antigen tests not included in today's totals. It's unclear to me if this is recent change to how the tally is arrived at, either 6000 is a lot of uncounted. Having said that the move to using what I assume is a proven antigen test is a good thing. Imho widespread cheap but mostly accurate testing beats some so called gold standard expensive PCR test.

What show were you listening to? The TED show didn't talk about that today - they talked about the murder, protests, internet freedom and food shortages.

1 minute ago, Chaimai said:

Understood....... I didn't read your post properly - apologies.

No problem but it will be very interesting to hear from those that have. I would put money on that none has as of today but would love to be proved wrong

3 hours ago, Kanaloa said:

So are the “probable” included in the daily figures or is this a way of massaging the figures?

i believe not, and that's why they now saying to get a second test after 3 days

Numbers in Thailand is still low and a spike of Delta is not over yet, that said, there is interesting observation regarding Delta in particular, based on the charts for India and UK. i just quote it here:

"Still, there’s no question that the delta variant doesn’t have a sustained outbreak. From all this data, it’s clear the delta variant comes in, transmits quickly between people, causes a huge spike and then drops off. That’s been the pattern for the U.K. and India, two regions in the world comparable to the United States."

i think we are still on the way up, but not for a long, hopefully

coronavirus-data-explorer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Numbers in Thailand is still low and a spike of Delta is not over yet, that said, there is interesting observation regarding Delta in particular, based on the charts for India and UK. i just quote it here:

"Still, there’s no question that the delta variant doesn’t have a sustained outbreak. From all this data, it’s clear the delta variant comes in, transmits quickly between people, causes a huge spike and then drops off. That’s been the pattern for the U.K. and India, two regions in the world comparable to the United States."

i think we are still on the way up, but not for a long, hopefully

coronavirus-data-explorer.jpg

I think the peak is in soon too, but it's anyones guess. I think the analysis from some investment research websites I used was that the spikes in india and uk was around 40-50 days 

• Like 1

Look to Australia for what you should be doing about outbreaks of Delta. We were in the same position of low numbers, but have gone into lockdowns faster and sooner. India was an example of what happens when you delay. Now Thailand is experiencing the result of too little too late (hopefully not to late...for the sake of the people). Vaccination is the only way out. I see a change of government if the current government doesn't procure and administer vaccines, rapidly. If a military junta can't get the job done with military precision, and hard line tactics, then it doesn't say much about the abilities of the Thai Army. So to the Thai military! Get the job done!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gummy said:

No problem but it will be very interesting to hear from those that have. I would put money on that none has as of today but would love to be proved wrong

According to staff at my local hospital, the province has had no allocation of vaccines - not for Thais, not for farangs.  This was confirmed by staff at the hospital in Chiang Khan this week.

3 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

That’s been the pattern for the U.K. and India, two regions in the world comparable to the United States."

Interesting data. As we know, there are all kinds of differences and local factors at play. It could well be the Delta variant behaves in the way described. I had assumed the shape of the U.K. profile was due to easing/ending lockdown in June and July, and many socially active people in the 18-25 age group who were unvaccinated then spreading case numbers in to a largely vaccinated population. Let’s hope the profile is the same for Thailand and in a week or two cases genuinely start to fall.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gummy said:

This lady that reports in English on one of the Thai news sites that probably the 10 or 11th and notifications would be sent out. I live in prachinburi and submitted my application Wednesday so I'm waiting 

Folks, it's all about testing. No testing--> no cases, low testing--> 15,000-20,000 cases, as in Thailand.

Thailand is conducting about 50,000-60,000 tests a day since July (before that it was 15,000-20,000). Malaysia, by comparison, is conducting 100,000-120,000 tests a day, at less than half the population.

455005104_Thailandcovidtesting.png.64e4addf57c99dd9ae06b3c85722a831.png

So, if they were testing at the Malaysia level, would they have 50,000 to 100,000 daily cases? You be the judge.

Also, while Malaysia has fully vaccinated about 25% of its population, Thailand is only at about 6%. Double whammy basically.

Edited by Leo
  • Like 1

like to know how they are coming up with these numbers. friend of mine been traveling all round pattaya trying to get a covid test cannot find anywhere doing them for free,,for thai people.. so where do these thousands of infection numbers come from?