Food shortages beginning as Covid-19 limits production

Thaiger

1 minute ago, OneAngryJew said:

I frequently by tomatoes in bulk from Tesco. I usually by 2 kg at a time. Now I can't by any

You call 2 kg bulk ?

7 minutes ago, NumbNut said:

How's the pasta sauce situation in Hua Hin. I'm in Cha-am so a quick trip down should be no worries

Pasta sauce and pasta was the first thing i stocked up on months ago so i stopped looking. 

i thought i saw sauce at Makro north of HH.

What about that new Makro near you? 

Have you looked in Big C HH? they have a small "international food" area.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Pasta sauce and pasta was the first thing i stocked up on months ago so i stopped looking. 

i thought i saw sauce at Makro north of HH.

What about that new Makro near you? 

Have you looked in Big C HH? they have a small "international food" area.  

Good move stocking up like that. Thanks for the tips too, will look into it next time I'm near Hua Hin. 

The new Makro at Cha-am on Narathip Road was the one I was referring to.

Still a mystery though why there's so much pasta of all varieties available but bugger-all pasta sauce. Maybe the locals use it apart from pasta? 

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

You didn't fancy the sandbox ? 

I'm going to have to make that decision next week and I think it has to be Phuket. 2 weeks in a hotel room would tip me over the edge! I would be forever searching for rope ladders on Lazada. Are you allowed a beer in your room ?

There's no alcohol allowed. I'm doing fine though. I'm used to doing time. I work in remote places a lot with very sparse accommodation so it isn't a problem for me. 

5 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

If you do aggressive testing, then find a lab that will reduce the cycle threshold to <25 cycles to reduce the amount of false positives. 

The number of cycles for PCR tests is mandated by the manufacturers, nobody else, and varies between manufacturers.  Do above or below the mandated number and the results are invalid.

While this is a favourite battle-cry for the flat-earthers, it's no more valid than saying that thermometers give a false reading if you put them in a kettle of boiling water or a fridge rather than use them as the manufacturers mandate. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

You didn't fancy the sandbox ? 

I'm going to have to make that decision next week and I think it has to be Phuket. 2 weeks in a hotel room would tip me over the edge! I would be forever searching for rope ladders on Lazada. Are you allowed a beer in your room ?

Two weeks in ASQ sucked but it was not the end of the world, the way things are going in Phuket I would pass on that and just do a cheap ASQ hotel. On the booze, its not allowed but I had a couple big bottles in my luggage, I didn't imbibe the entire time but you could easily bring some booze with you, they are not gonna check as you are considered a walking bioweapon from the point of leaving the airport until you are in your room and they don't want to touch you or your stuff.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

The number of cycles for PCR tests is mandated by the manufacturers, nobody else, and varies between manufacturers.  Do above or below the mandated number and the results are invalid.. 

So, if the manufacturers say that xx cycles must be done, than everyone administering the tests does that? or..... 

Care to involve some proof? 

1 hour ago, thaifarmer said:

So, if the manufacturers say that xx cycles must be done, than everyone administering the tests does that? or..... 

@Stonker > The attached Feb 2021 article/study by Alejandro SOUSA does not inspire much confidence in the reliability of PCR as a diagnostic instrument and its test-results.

40-Cycle RT-PCR Test for Covid 19 by Alejandro SOUSA - Feb 2021.pdf

1 hour ago, thaifarmer said:

So is this relevant or have an impact on to the food shortages ?

8 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Two weeks in ASQ sucked but it was not the end of the world, the way things are going in Phuket I would pass on that and just do a cheap ASQ hotel. On the booze, its not allowed but I had a couple big bottles in my luggage, I didn't imbibe the entire time but you could easily bring some booze with you, they are not gonna check as you are considered a walking bioweapon from the point of leaving the airport until you are in your room and they don't want to touch you or your stuff.

haha - in the fog of internet suggestions that's actually a decent tip - just to play on the fact that I am a walking Typhoid Mary - I'm thinking the largest jar of Marmite I can find and a magnum of Bollinger !!!

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

haha - in the fog of internet suggestions that's actually a decent tip - just to play on the fact that I am a walking Typhoid Mary - I'm thinking the largest jar of Marmite I can find and a magnum of Bollinger !!!

I had a handle of black label from Costco I brought for a buddy and a really nice shochu I bought on the JAL flight for a Thai friend here. I did have the hotel staff get me some soda water a couple of times from seven so I could have enjoyed that national drink of Thailand but I actually spent most of the 2 weeks fasting, reading and shitposting on tinder.

19 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

@Stonker > The attached Feb 2021 article/study by Alejandro SOUSA does not inspire much confidence in the reliability of PCR as a diagnostic instrument and its test-results.

40-Cycle RT-PCR Test for Covid 19 by Alejandro SOUSA - Feb 2021.pdf 300.16 kB · 0 downloads

@Stonker > Hi, hope you aren't ill, or did you miss that article/study I posted on the worthlessness and downright scam of the PCR-test as a diagnostic instrument and its test results.  I kind of expected it being ripped to shreds by you considering your earlier post on the subject.  Or do you agree, that would be a first, but of course there is a 1st time for everything...  Cheers!

