UPDATE: Suspect in Swiss murder in Phuket is a Thai man

Thaiger

33 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

There was English police here in Kho Tao 

yes - and it was the English police who (in a sense) pointed the finger at the Burmese.  So its interesting you bring up this ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/29/uk-police-broke-law-in-case-of-british-backpackers-murdered-in-thailand

The British Police (purported by the Guardian, illegally) used phone data to confirm the Burmese were in the area where the murders took place at the time of the murder.

But of course, very few people know or remember this. Rather the cynics prefer to point the finger at only the Thai police.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Transam said:

The team were made up of detectives from various parts of the UK...It is safe to say they were British as I don't know if an Irish, Welsh or Scot were drawn from an English force. 

That was really why I was asking the question of the poster because the original reporting stated British detectives yet the poster stated English, hence my question how did he know ?

20 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Not that its relevant. First visit, 1990.  First started living here 1997.

Are you cynical about this?  

I share the view of this PhuketNews article opinion article:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-how-to-catch-a-killer-80972.php

Note also, in this case, there was a Swiss Police observer involved in the investigation.  How often do you recall that being done in Thailand?

It's only relevant in that there is a pattern of deception and lying by the RTP. Anyone who lived here through the Koh Tao murders (committed by the Tavoochian family; covered up with Burmese scapegoats)  would know how money and influence buys freedom from crime here.  Look at how even in this foreign tourist murder, the RTP have changed the story from rape to robbery so as not to further upset Phuket's tourism industry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim68 said:

It's only relevant in that there is a pattern of deception and lying by the RTP. Anyone who lived here through the Koh Tao murders (committed by the Tavoochian family; covered up with Burmese scapegoats)  would know how money and influence buys freedom from crime here.  Look at how even in this foreign tourist murder, the RTP have changed the story from rape to robbery so as not to further upset Phuket's tourism industry. 

One comment I can make (living in this neighbourhood) is the former Head of Tourist police used to live himself in this neighbourhood, prior to taking a very senior job in Bangkok.  There has been at least one recent case (prior to this murder) where there were robberies in this neighbourhood (either side of his villa) , and to solve it there were a VERY large number of police investigating, with the locals view was this large police effort just to sort a robbery was because of this senior police officer.  My understanding is he still owns his villa in the neighbourhood.   

I think it is in his interests to see the real perpetrator caught.  So while many of us (like myself) see the high Sandbox profile, the Swiss government influence/pressure as factors to see someone caught quickly, there are also some of us (who are locals) who know that this very senior police officer does not want a known murderer running around in "his neighbourhood" where he owns property.  He doesn't want a scapegoat - he wants to catch the real murderer.

I could say more, but I prefer not to in a public forum.

Edited by oldcpu

1 hour ago, Jim68 said:

Look at how even in this foreign tourist murder, the RTP have changed the story from rape to robbery so as not to further upset Phuket's tourism industry. 

... or was that the press just getting the story wrong - where the press 'sources' prior to the official police statement, were embellishing what they told the press ? 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, gummy said:

That was really why I was asking the question of the poster because the original reporting stated British detectives yet the poster stated English, hence my question how did he know ?

Haha...maybe like the majority of people not from the u.k. the poster uses British and English interchangeably (admittedly erroneously). And because really, and especially, in this instance who cares?

• Like 2