Do you ever pay people you photograph?

SomTum

For the moment, let's set aside the people who dress in hill tribe outfits and rent themselves out as models at temples. I'm thinking more of street vendors or random people out and about.

I've had street vendors wave me off -- "No photo" -- if I haven't made a purchase from them. I can understand that they don't want access to their fried chicken stand blocked by a bunch of gawking tourists, but sometimes I am too full to eat more chicken. Does anyone offer cash in exchange for a smile?

8 hours ago, SomTum said:

I'm thinking more of street vendors or random people out and about.

I've had street vendors wave me off -- "No photo" -- if I haven't made a purchase from them. I can understand that they don't want access to their fried chicken stand blocked by a bunch of gawking tourists, but sometimes I am too full to eat more chicken. Does anyone offer cash in exchange for a smile?

Unless you're a reporter doing a specific story, why on earth would you want a photo of some random street vendor?

Very strange fetish IMO

Just now, Ubon2530 said:

Unless you're a reporter doing a specific story, why on earth would you want a photo of some random street vendor?

Very strange fetish IMO

Guess it is a step up from taking up skirt shots !?

27 minutes ago, Ubon2530 said:

Very strange fetish IMO

I have a thing about street food and how it's prepared.

1 minute ago, SomTum said:

I have a thing about street food and how it's prepared.

You mean what the cook is wearing during it's preparation  or selling ? Something like this then interests you

7pmvi.jpg

I pay a lot of money to photograph models.  Usually in a studio or at a specific location. Street photography isn't a fetish.  When done well it is art.  Most Thai people love to have their picture taken and will pose and smile.  The trick is to get a photo before they know you are taking it.  I guess I just like to capture life in the street as it happens.  Most street food vendors also love to have their picture taken.  The only ones that have been been reluctant to have their photo taken are the ones selling more exotic things like scorpions on a stick.  Everyone wants to takes a photo, but no one buys the scorpions or are willing to eat them. They will allow photos but often ask for a token fee if you refuse to buy their food.  The trick here is to buy the scorpion and photograph someone else eating it!   lol

• Like 2

ok my $0,02 or 2 baht:

In western countries being out in the public means your out in the public and like to be photographed or at-least law doesn't protect you from having your photo taken in a lot of places.

Pictures in current Thailand, I'm torn I would not pay but I can also find the logic in @bushav8r's logic of paying food from a food stand and that would make it ok then again. Different people, different approaches.