5.7% of foreign residents in Thailand have received a dose of the Covid-19 vaccine

Thaiger

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Ok, I agree, I should not use the word 'tourist' but instead 'temporary resident', if you can not get a permanent visa to stay, the right to vote, the right to own a house as is possible in other Asia countries(re owning property) then, you are still temporary. 

Ok - 'temporary resident' comes close ... 

There is thou, another point of view.  By not being a 'permanent resident' , dependent on one's foreign source of income, there can be (for some of us) significant taxation benefits.

Ownership in condominiums is allowed for foreigners (as long as no more than 49% foreign ownership in the condo complex).  There are some very nice condominiums in Phuket.  ... I note thou, in my view, condominiums in Thailand do not retain their value much, where as land with houses, do tend to go up in value with time.

Edited by oldcpu

16 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I think it depends on the province. 

I live in Phuket, so I will answer from a Phuket perspective (where one can come under the 'Sandbox' scheme at present time).

Joining your 'expat mates' for a drink may or may not be possible, dependent on the state of the pandemic at the time you visit. For a while in April this year, ALL visits between expat mates (and Thai locals to their mates) in Phuket were not allowed ... then later when the virus cases dropped in Phuket, it was relaxed and such allowed. But with the increasing pandemic cases, its possible that even with the 'Sandbox' that this restriction be applied again.  

As for 'drinking' with one's mates currently, this can not be done in Restaurants at present due to restrictions that are in place to try and combat this pandemic.  Its possible to do such in one's residence ... although as noted .. this could be banned soon.

As for when your favourite restaurant and street vendors allowed to open ... in Phuket they are allowed to open NOW.  But they can't serve alcohol, and they may lose money in trying to stay open, as (1) there is a global pandemic going on that limits travel in most places, (2) Phuket, despite the sandbox has heavy restrictions to enter, and (3)  this IS the traditional low season and many restaurants and street vendors typically do not open this time of year.

The pandemic is changing (hopefully only temporary) things everywhere.  Some countries won't even allow one to go to a restaurant without being vaccinated.  Fortunately that is NOT the case in Thailand.

If one comes to Phuket, and is tested positive for the virus on arrival (despite being fully vaccinated) one is required to give up their SHA+ accommodations (money refunded) and go to a hospital or special ASQ (at their own expense).

Further, if one is deemed to be sufficiently close to someone else on the flight to Phuket (where it was that someone else on the flight who is tested positive on arrival), despite being tested negative one is still required to  give up their SHA+ accommodations (money refunded) and go to a special ASQ and isolate, again at their own expense. While Health Insurance should cover one if they are tested positive, in this later case (physically close on the flight to someone who tested positive) health insurance may not cover that.  So that is a risk one needs to consider.

Clearly, there are risks in coming to Phuket.   

Lets not forget - there is a global pandemic raging - if one travels, then one needs to accept the risks.  If Phuket's current regulations are unsatisfactory for one's wishes, then stay away.   IMHO its that simple.

Thanks for the information.

I stay 90% of my usual long holidays in Phuket and most of the things you mentioned above regarding the closing of bars/restaurants and not being allowed to have parties even in your own home happened to me from January 2020 until August 2020 while in Phuket.

That is why I am hesitant to go back as once I am there it might happen again so there is no point for me to be there at the moment as everything is open here in the UK.

I will wait, thanks for the detailed information.

16 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Ok - 'temporary resident' comes close ... 

There is thou, another point of view.  By not being a 'permanent resident' , dependent on one's foreign source of income, there can be (for some of us) significant taxation benefits.

Ownership in condominiums is allowed for foreigners (as long as no more than 49% foreign ownership in the condo complex).  There are some very nice condominiums in Phuket.  ... I note thou, in my view, condominiums in Thailand do not retain their value much, where as land with houses, do tend to go up in value with time.

Yes I did stay in a condo for a while but there was no point for me to go from a nice house in the UK to a flat in Thailand so I do have a house in Kathu, Kathu. 

It is safe as it is empty for half of the year and there has never been a break in etc, the only thing I have to do is replace the car battery on the driveway when I get back each time. 

Cheap too as it is a three bed three bath detached house built by the large company Phuket Villa Ltd, a developer who always guarantee quality in their many large housing projects in Phuket over the last 20 plus years. 

You can only buy a garage in my area of the UK fro the price of the above house in Phuket.