east versus west ; buying high grade technical consumer products (mainly computer-oriented) online

yetanother

as an IT career professional , now retired, fortunately early, i know what all the specifications mean that the manufacturers choose to publish on their laptops, desktops, graphics cards, hard disk, SSDs, memory modules,power supplies and all the like components, cables,on and on;

it has become apparent that there are two sets of manufacturing 'delivered-component' specs;

there is the eastern one and the western one; you will be hard-pressed to find any one of those top manufacturing names to admit it but it is very real;  i have encountered a precious few, usually in savvy professional reviewers of specific units, say a laptop, who let it slip;

what manufacturers do , asus, and the rest, is publish a set of specs (sometimes wrong, oftentimes omitting the key details that we 'advanced-consumers' know make the difference in purchasing decisions) and that set is the 'western version', the high end , better components than the eastern version;

well, what happens is that there is no eastern (marketing) version so the vendors in the east (lazada, et al)  just parrot the manufacturer specs western specs along with their actually physically received eastern spec models;

has occurred to me on my last two laptops ( and i buy higher-end); i received the units and they don't match up with the advertised specs;

i make a stink ,nicely, and the e-tailer is surprised , legitimately , as they dont know, but the loser is me the consumer;

while i still buy laptops, i had to resort to building another desktop to reduce the 'cheat-potential';

just a warning

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yetanother said:

as an IT career professional , now retired, fortunately early, i know what all the specifications mean that the manufacturers choose to publish on their laptops, desktops, graphics cards, hard disk, SSDs, memory modules,power supplies and all the like components, cables,on and on;

it has become apparent that there are two sets of manufacturing 'delivered-component' specs;

there is the eastern one and the western one; you will be hard-pressed to find any one of those top manufacturing names to admit it but it is very real;  i have encountered a precious few, usually in savvy professional reviewers of specific units, say a laptop, who let it slip;

what manufacturers do , asus, and the rest, is publish a set of specs (sometimes wrong, oftentimes omitting the key details that we 'advanced-consumers' know make the difference in purchasing decisions) and that set is the 'western version', the high end , better components than the eastern version;

well, what happens is that there is no eastern (marketing) version so the vendors in the east (lazada, et al)  just parrot the manufacturer specs western specs along with their actually physically received eastern spec models;

has occurred to me on my last two laptops ( and i buy higher-end); i received the units and they don't match up with the advertised specs;

i make a stink ,nicely, and the e-tailer is surprised , legitimately , as they dont know, but the loser is me the consumer;

while i still buy laptops, i had to resort to building another desktop to reduce the 'cheat-potential';

just a warning

Which brands did you buy? 

I stick to alienware for this reason, seems like one of the top spec laptop's I have found and they don't undervolt their GPU's.

I have no experience buying from the "east" other than Razer laptops since they ship from the east to the west, but returned it because of the low wattage GPU.

Edited by dj230