On 8/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, Stonker said:

The number of cycles for PCR tests is mandated by the manufacturers, nobody else, and varies between manufacturers.  Do above or below the mandated number and the results are invalid.

While this is a favourite battle-cry for the flat-earthers, it's no more valid than saying that thermometers give a false reading if you put them in a kettle of boiling water or a fridge rather than use them as the manufacturers mandate. 

22 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

Well, it's a bit like any other test where it's possible to use the equipment wrongly to get a false result, from a thermometer to a tape measure.

Must be one hell of a conspiracy .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

@Stonker > Hi, hope you aren't ill, or did you miss that article/study I posted on the worthlessness and downright scam of the PCR-test as a diagnostic instrument and its test results.  I kind of expected it being ripped to shreds by you considering your earlier post on the subject.  Or do you agree, that would be a first, but of course there is a 1st time for everything...  Cheers!

No, didn't miss it, but since every time I go through one of your links and tear it to shreds, showing that the author was convicted of a dozen counts of fraud and / or has been disbarred, isn't a doctor of medicine after all, or simply didn't say what you claimed, or that your supposed study didn't have anything to do with what you claimed, etc, etc, and you've never bothered to acknowledge that what you said was incorrect, I can't be bothered to waste my time anymore.

22 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, didn't miss it, but since every time I go through one of your links and tear it to shreds, showing that the author was convicted of a dozen counts of fraud and / or has been disbarred, isn't a doctor of medicine after all, or simply didn't say what you claimed, or that your supposed study didn't have anything to do with what you claimed, etc, etc, and you've never bothered to acknowledge that what you said was incorrect, I can't be bothered to waste my time anymore.

Are you saying that the author of that article on the PCR-test isn't a doctor of medicine? 

> http://www.masterurologiafuncional.com/index.php/profesorado/8-profesorado/12-alejandro-sousa-escandon

Or that he is a fraud or debarred or any other reason for dismissing the content of that article? 

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

Are you saying that the author of that article on the PCR-test isn't a doctor of medicine? 

> http://www.masterurologiafuncional.com/index.php/profesorado/8-profesorado/12-alejandro-sousa-escandon

Or that he is a fraud or debarred or any other reason for dismissing the content of that article? 

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

No, what I'm saying has nothing to do with Dr Alejandro, it's simply you and boy who cried wolf syndrome.

There's a possibility, however remote, that something you say may have at least a grain of truth, reason and logic to it.

Unfortunately nothing you've said so far has and they've all proved to be either irrelevant, not what you claim, or written by a fraud, so I just can't be bothered see if this is finally the exception.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, gummy said:

So is this relevant or have an impact on to the food shortages ?

No, sorry, my fault as I swallowed the bait ..... again.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

No, what I'm saying has nothing to do with Dr Alejandro, it's simply you and boy who cried wolf syndrome.

There's a possibility, however remote, that something you say may have at least a grain of truth, reason and logic to it.

Unfortunately nothing you've said so far has and they've all proved to be either irrelevant, not what you claim, or written by a fraud, so I just can't be bothered see if this is finally the exception.

Thanks!  And glad to hear I haven't lost it yet.  Being denounced by the likes of you is one of the biggest compliments and encouragements I could get, and definite proof that I am on the right track with my postings.  So I will proudly wear that coveted Stonker PIL Badge (PIL = Perpetual Irrelevant Liar) as a sign of distinction and honour.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, dj230 said:

No shortages of kfc, bananas or apples 

No KFC here, I wanted some the other day and we drove by..locked and dark. 

The wife hasn't mentioned any shortages, but if things do get any worse, we'll stock up again, like we did the first time around. 

Always have plenty of rice, canned goods just in case, but meat products at CP or Betagro seem to be fine, so far.

13 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

No KFC here, I wanted some the other day and we drove by..locked and dark. 

The wife hasn't mentioned any shortages, but if things do get any worse, we'll stock up again, like we did the first time around. 

Always have plenty of rice, canned goods just in case, but meat products at CP or Betagro seem to be fine, so far.

I noticed restaurants are closing earlier, maybe that's why, one kfc near me closes at 4pm, have to remember to order my 200 baht 6 piece special, with 14 chicken bites, can't beat it

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

Update on the Cha-am Makro Pasta Sauce saga... there isn't any. Zero, nada, zilch!

The shelves are bare. Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make pasta sauce!

I see the manufactured meat section is getting low now. Fresh meats (Chicken and pork) still seems unaffected, along with fresh fish stocks. Rice, eggs don't seem in short supply either. Instant noodles are low though.

Anyone else noticing any shortages?

• Like 1

No shortages of anything here.  I checked with the wife and she says all is good.

The supermarkets don't have empty shelves and the wet markets are brimming with veggies and fresh food.

You guys are making me laugh with your pasta sauce conundrum.  You BUY pasta sauce?  I don't think I've bought pre-made pasta sauce but maybe three times in 40 years.  I make mine, from tomato sauce or puree, sometimes even fresh tomatoes if I have gobs of them.

• Like 2