Thursday Covid Update: High of 20,920 new cases and 160 deaths

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Stardust said:

As I worked in almost in all Continents of the world, the worst driver or who cannot not drive streets or off road are Thais in my list of experience. We lost collegues because of that and it happened often when they provided a car and driver I forced them to stop and told them I drive or let me out and I will call my company to send somebody to bring me a car or pick me up. Especially in remote areas in raining season and we had to go off road. I often took not a plane and came with my own car and lost a day because of that and if could not get a rental off road car. I experienced too much they cannot drive and even I explained them to take care because the conditions are daily different because of heavy rains I got stuck with them and even they should know and driving there many years. So I avoided if possible to sit in any cars with their driver or stopped them to drive myself. So by the Company I was sent to South middle and North America, Africa, Asia and South east Asia and the worst drivers I experienced in my list are the Thai drivers. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I also got alot of coaching on driving from my Mom. She was amazing. Very patient and wise. She taught me the meaning of being a courteous and respectful driver. Do you think the Thais get any of that?

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:
4 hours ago, Stardust said:

Sorry english is not my native languange and was writing with my cell phone and not on an keyboard and before it had nothing to do with kick off foreigner it was about driving in Thailand! Maybe you should folliw better how that started that topic then you could understood it!

Spot on Stardust. There is  that "other" forum available to those who want to pretend that they are grammar policeman and if anyone can not follow your posts purely because of the odd punctuation/spelling mistake etc then really they must be a bit of short of the grey matter

Point taken.

Now, in the interests of NOT talking about the "other" forum (again), what's this thread's subject matter again?

Edited by cacadordemim
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stardust said:

I think you don't know the economic datas of Thailand they have a huge liquidity problem and no more financial reserves anymore thats why they neede the tourism to bring the liquidity, because with the highest private household debt in whole Asia it will not come from there. You not know that every year they had to refinance their household deficits with loans from foreign banks! Not by financial reserves! And why? Because with what you cover loans when they you have to refinance?! The Bankers know already they are broke. Follow the Banks in the Thai Airways story ( USA, Germany, Swiss and Japan) their cases are already in the courts because of the creditor protection in bankruptcy and they cannot cover it up there because of the law in these countries because they have to open the books! They are done and broke!

I understand the issues of personal struggles in Thailand and I know they are not a wealthy country. But they are not poor either. They also have access to many billions of they so choose. I’m not expecting the government to support to the level they can in the U.K. or U.S, but I feel more can and should be done. They have also had plenty of good years in tourism. Why was none of this used to provide support funds for difficult times?   As I say, I’m not expecting 10,000 a month to every family. But more support can be and should be given. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

Point taken.

Now, in the interests of NOT talking about the "other" forum (again), what's this thread's subject matter again?

And in the interests of this thread not being deflected into "off topic policemen" or perhaps confusing to those with eyesight challenges then it is the same as listed in the title . Perhaps an audio forum would be better if the latter is the case ?

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

And in the interests of this thread not being deflected into "off topic policemen" or perhaps confusing to those with eyesight challenges then it is the same as listed in the title . Perhaps an audio forum would be better if the latter is the case ?

...what's this thread's subject matter again?

Meanwhile, OTHER members are talking about Thailand's bad drivers and OTHER members are talking about the "other" forum.

Edited by cacadordemim
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I understand the issues of personal struggles in Thailand and I know they are not a wealthy country. But they are not poor either. They also have access to many billions of they so choose. I’m not expecting the government to support to the level they can in the U.K. or U.S, but I feel more can and should be done. They have also had plenty of good years in tourism. Why was none of this used to provide support funds for difficult times?   As I say, I’m not expecting 10,000 a month to every family. But more support can be and should be given. 

I understand and agree but maybe this help you to understand the situation

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Soidog said:

When 87% of the population in Thailand the average is now 4600 baht in the bank accounts then Thailand is now one of the poorest countries in the world there are no billions they are broke! And the govetnment is broke , too, after 7 years of mismanagement they had to refinance their household deficits by loans there is nothing anymore. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stardust said:

When 87% of the population in Thailand the average is now 4600 baht in the bank accounts then Thailand is now one of the poorest countries in the world there are no billions they are broke! And the govetnment is broke , too, after 7 years of mismanagement they had to refinance their household deficits by loans there is nothing anymore. 

Thanks for re-posting that op ed. It originally appeared in the Post on the 5th but disappeared leading many, including myself, to assume that the PM's recent edict on 'fake news' had found a victim. Now it has reappeared which is roughly coincident with the Civil Court ruling that the PM had 'maybe' breached some of the already weak media protections here. Or, it could simply have been pulled by the author himself to correct a misstatement or statistical error.

Anyway K. Chartchai has been a frequent contributor of factual and well-researched opinion on how Thailand's future is being imperiled more than their neighbors by the enduring inability of the military mind to do anything other than what it's ordered to do. They're winging it and winging it very badly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

Thanks for re-posting that op ed. It originally appeared in the Post on the 5th but disappeared leading many, including myself, to assume that the PM's recent edict on 'fake news' had found a victim. Now it has reappeared which is roughly coincident with the Civil Court ruling that the PM had 'maybe' breached some of the already weak media protections here. Or, it could simply have been pulled by the author himself to correct a misstatement or statistical error.

Anyway K. Chartchai has been a frequent contributor of factual and well-researched opinion on how Thailand's future is being imperiled more than their neighbors by the enduring inability of the military mind to do anything other than what it's ordered to do. They're winging it and winging it very badly.

Yes it was blocked but they could it get back as we see

11 hours ago, Stardust said:

I think you don't know the economic datas of Thailand they have a huge liquidity problem and no more financial reserves anymore thats why they neede the tourism to bring the liquidity, because with the highest private household debt in whole Asia it will not come from there. You not know that every year they had to refinance their household deficits with loans from foreign banks! Not by financial reserves! And why? Because with what you cover loans when they you have to refinance?! The Bankers know already they are broke. Follow the Banks in the Thai Airways story ( USA, Germany, Swiss and Japan) their cases are already in the courts because of the creditor protection in bankruptcy and they cannot cover it up there because of the law in these countries because they have to open the books! They are done and broke!

@Stardust, you're confusing national debt and household debt - again!

The two are totally different.

11 hours ago, Stardust said:

You not know that every year they had to refinance their household deficits with loans from foreign banks! 

Household debt has been refinanced by loans from foreign banks?

I don't think so!?

9 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

What am I missing here?

Any understanding of Thais and Thailand - see post #28024 at the top of page 7 of this thread. ?

Edit: I now see you read it.  I realised you're talking about a "surgical mask", or more probably a 1 or 2 baht copy, but  the mask's doing the same job as  the balaclava or torn T-shirt - it's got nothing to do with Covid at all.

If they weren't wearing a mask they'd have a balaclava or T-shirt over their face instead.

It's normal in the summer here - it's got nothing to do with Covid!

Edited by Stonker

I understand and agree but maybe this help you to understand the situation

Thanks for the link and all very interesting data. The key comment is right at the end where he suggests they need 2 Trillion Baht. That’s around £GB44 billion  or $US61 billion dollars. That is not such a large amount of borrowing for a normal Thai economy to service. It’s biggest problem is that it can’t get the economy working to service the debt until the Covid wave is over. I fear Thailand’s only option will be to borrow from China, and that will come with more than financial strings attached !!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, Donald said:

Vaccination ? It is now common knowledge that the vaccination doesn't prevent catching and getting sick with Covid 19. Nor does it prevent passing it on to others. It actually doesn't live up to the definition of vaccine.

Where I come from all people in hospitals now are:

-Not vaccinated

-Received only 1 dose of the vaccine

-Are old, and their bodies didn't make enough antibodies after getting the vaccine to prevent them from getting ill. They now try to find out if a third dose would make a difference.

The vaccine prevents you from getting very ill and dying. Why doesn't it live up to the definition of a vaccine?  With the flu vaccine it is not much different, you can still get ill. But the chance is smaller, and if you get ill it is less serious.

It is now also proven that vaccinated people can pass Covid on to others, but the chance of something like that happening is much smaller.

Where does so much ignorance come from?

• Like 1

When 87% of the population in Thailand the average is now 4600 baht in the bank accounts then Thailand is now one of the poorest countries in the world there are no billions they are broke!

If that is your definition of being broke...   Google "how many people in the us live paycheck to paycheck ?"

"The Majority of U.S. Consumers Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck

According to the research, 54 percent of consumers in the U.S. (125 million U.S. adults) are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with 21 percent of this population struggling to pay their bills, meaning they have little or no money left over after spending their income."

Having no money in the bank is common for most people in the US. A country some people consider to be a rich country. And I am sure that in Europe it is not much better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dimitri said:

If that is your definition of being broke...   Google "how many people in the us live paycheck to paycheck ?"

