Thursday Covid Update: High of 20,920 new cases and 160 deaths

Thaiger

6 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

I saw an image of a farmer working in his field, with his father, wearing a mask. Out in the open, working meters away from someone he shares a home with. This is a good indication of how scared the people are, and how successful the authorities have been with regard to instilling an overly toxic level of fear into the hearts and minds of the people. 

What could possibly be more insane, and less science based behavior, than wearing a mask out on a farm with no people around? I saw another guy the other day driving his car with a mask on. Nobody in the car with him. Huh?

This is not Bubonic plague. This is Covid. Yet, one would think this is the Zombie Apocalypse and the end of the world. 

Found it - way back on page 2!

Not knocking you for it, @dmacarelli, but it's a perfect example of how seeing something but having little or no knowledge of it but judging it by your own standards and experience can lead to completely the wrong conclusion.

What you saw an image of isn't "insane" or "scared" but routine life in the countryside which almost certainly has nothing whatever to do Covid and if you lived in Isan you'd know.

People wear wooly balaclavas here in the fields in the height of summer, or wrap their heads in an old T-shirt, or wear a floppy hat with a built-in "veil".  It's normal!

It's got nothing to do with Covid, but it's to protect themselves from the sun to stop them getting burnt. Now they can get masks free, in a lot cases, so a face mask just serves the the same purpose but it's probably easier to breathe through and cooler than a thick knitted balaclava or a few layers of grubby T-shirt. 

They may well be "scared" of Covid, but far from this being a "good indication" of it, it's almost certainly got nothing to do with it at all.

Driving a car alone with a mask on? Probably nothing more than being too lazy to take it off when someone got out.  Masks aren't something that unusual here, as they are in the West, and there are plenty of reasons people wear them other than Covid, from staying "white", to covering up a nose job, to hiding herpes, to being a devout Buddhist.

Masks, or some form of "face covering"  just aren't a big deal or that unusual up here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Just like with India, all bullshit about "country on the brink". Did you notice India dropped out of media coverage last month because no more juicy stories fitting the doomsday narrative.

Narrative driven MSM bullshit once again.

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.opindia.com/2021/04/nypost-fake-news-people-dying-streets-covid-19-india-retracts-funeral-pyre-details/

• Like 1

About vaccines:

"The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a Ph.D.); by May Ph.D.’s were the most hesitant group"

https://www.upmc.com/media/news/072621-king-mejia-vaccine-hesitancy

The plot thickens! ??

12 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Found it - way back on page 2!

Not knocking you for it, @dmacarelli, but it's a perfect example of how seeing something but having little or no knowledge of it but judging it by your own standards and experience can lead to completely the wrong conclusion.

What you saw an image of isn't "insane" or "scared" but routine life in the countryside which almost certainly has nothing whatever to do Covid and if you lived in Isan you'd know.

People wear wooly balaclavas here in the fields in the height of summer, or wrap their heads in an old T-shirt, or wear a floppy hat with a built-in "veil".  It's normal!

It's got nothing to do with Covid, but it's to protect themselves from the sun to stop them getting burnt. Now they can get masks free, in a lot cases, so a face mask just serves the the same purpose but it's probably easier to breathe through and cooler than a thick knitted balaclava or a few layers of grubby T-shirt. 

They may well be "scared" of Covid, but far from this being a "good indication" of it, it's almost certainly got nothing to do with it at all.

Driving a car alone with a mask on? Probably nothing more than being too lazy to take it off when someone got out.  Masks aren't something that unusual here, as they are in the West, and there are plenty of reasons people wear them other than Covid, from staying "white", to covering up a nose job, to hiding herpes, to being a devout Buddhist.

Masks, or some form of "face covering"  just aren't a big deal or that unusual up here.

Make you right on this.

Many people working in the fields up here were face coverings. Protection from the sun. Protection from insect and perhaps - if they are spraying something - protection from the toxic spray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes he did, unfortunately as an edit and after I'd already replied.

Even more unfortunately his entire argument is based on an idea that is patently false - namely that "99.xx%" of the population can "fight it off as they lived their lives, the vast majority not even noticing they had it".

It's what you'd call a "ridiculous" idea, with "zero consideration of the data", but it's way beyond "truly obtuse".

The only reason fatalities have been so low is because lockdowns have put a brake on transmissions and so most healthcare systems have been able to cope and to treat those with Covid.  Take off that brake completely as he and you advocate and even the most truly obtuse person around would see that fatalities would spiral.

It's as obtuse as having a rabid dog in a cage and then saying that it's fine to release it as it only bit one person before it was caged so it's not a threat.

"Truly obtuse" doesn't even go near this level of ignorance.

How many covid deaths do you suppose there have been, bobo ? Even using the ridiculously inflated 600,000 figure being pushed in my country, we'd need about 3 million more to reach one percent of the population. (We definitely have that to spare and more.) 

