Qatar grounds it's A350 fleet and suspends new deliveries

KaptainRob

https://samchui.com/2021/08/05/qatar-airways-grounds-13-airbus-a350-due-to-paint-issue-re-activate-a330/#.YQzZsNMzblw

spacer.png

QATAR AIRWAYS GROUNDS 13 AIRBUS A350S, RE-ACTIVATES A330S

SAM CHUI AUGUST 5, 2021

In June, Qatar Airways paused deliveries of Airbus A350 aircraft, citing a flaw in which surfaces below the paint were degrading “at an accelerated rate”.

Today in a statement issued by the airline, Qatar Airways has mentioned that they have, following the explicit written instruction of its regulator, now grounded thirteen Airbus A350 aircraft; effectively removing them from service, until such time as the root cause can be established and a satisfactory solution made available to permanently correct the underlying condition. 2 A350-1000s and 11 A350-900s are involved.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

https://samchui.com/2021/08/05/qatar-airways-grounds-13-airbus-a350-due-to-paint-issue-re-activate-a330/#.YQzZsNMzblw

spacer.png

QATAR AIRWAYS GROUNDS 13 AIRBUS A350S, RE-ACTIVATES A330S

SAM CHUI AUGUST 5, 2021

In June, Qatar Airways paused deliveries of Airbus A350 aircraft, citing a flaw in which surfaces below the paint were degrading “at an accelerated rate”.

Today in a statement issued by the airline, Qatar Airways has mentioned that they have, following the explicit written instruction of its regulator, now grounded thirteen Airbus A350 aircraft; effectively removing them from service, until such time as the root cause can be established and a satisfactory solution made available to permanently correct the underlying condition. 2 A350-1000s and 11 A350-900s are involved.

Would that be caused by the Froggies watering down the paint to save costs ??

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

Very funny. 

IMO it's likely a fault with the etch primer which must be applied to raw aluminium.  Or, improper of preparation of surfaces before and after the primer.

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Very funny. 

IMO it's likely a fault with the etch primer which must be applied to raw aluminium.  Or, improper of preparation of surfaces before and after the primer.

Guess ANAC were the paint suppliers. Used to know the AksoNoble SE Asia Manager as he was based in Thailand. He would often remark that his technical team were constantly called upon for advice on paint repairs. If I remember correctly most repairs required was due to accidental damage. 

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

Guess ANAC were the paint suppliers. Used to know the AksoNoble SE Asia Manager as he was based in Thailand. He would often remark that his technical team were constantly called upon for advice on paint repairs. If I remember correctly most repairs required was due to accidental damage. 

Accident damage is often minor yet it requires expert attention.  Aircraft can suffer from salt corrosion if paintwork is compromised and that could lead to structural failure. 

In this case it may be a full strip, sand and repaint job which can take 3 weeks for each A350, an expensive process!  Article here explains it > https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/how-airplanes-are-painted

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Accident damage is often minor yet it requires expert attention.  Aircraft can suffer from salt corrosion if paintwork is compromised and that could lead to structural failure. 

In this case it may be a full strip, sand and repaint job which can take 3 weeks for each A350, an expensive process!  Article here explains it > https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/how-airplanes-are-painted

Please note I am sharing a few likes with you as per your earlier note, and in the same font size

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Please note I am sharing a few likes with you as per your earlier note, and in the same font size

Thanks pal. 

48 minutes ago, gummy said:

I do get the impression they were trying to save Monet.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

I do get the impression they were trying to save Monet.

Must have been their inflight entertainment

29 minutes ago, gummy said:

Must have been their inflight entertainment

It was low Cezanne, and that's all they could afford.

57 minutes ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

. . . It was low Cezanne, . . .

Low Cezanne . . . oh, hold me up, somebody. Better than saving Monet though!

Edited by King Cotton
Alteration
  • Haha 1

I read a more complete report, it's the composite material that makes the aircraft lighter that is breaking down, and they aren't sure why.

It wouldn't be the paint, and it's not the aluminum, it's the composite.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:05 PM, Ttalk said:

Interesting. 

Seems it's still a bonding issue and with composites perhaps due to the waxes used as a release agent?  Probably not as much of a safety issue but costly in long term maintenance. 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, KaptainRob said:

Jesus wept I'm flying in a weeks time, can we postpone all talk of 'structural failure' until after that ? Or shall I just take a set of brushes with me ?

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Jesus wept I'm flying in a weeks time, can we postpone all talk of 'structural failure' until after that ? Or shall I just take a set of brushes with me ?

Parachute might be best.  ?

I'm a lot happier to learn that it's a composite bonding issue.  Cosmetics rather than structure being compromised.

• Haha 1

Provided that what you are saying is correct-- in that the composites aren't bonding together properly.

Since composites are bonded together to make a structure, the carbon skin is bonded to the carbon frames, and the carbon stringers are bonded to the skin-- that would be a structural issue. 

However, what I have heard from the media , is that it is a skin surface deterioration issue.

Which if left unaddressed, would be a potential structural issue again as the elements would penetrate the carbon  layers, and start the process of delamination.

Am waiting to hear the real word as to what the problem is from a qualified source.

• 2 months later...

A330 is a better choice for Covid situation because of configuration.

A350 is usually 3-3-3 and A330 2-4-2. A330 is also cheaper and has a shorter range, and less long haul in the near future, so a good choice I think.