Police and protesters clash at increasingly aggressive protests

Thaiger

Tensions flared at today’s anti-government protests, as demonstrators had to re-route 3 times due to police pushback efforts. The original plan was to meet at the Democracy Monument at 2 pm today and march to the Grand Palace, as pro-monarchy groups called for the army to step in and fortify the historic complex they called a sacred site. But police were ready and firm, meeting protesters with tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons to drive them back. Restart Democracy, or Redem, the collection of pro-democracy groups brought together by the Free Youth movement, were set to gather, with a […]

The post Police and protesters clash at increasingly aggressive protests appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I would say looking at streams it was more like Police attack peaceful protesters with tear gas, water canon and rubber bullets. 

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

I would say looking at streams it was more like Police attack peaceful protesters with tear gas, water canon and rubber bullets. 

From the news the streets looked reminiscent of the Red Shirt war zones back in the day. They were certainly held back this time. Better luck next time. 

• Like 1

I have said it before and I will keep saying it - they are being stupid and playing into the Junta's hands.  It is one thing to protest against an allegedly corrupt and proven incompetent Government, but to protest against the Monarchy and demand reform is a totally different thing and is stupid and is illegal.  Because it is illegal the Govt can take legal actions, and because it is in the middle of the pandemic when infections are at their highest also means the Govt can take actions. Stupid on those 2 points.  But to also protest against the Monarchy only divides the Thai community and forces most to choose sides - which the Junta wants - because then the issue is not about them. Stupid Stupid Stupid. 

Shut up and wait. Focus on the Govt being changed - leave the Monarchy alone you idiots.

Thinking ahead aint in the Thai genes - but I can easily see one scenario ahead.  The Junta loses the election and they decide to 'do a Myanmar'. If they have the support of the Monarchy then they will be able to go ahead.  There are so many other scenarios with a bad outcome. They must stop and think and if they do they will realise they can have one - but not both (this/next decade).  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thai3 said:

Well they usually do, whatever the "boss wants, the boss gets".

So happy to read the 3 goals of all this farce. Was wondering what they actually wanted. Clearly shows an IQ of Thai so called "free youth". Pathetic.... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thomazz59 said:

The current monarch of Thailand is at a Buddhist Monastery in Chiangmai Province.  

Really ?

Just now, poohy said:

More importantly Why i wonder is grand palace surrounded by oil  tankers

Even more importantly , who gives a damn ?

10 hours ago, thai3 said:

Without even watching....I just know it's a bunch of self aggrandised MFA's who believe their rights are more important than lessening the impact of the current outbreak.  Then go home and infect their families, and neighbours.  Wankers one and all!

• Angry 1

It's a shame to march in a super spreader event but if you have no means to work for money in Thailand I just don't know which side I'm on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, gummy said:

Even more importantly , who gives a damn ?

You dont know many ex thammasat folks then most of my old staff hailed from there 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RWD said:

Without even watching....I just know it's a bunch of self aggrandised MFA's who believe their rights are more important than lessening the impact of the current outbreak.  Then go home and infect their families, and neighbours.  Wankers one and all!

Change is long overdue here, evil men win when good men do nothing

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, RWD said:

WOW! You wrote: Without even watching....I just know it's a bunch of self aggrandised MFA's 

Thanks for that > without even reading any of your future posts, I know they will be a bunch of crap so will avoid wasting time on them...

16 minutes ago, Shane said:

It's a shame to march in a super spreader event but if you have no means to work for money in Thailand I just don't know which side I'm on. 

You don't have to be on any side.....we don't have a horse in this race.

Stay for any length of time in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) and you cannot help but take some degree of interest in local politics. I suppose 'choosing a side' has become the norm these days but, in all honesty, too many Farangs come here and try to impose western thinking/beliefs on a country where they they are designated as aliens and would never have the ability to vote for the side they choose.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

You don't have to be on any side.....we don't have a horse in this race.

Stay for any length of time in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) and you cannot help but take some degree of interest in local politics. I suppose 'choosing a side' has become the norm these days but, in all honesty, too many Farangs come here and try to impose western thinking/beliefs on a country where they they are designated as aliens and would never have the ability to vote for the side they choose.

