TAT touts the Phuket Sandbox first month July successes

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The official numbers are out and the Tourism Authority of Thailand has touted success in the Phuket Sandbox plan’s first month, with over 14,000 international travellers arriving and a reported 829 million baht of revenue generated in July. Between the reopening date July 1 and the end of the month July 31, 14,055 travellers arrived, and the 829 million baht spent means people spent an average of just under 59,000 baht per person spent. The United States had the most citizens travelling to Thailand with 1,802 people, followed by the United Kingdom with 1,558 travellers. Israel brought 1,455 people to […]

The post TAT touts the Phuket Sandbox first month July successes appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Leaving Sandbox tourists who wants to visit other provinces stranded in Phuket with all domestic flight cancelled till 16th August (which they may even extend these restrictions till end of August, if Covid 19 situation in Thailand don't improve - difficult to improve due to shortage of high efficacy vaccines).

I really doubt they are going to get that many tourists for the Phuket Sandbox, at least not till domestic flight resume.

For a "Pro" Tourists Country, TAT does little or close to nothing to help Stranded Sandbox Tourists. 

If you need to be in other province in the month of August, it is better to go for ASQ option at your intended destination. But, if you only want to spend time in Phuket, it is still ok, if you're not here for drinking and partying.

Good to see the money is following into Thailand. I only wish the Australian government would open us up so I can travel to Thailand. 

Well if they  just get around 115.000 "tourists" for the next 2 month, then they could then say it's half a succes according to there projectives in May 2021. 

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/tat-looks-forward-to-welcoming-129000-foreign-tourists-to-phuket

For it to be a total succes, each "tourists" also need to spend at least  Bath 200.000 each for the next 2 month

• Haha 1

The TAT’s announcement closed with the hope of opening Krabi and Phang Nga to tourism within the month of August. When they open, authorities aim to implement a 7+7 scheme that allows Sandboxers to spend their second 7 days in the neighbouring provinces, allowing travellers to spend a week in places like Koh Phi Phi, Railay Beach, Khao Lak and Ko Yao.

image.jpeg.e7a1ca47af422c48e0a1238300b5158e.jpeg

• Like 2

It's been such a success that the UN, WHO, G8, the entire crew of the Star Ship Enterprise  are holding an emergency meeting just to eat a celebratory cake. The rest of the Planet have taken note and ceremoniously binned it. Despite how much spin Timmy, his side kick and Bill put on this it is a complete failure.

Edited by KaptainRob
abusive comment deleted
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The Thai press report my wife read hadn't mentioned "Her jeans and panties were found nearby, along with black Nike shoes and a mobile phone" to quote the Thaiger report, hence my wife assuming the motive was robbery, being unaware of rape as mentioned in BKK Post.

I think robbery is the obvious motive, but one report I read said she was still wearing jewellery??  Also why was the mobile left behind, possibly worried about tracing it?

As I mentioned before, one story going around is that this was a deliberate attempt to stop the sandbox and other similar ideas that may have gone horribly wrong? Personally I don’t buy in to that as a motive, but it’s at least something they authorities need to consider. It will be hard to find the person or persons who did this. Random, motiveless  attacks are very difficult. 

• Like 2

Would be nice to know how many of these 14000 ' tourists ' will depart Thailand again soon ...

I guess a lot have been returning expats and thais who came to stay ...?

Consequently , no genuine tourists .

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Would be nice to know how many of these 14000 ' tourists ' will depart Thailand again soon ...

Plus of course the ones who got murdered whilst here and they will go back in a body bag.

14 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

I know of one going today and another one Sunday

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Shane said:

Good to see the money is following into Thailand. I only wish the Australian government would open us up so I can travel to Thailand. 

<sarcasm>

If you believe TAT then send me your banking info and I'LL get you into LOS!

</sarcasm>

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, gummy said:

Plus of course the ones who got murdered whilst here and they will go back in a body bag.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58112979

"And government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said that Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha had ordered police "to expedite the investigation to identify and arrest the culprit".

He also ordered officials to increase security in Phuket. "

• Like 1

Just now, pascal said:

lol sounds as they victims of their own propaganda hihihihih .......really big success indeed ........

First TAT try to convince the world with their BS that Phuket was safe and now sadly they have proven that they have actually convinced themselves that their BS was accurate.

Not that I would really believe anything TAT is saying. (I like positivity, but not at the expense of the truth). But it is a start. Is it perfect...no. Is it a flop...no. It's a start. What I am most concerned about is the level of vaccination among the Thais in Phuket. I'm not interested in the number of first doses only in the number of fully vaccinated Thais in Phuket. If every foreign visitor, expat returning , Thai returning is fully vaccinated and the population is also at a high level of second dose vaccination, this scheme not only has a good chance of success, it could be a great way for Thais and expats to return home,as well as a way to get Phuket back to normality. I jus hope the Thai Government doesn't "drop the ball" on vaccinating the Thais of Phuket. That really would be a path to failure.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

But it is a start. Is it perfect

No, but let the sneering  continue. Some people are only happy at other people's perceived downfall. Shame, but leave them to it. Particularly sad is the 'I know two who.......' as if it makes a difference. Its achieved its objective which was getting some, any, people in and flights operating again.

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

I jus hope the Thai Government doesn't "drop the ball" on vaccinating the Thais of Phuket. That really would be a path to failure.   

Maybe the other 95%+ of the Thai population who care very little either about or for the "Thais of Phuket"  but who would also like to be vaccinated may not feel the same way.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

No, but let the sneering  continue. Some people are only happy at other people's perceived downfall. Shame, but leave them to it. Particularly sad is the 'I know two who.......' as if it makes a difference. Its achieved its objective which was getting some, any, people in and flights operating again.

"The highly anticipated Phuket “Sandbox” scheme will be closely monitored by the Thai government and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) as it aims to revive the local economy and become a beacon of hope for numerous other sun-kissed locations and provinces across the country."Jul 1, 2564 BE

That was the full objective of the sandbox scheme. 3 main objectives according to that article and I would suggest that on the last 2 objectives of the scheme it has been nothing but an abject failure