TAT touts the Phuket Sandbox first month July successes

Thaiger

The official numbers are out and the Tourism Authority of Thailand has touted success in the Phuket Sandbox plan’s first month, with over 14,000 international travellers arriving and a reported 829 million baht of revenue generated in July. Between the reopening date July 1 and the end of the month July 31, 14,055 travellers arrived, and the 829 million baht spent means people spent an average of just under 59,000 baht per person spent. The United States had the most citizens travelling to Thailand with 1,802 people, followed by the United Kingdom with 1,558 travellers. Israel brought 1,455 people to […]

The post TAT touts the Phuket Sandbox first month July successes appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

37 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The official numbers are out and the Tourism Authority of Thailand has touted success in the Phuket Sandbox plan’s first month

touted
attempt to sell (something), typically by pestering people in an aggressive or bold manner.

Can they tout, or guesstimate the total for the month of August so we know what they think is a success now. I am sure it won’t match at the end of the month. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The TAT expects numbers to ramp up in the next 2 months" - It's not just a river in Egypt. The article itself points out the reservation number for August are half that of July. Other than blind hope what's the basis to expect an increase?  As for total TAT numbers, they are now projecting  a total of 100K tourists in the first three months (which in an of itself absurd to expect at this point). However in June that projection was 600K. In what world is getting a sixth of your original target a "success"? They also projected 15B baht revenue over three months, but only got 830M in month one. Clearly they must being expecting a windfall of spending in August and September. You might be able to argue the sandbox is a success at various levels. However it's a hard sell when it comes to actual number of tourist and spending, it's pretty much a failure.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Its just lies and propaganda from TAT because its failed. So tell them what we say they will believe what we say. American numbers were 1,802 arrived the UK figure was 1,558 Israel was 1,445 so that is 4,805 in total from these three country's as being the most tourist arrivals. So where did the 10, 000 to make up there total of 14,055 Tourists come from to make that total Number ? Tell us the truth or is it fake news.

Edited by vlad
  • Like 5

TAT is completely ignoring the adverse impact of banning restaurants from serving alcohol. I am scheduled to visit Phuket in mid-August but am now reconsidering those plans. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BillEsq said:

TAT is completely ignoring the adverse impact of banning restaurants from serving alcohol. I am scheduled to visit Phuket in mid-August but am now reconsidering those plans. 

Well, that'll be one less then. Everybody celebrate.

The mirror and smoke bean counters are hard at work, to portray failure as success. 

The highly questionable, 1455 "tourists" have spent an average of 59,000 baht each.

Nothing is open, the longer they are here, the less there is open and the more restrictions there is.

How did they spend 59,000 baht, and on what? ?????

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

But how many were actually tourists, why is it such a delicate issue that they won't give the numbers? 

I have put off going to my house in Phuket from the UK month after month as we are free in the UK to do as we please now so why would I want to put myself in a 'jail' as I was for seven months last year in Phuket during the various states of lockdowns?

So I can imagine a number of the people arriving are like me with their own accommodation after the time spent in a hotel for two weeks (or is it less than that now?).

3 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The mirror and smoke bean counters are hard at work, to portray failure as success. 

The highly questionable, 1455 "tourists" have spent an average of 59,000 baht each.

Nothing is open, the longer they are here, the less there is open and the more restrictions there is.

On hotel accommodation and hotel food and drink?

• Like 3

The seafood Restaurants must be making a mint if tourists are spending 59-60 thousand in 4 weeks there are no bars or amenities open so as Biggles said what have they been spending on ??. The TAT are spreading fake information and telling lies.   Were not gullible tell us the truth.

• Like 4

When it becomes mainstream news abroad particularly Europe about the discovery of the Swiss woman's body ( presumed murdered to quote a headline ) then they just as well turn out the lights .. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vlad said:

Its just lies and propaganda from TAT because its failed. So tell them what we say they will believe what we say. American numbers were 1,802 arrived the UK figure was 1,558 Israel was 1,445 so that is 4,805 in total from these three country's as being the most tourist arrivals. So where did the 10, 000 to make up there total of 14,055 Tourists come from to make that total Number ? Tell us the truth or is it fake news.

They're "international travellers", not tourists... My Thai friends and working expats I know say that everybody they talk to is coming in through Phuket. I've started being contacted by AQ hotels in Bangkok asking if I'm still planning to travel to BKK. I think the sandbox is putting a hurt on the AQ program elsewhere.

When you look at the numbers it seems a few more people are arriving and that most of those are coming through Phuket. It will be interesting to see what the numbers for the whole country are in coming months.

• Like 1

I think it’s time to stop commenting on such nonsense. It somehow feels like I’m condoning the ridiculous comments by even reading the from the TAT. Stupid doesn’t even get close.  

• Like 2

Goebels must have been proud of these guys. TAT can really post the most ridiculous statements every day without some common sense. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

When it becomes mainstream news abroad particularly Europe about the discovery of the Swiss woman's body ( presumed murdered to quote a headline ) then they just as well turn out the lights .. 

Thanks for mentioning that, I missed the story yesterday. I've just read it now.

I mentioned it to my wife who is reading the Thai news at the moment. She read the story yesterday. I told her your comment about it being big news abroad.
My wife only said that now more and more people have no money at all and become desperate, this type of crime could happen more often, as the woman was probably seen as an easy target (my wife was not condoning it BTW).

The Thai press report my wife read hadn't mentioned "Her jeans and panties were found nearby, along with black Nike shoes and a mobile phone" to quote the Thaiger report, hence my wife assuming the motive was robbery, being unaware of rape as mentioned in BKK Post.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Knowing TAT that is the gross average.  So figure that your ASH+ is no less than, say 25K (on the low side). You had to pay 8K for Covid tests, and you are there 14 days, you spent an average of 1,285baht per day. That's not a terribly impressive number.

Didn't that TAT lady say the other day that they expected 40K a day from  Sandboxers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The official numbers are out and the Tourism Authority of Thailand has touted success in the Phuket Sandbox plan’s first month, with over 14,000 international travellers arriving and a reported 829 million baht of revenue generated in July. Between the reopening date July 1 and the end of the month July 31, 14,055 travellers arrived, and the 829 million baht spent means people spent an average of just under 59,000 baht per person spent. The United States had the most citizens travelling to Thailand with 1,802 people, followed by the United Kingdom with 1,558 travellers. Israel brought 1,455 people to […]

The post TAT touts the Phuket Sandbox first month July successes appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well if they think it was a success then I would like to hear their explanations for a failure. 

35 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well if they think it was a success then I would like to hear their explanations for a failure. 

Samui Plus...

Even by their own numbers it doesn't look like much of a success. a) 59,000 baht pp is not impressive when you consider that the hotel alone cost at least around 40,000-45,000 baht. b) For perspective, Phuket in 2019 was getting an average of about 500,000 foreign tourists a month.