Lockdowns haven't kept anyone from being exposed to the virus.  We were all exposed to it before the vaccines came on the market and the vast majority of us were unaffected.  Now if that makes you want to beat the sh8t out of something try your dog or your meat. 

2 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

There is no legitimate evidence that a mutation would be more fatal. 

Fomenting more Fear mongering is not helping anyone. 

Are you just trying to wind up members mcambe or are you just blinkered or just like arguing. The Delta variant is the worst variant compared to the others that came before it but you wont accept that, and you wont accept the fact that it has been proven that the latest  variant is faster at transmitting the virus. How can you argue the Hospital numbers have declined because more people are protected now. We all know people even fully vaxed can transmit and contact covid so why do you keep pumping this out,  to try and scare us ? we understand we can still catch it. But you dont understand along with all your other covid commando's we are less likely to end up in Hospital. why cant you get this in your conspiracy head. As you keep on telling us the Data is wrong look at the Data for Hospitalization. And why is the Delta wave causing so much transmission. If you cannot offer any information stop trying to scare people and denial go to your special covid room your CIC started. your beginning to annoy members.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

OK, here it goes.

Michigan: very strict: 21K died. Population 10M.

California: very strict: 64K died. Pop: 39,5M

New York: very strict: 53K died, Pop: 19,4M

Texas: medium strict: 52K died, Pop: 29M

Florida: relaxed since fall 2020: 39K died. Pop: 21,5M. Florida has also a lot older population than most other states. Florida won this one.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/

Even if your data were to have been sampled at the appropriate time, I'm afraid that it demonstrates nothing at all, least of all what you're trying to use it to prove.

The question was

"Name anywhere where they've had a properly regulated lockdown where the spread hasn't been reduced, at least long enough to give some breathing space and vaccines rolled out.

So you will need to show time series data covering the period before, during and after the lockdown and showing the start and end dates of the lockdown where there is not a demonstrated downward trend in cases to be able to make your point. 

Like this graph below which shows new daily cases in the UK, supplied on coronavirus.data.gov.uk, and plotted over time with the periods of the 3 national lockdowns shown in red.

Except you need to show the exact opposite of what this chart shows to prove your point. That is to say, a flat or upward trend resulting from lockdown.

I likewise challenge you to do so within the confines of the original question posed to you. 

lockdown.thumb.jpg.bb5e96d1ad5c988a97aef789d7cb8486.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

You got one thing right, people are scared. Fear is the strongest human emotion, you scare people and you can get them to do very irrational things, witness the last 18 months. Really helps you understand how all those things happened in the past.

Saying people should improve their health is now offensive? Not surprising given the times we are living in were "healthy at any weight" is the narrative pushed by the mainstream media.

The fact is the gov't does not care about your health, covid is not even in the top 10 cause of deaths in Thailand, lots of stuff ahead of it, heart disease, cancer, all sorts of metabolic disorders most of which are all due to lifestyle choices.

Nearly all of the people in the U.S. who had severe reactions to a covid infection were vitamin D deficient and obese. These are facts. You should read Fauci's emails, you might want to copy his daily vitamin D supplement dose.

Thanks but no thanks i will pass on that one.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, vlad said:

Are you just trying to wind up members mcambe or are you just blinkered or just like arguing. The Delta variant is the worst variant compared to the others that came before it but you wont accept that, and you wont accept the fact that it has been proven that the latest  variant is faster at transmitting the virus. How can you argue the Hospital numbers have declined because more people are protected now. We all know people even fully vaxed can transmit and contact covid so why do you keep pumping this out,  to try and scare us ? we understand we can still catch it. But you dont understand along with all your other covid commando's we are less likely to end up in Hospital. why cant you get this in your conspiracy head. As you keep on telling us the Data is wrong look at the Data for Hospitalization. And why is the Delta wave causing so much transmission. If you cannot offer any information stop trying to scare people and denial go to your special covid room your CIC started. your beginning to annoy members.

What I said was that there was no evidence that the variants were more FATAL but is more contagious. 

Stop trying to make up things and lecture me. 

You don’t speak for anyone else. 

I am against all the fear mongering going on here and in the media, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should increase your comprehension skills. 

2 hours ago, stuhan said:

Thanks but no thanks i will pass on that one.

Pass on what? Improving your health? It's literally the most important thing all of us have.

Stuhan, serious question: Why do you want this to be worse than it is?

Edited by BraveNewFahrenheit
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Pass on what? Improving your health? It's literally the most important thing all of us have.

If you hadn't noticed, this whole thing has given otherwise bored and or aimless people some false semblance of purpose in life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Objectivance said:

If you hadn't noticed, this whole thing has given otherwise bored and or aimless people some false semblance of purpose in life.

Yes, especially the virtue signaling mask nazis. 

2 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

What I said was that there was no evidence that the variants were more FATAL but is more contagious. 