"The Majority of U.S. Consumers Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck

According to the research, 54 percent of consumers in the U.S. (125 million U.S. adults) are living paycheck-to-paycheck, with 21 percent of this population struggling to pay their bills, meaning they have little or no money left over after spending their income."

Having no money in the bank is common for most people in the US. A country some people consider to be a rich country. And I am sure that in Europe it is not much better.

What has the US got to do with this thread ?

6 hours ago, dimitri said:

Where I come from all people in hospitals now are:

-Not vaccinated

-Received only 1 dose of the vaccine

-Are old, and their bodies didn't make enough antibodies after getting the vaccine to prevent them from getting ill. They now try to find out if a third dose would make a difference.

The vaccine prevents you from getting very ill and dying. Why doesn't it live up to the definition of a vaccine?  With the flu vaccine it is not much different, you can still get ill. But the chance is smaller, and if you get ill it is less serious.

It is now also proven that vaccinated people can pass Covid on to others, but the chance of something like that happening is much smaller.

Where does so much ignorance come from?

Where does so much ignorance come from?  Quick answer - From those in full denial that the covid-vaccines are not the miracle solution to address the covid health-crisis.  And with each passing week and mounting evidence that mass-vaccination is actually contributing to the problem (by creating the variants), and making the infected vaxxed into unwitting superspreaders (because of suppression of their symptoms) they become more desperate to defend that dead-end road.

On the issue of lockdowns, whether they work or not,look at the countries in the world now today, who are still locking down because of rising case's, if lockdowns were shown to be u/s why are so many countries still adopting  them, and issuing green pass's,mandatory vaccinations & masks. Covid is killing young and old, otherwise healthy people not just those with health problems, read the world news not just thailand.

It's because they are worried or scared yes that's a fact

Lockdowns do work and save lives,economies in the long run, And mass vaccinations are the only other way to deal with it. Its probably the number and type of vaccines and mixing of vaccines that"s caused so many variants to appear rather than using one type .

Edited by stuhan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stuhan said:

On the issue of lockdowns, whether they work or not,look at the countries in the world now today, who are still locking down because of rising case's, if lockdowns were shown to be u/s why are so many countries still adopting  them, and issuing green pass's,mandatory vaccinations & masks. Covid is killing young and old, otherwise healthy people not just those with health problems, read the world news not just thailand.

Lockdowns do work and save lives,economies in the long run.

Lock-downs - when they work - only SLOW the spread, and governments applying such measures have never stated otherwise.  How this saves lives and the economy is one of those mysteries that owners of small businesses that had their life's work destroyed by lock-downs would surely be interested in... 

By the way: the factual evidence is compelling that lock-downs do NOT make any difference in reducing covid infection-spreads/deaths.  Sweden being one of those 'black swans' that show that lock-downs are useless.  The South Dakota/North Dakota figures being another case in point. 

24 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Lockdowns do work and save lives,economies in the long run, And mass vaccinations are the only other way to deal with it. Its probably the number and type of vaccines and mixing of vaccines that"s caused so many variants to appear rather than using one type .

Just because incompetent governments are still pursuing a failed policy does not mean in any way that lockdowns are the best solution. 

And as far as the claim that young people are dying, it is crucial that you include the context of the fatality rate for young healthy people. 

the further people get from the truth the more people will hate those who say it. 

Which is precisely what is happening in the compliant complacent media and their governments. 

1 hour ago, mcambl61 said:

Just because incompetent governments are still pursuing a failed policy does not mean in any way that lockdowns are the best solution. 

And as far as the claim that young people are dying, it is crucial that you include the context of the fatality rate for young healthy people. 

the further people get from the truth the more people will hate those who say it. 

Which is precisely what is happening in the compliant complacent media and their governments. 

Perhaps when you cut and paste you should ensure the font is as per default. That way people may have more confidence that it is your original thought, or else ,as it is clearly not the case here, perhaps quotation marks to indicate a quoted article would be better ?

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Perhaps when you cut and paste you should ensure the font is as per default. That way people may have more confidence that it is your original thought, or else ,as it is clearly not the case here, perhaps quotation marks to indicate a quoted article would be better ?

Thanks for being the forum's hall monitor. 

This is from George Orwell, which is yet another example of the irony of the present leftists that are pushing it. 

"the further people get from the truth the more people will hate those who say it." 

4 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Thanks for being the forum's hall monitor. 

This is from George Orwell, which is yet another example of the irony of the present leftists that are pushing it. 

"the further people get from the truth the more people will hate those who say it." 

Are its Orwell again, must be your favourite author.