If they received Thai nationality then they would have the same rights as Thais born here yet still would be a foreigner by looks and original country of birth. Therefore why shouldn't they voice their opinion ? Or are you suggesting that those that receive nationality from any country other than their country of birth then they should have no rights ? If so 30% of the UK wouldn't be allowed to vote as one example!!

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

If they received Thai nationality then they would have the same rights as Thais born here yet still would be a foreigner by looks and original country of birth. Therefore why shouldn't they voice their opinion ? Or are you suggesting that those that receive nationality from any country other than their country of birth then they should have no rights ? If so 30% of the UK wouldn't be allowed to vote as one example!!

Farangs receiving Thai nationality ????????

I am talking about Farangs in Thailand where their status is 'alien'. They have few rights and certainly no rights to become involved in Thai politics.

• Like 2

Just now, Chaimai said:

Farangs receiving Thai nationality ????????

I am talking about Farangs in Thailand where their status is 'alien'. They have few rights and certainly no rights to become involved in Thai politics.

You should be clearly stated "Farangs come here and try to impose western thinking/beliefs on a country where they they are designated as aliens and would never have the ability to vote for the side they choose."

I provided the reason why they could vote and also by virtue of that,  your statement that they would never have the ability to vote is incorrect. They/we do have the ability to do just that should they/we so wish and meet the criteria set to do so.

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

You should be clearly stated "Farangs come here and try to impose western thinking/beliefs on a country where they they are designated as aliens and would never have the ability to vote for the side they choose."

I provided the reason why they could vote and also by virtue of that,  your statement that they would never have the ability to vote is incorrect. They/we do have the ability to do just that should they/we so wish and meet the criteria set to do so.

Slight semantics as I imagine the number of Farangs who have renounced their existing citizenships in favour of Thailand (+all the hoops to go through) are minimal. I suspect that you are fully aware that my reference is to normal expat community who have chosen to reside in Thailand without any 'rights'.

Permanent Residency is a tough enough challenge that bestows no constitutional benefits.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Slight semantics as I imagine the number of Farangs who have renounced their existing citizenships in favour of Thailand (+all the hoops to go through) are minimal. I suspect that you are fully aware that my reference is to normal expat community who have chosen to reside in Thailand without any 'rights'.

Permanent Residency is a tough enough challenge that bestows no constitutional benefits.

I agree with you in part and even though I have been here a very long time like yourself, and prior to 2015 met the criteria, I wouldn't even consider it as I would not want the embarrassment in telling my friends I did it ? Having said that there is one member I know off on this forum that received Thai nationality and as you are probably  aware there were quite a few  on that "other" forum.

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Having said that there is one member I know off on this forum that received Thai nationality and as you are probably  aware there were quite a few  on that "other" forum.

Fair comment, Gummy, with the change of citizenship issue taking many differing perspectives according to an individual's ethics and patriotism.

I'll tell you what, though, it would be really good if TT could go a full day without anyone feeling the need or urge to mention the "other" forum. We're all here now and let's celebrate that!

• Like 1

I am one of the many non Thais that now hold Thai citizenship and no need to renounce my original citizenship. One of the reasons for getting Thai nationality was that I could see this present situation coming  years ago. Hence getting Thai nationality would achieve 2 goals; being able to stay in the country hassle free and also being able to exit the country (and re-enter at any point in the future) reasonably hassle free.

It's all very well telling people to stay at home and not protest but what are the alternatives? This is what happens when discourse and discussion are actively discouraged. They have not been encouraged in the past but the economy managed to keep things going relatively smoothly. However the economy has been effectively crushed, so what are the options now for the youth of today?   

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

It's all very well telling people to stay at home and not protest but what are the alternatives? This is what happens when discourse and discussion are actively discouraged. They have not been encouraged in the past but the economy managed to keep things going relatively smoothly. However the economy has been effectively crushed, so what are the options now for the youth of today?   

Catch covid?