There IS evidence that some variants have greater mortality as well as being more contagious than others

Infections with ‘U.K. Variant’ B.1.1.7 Have Greater Risk of Mortality: https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/03/30/infections-with-u-k-variant-b-1-1-7-have-greater-risk-of-mortality/

Risk of mortality in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern 202012/1: matched cohort study: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579

There's no solid research yet available on whether the delta variant is more deadly. It is 40% - 60% more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (Kent), with viral loads ~1000x higher. The risk of hospitalization for unvaccinated people is twice as high with delta. 

https://asm.org/Articles/2021/July/How-Dangerous-is-the-Delta-Variant-B-1-617-2

Edited by js89

19 minutes ago, Objectivance said:

I could understand the LARPing last year but we are now 18 months into this with very clear data on the risks covid poses. I am genuinely worried that this leads to some kind of society altering shift where we lose all rational risk tolerance and ability to assess cost/benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, js89 said:

Again, we know precisely what the at risk groups are. We don't need to foment more fear and panic with ever shifting goal posts and destruction of millions of people's lives and businesses. 

Screenshot_20210806_083559.jpg

48 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

You should know the answer to that one,as you have done a great job of doing that yourself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I totally agree. Many countries can afford the debt while other struggle. I see Thailand as a middle income country with strong financial reserves. They could and should be doing more to help. Not to mention the many Thai Billionaires who have made an enormous profit off the backs of low paid workers 

I think you don't know the economic datas of Thailand they have a huge liquidity problem and no more financial reserves anymore thats why they neede the tourism to bring the liquidity, because with the highest private household debt in whole Asia it will not come from there. You not know that every year they had to refinance their household deficits with loans from foreign banks! Not by financial reserves! And why? Because with what you cover loans when they you have to refinance?! The Bankers know already they are broke. Follow the Banks in the Thai Airways story ( USA, Germany, Swiss and Japan) their cases are already in the courts because of the creditor protection in bankruptcy and they cannot cover it up there because of the law in these countries because they have to open the books! They are done and broke!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I think you don't know the economic datas of Thailand they have a huge liquidity problem and no more financial reserves anymore thats why they neede the tourism to bring the liquidity, because with the highest private household debt in whole Asia it will not come from there. You not know that every year they had to refinance their household deficits with loans from foreign banks! Not by financial reserves! And why? Because with what you cover loans when they you have to refinance?! The Bankers know already they are broke. Follow the Banks in the Thai Airways story ( USA, Germany, Swiss and Japan) their cases are already in the courts because of the creditor protection in bankruptcy and they cannot cover it up there because of the law in these countries because they have to open the books! They are done and broke!

Bank deposit protection cut to THB1 million from August 11

Thailand’s Deposit Protection Agency (DPA) said on Wednesday that from August 11 onwards, it will only provide protection for 1 million baht per account holder instead of 5 million baht.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004190?fbclid=IwAR3VO1T8T7YIexkNfnHBzI_kM3UOstQtvF-nKUZ7e8CyA6sFAeTd7V658Jk

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, stuhan said:

You should know the answer to that one,as you have done a great job of doing that yourself.

Respectfully, I don't understand, are you saying I somehow have made covid worse?

Anyways, judging by your avatar you ride bikes. So do I. Been all over Thailand, multiple trackdays at Bira circuit with no corner workers or an ambulance on standby and have come out unscathed but statistically speaking it is very high risk. If you are worried about injury or death from covid in Thailand you should NEVER get on a motorcycle again.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Thailand’s Deposit Protection Agency (DPA) said on Wednesday that from August 11 onwards, it will only provide protection for 1 million baht per account holder instead of 5 million baht.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004190?fbclid=IwAR3VO1T8T7YIexkNfnHBzI_kM3UOstQtvF-nKUZ7e8CyA6sFAeTd7V658Jk

You wouldn't believe what cases are in the court in Germany but too hot for Thai news outlets or even not allowed. As I said in courts they have laws and when you not pay sure you have to open the books.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Respectfully, I don't understand, are you saying I somehow have made covid worse?

Anyways, judging by your avatar you ride bikes. So do I. Been all over Thailand, multiple trackdays at Bira circuit with no corner workers or an ambulance on standby and have come out unscathed but statistically speaking it is very high risk. If you are worried about injury or death from covid in Thailand you should NEVER get on a motorcycle again.

Well said. 

The fear mongering and panic push is not based on reality or facts and data. 

Meanwhile, the backlog of preventative medical care is going to cause unnecessary problems for years to come. 

15 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Does that mean the government can grab the remaining 177 million out of my account and pay for the last couple of Korean jet trainers that they ordered ages ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

Does that mean the government can grab the remaining 177 million out of my account and pay for the last couple of Korean jet trainers that they ordered ages ago?

No it doesn't actually. As you must know nearly all Thai banks are family owned, or at least have the majority shareholdings. 

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

No it doesn't actually. As you must know nearly all Thai banks are family owned, or at least have the majority shareholdings. 

There was an interesting article of an Thai economist he also worked in the imf and big finance companies. The articles name was how to save a country when broke. They shut down this article see yourself

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

44 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Thats why they shut down that article from an Economist and expert

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke