Fantasy Premier League 2021-22

Andrew Reeve

Thanks @Andrew ReeveAndrew and thanks to @BigHewerand @snapdragon for getting the ball rolling . . . should be good fun!

I'm signed in as Wonnaplay Wednesday and, playing against my son last season, managed a top 26% percentile finish. I'll be looking to improve on that . . . be warned!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome one and all to the inaugural Thaiger Talk League!

My team name is Pasar Rebo FC, and I’ll be hoping for a better season than last time, when I put a little bit too much faith in Liverpool defenders.

Would be great if we could get 16 players, as this year there will also be a League Cup later in the season. 

If you’re new to the game, feel free to ask for help in setting up your team, feel free to ask and someone here will help you. And if you’re an existing player and reading this post after the season starts, use the link at the top of the thread and join us. 

Up the mighty Toon!

• Like 2

How about the 105 League?

KC's been thinking - well, just a bit! - about how to make the Thaiger-Talk Fantasy League that little bit different, by introducing a system whereby member/players select their TEN clubs, pre-season start and thereon select their squads from only those 10 clubs, i.e. we must remain loyal to those 10 clubs that we start with.

But, in order to avoid the nigh-on inevitable selection of the largely identical 10 top-rated clubs, we must all make selections from the 20-21 season-end placings so that the aggregate positions add up to 105, i.e. by having to spread our selections from the very top to the very bottom of the league, we will all have the same initial rankings total – all the same chance . . . mathematically, at least!

Let’s call it the 105 League and make our once-only selections from the 20-21 rankings, as below:-

1.             Man City

2.             Man United

3.             Liverpool

4.             Chelsea

5.             Leicester

6.             West Ham

7.             Tottenham

8.             Arsenal 

9.             Leeds

10.          Everton

11.          Aston Villa

12.          Newcastle

13.          Wolves

14.          Crystal Palace

15.          Southampton

16.          Brighton HA

17.          Burnley

18.          Norwich

19.          Watford

20.          Brentford

Just whack your position numbers into the calculator so they add up to 105 and copy/paste your squad into a post similar to this one . . . where it will remain forever. I've blued my clubs, for better or worse.

My lad and I have done it this way for the past 6 years and feel sure that it added that something extra, compared to the previous free-for-all, when we’d often find ourselves picking highly similar squads.

What do you reckon?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

How about the 105 League?

KC's been thinking - well, just a bit! - about how to make the Thaiger-Talk Fantasy League that little bit different, by introducing a system whereby member/players select their TEN clubs, pre-season start and thereon select their squads from only those 10 clubs, i.e. we must remain loyal to those 10 clubs that we start with.

But, in order to avoid the nigh-on inevitable selection of the largely identical 10 top-rated clubs, we must all make selections from the 20-21 season-end placings so that the aggregate positions add up to 105, i.e. by having to spread our selections from the very top to the very bottom of the league, we will all have the same initial rankings total – all the same chance . . . mathematically, at least!

Let’s call it the 105 League and make our once-only selections from the 20-21 rankings, as below:-

1.             Man City

2.             Man United

3.             Liverpool

4.             Chelsea

5.             Leicester

6.             West Ham

7.             Tottenham

8.             Arsenal 

9.             Leeds

10.          Everton

11.          Aston Villa

12.          Newcastle

13.          Wolves

14.          Crystal Palace

15.          Southampton

16.          Brighton HA

17.          Burnley

18.          Norwich

19.          Watford

20.          Brentford

Just whack your position numbers into the calculator so they add up to 105 and copy/paste your squad into a post similar to this one . . . where it will remain forever. I've blued my clubs, for better or worse.

My lad and I have done it this way for the past 6 years and feel sure that it added that something extra, compared to the previous free-for-all, when we’d often find ourselves picking highly similar squads.

What do you reckon?

Just felt dizzy reading that ! 

I’m in - Inter MiNan are primed ….

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

member/players select their TEN clubs, pre-season start and thereon select their squads from only those 10 clubs, i.e. we must remain loyal to those 10 clubs that we start with.

I love the idea! Only thing is, my team is in multiple leagues, and I don’t want to restrict myself in those other leagues. Now I know which teams you’ll be picking players from ??

Just for the sake of fairness, if I were to do that, my “105” teams would be:

1.             Man City

2.             Man United

3.             Liverpool

4.             Chelsea

5.             Leicester

6.             West Ham

7.             Tottenham

8.             Arsenal

9.             Leeds

10.           Everton

11.          Aston Villa

12.          Newcastle

13.          Wolves

14.          Crystal Palace

15.          Southampton

16.          Brighton

17.          Burnley

18.          Norwich

19.          Watford

20.          Brentford 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I was a bit dizzy too, but I think it shows the enthusiasm. The most eagerly anticipated season in a long, long time.

Welcome aboard, Benroon!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

if I were to do that, my “105” teams would be:

Yes, I see my idea won't work with your multi-league involvement.

That said, your 105 is only 82 and only using 9 clubs . . . oh well (:-)

32 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

KC's been thinking - well, just a bit!

I’ve been analyzing our selections KC, and I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Neither of us rate Liverpool much.

2. You rate Arsenal and West Ham, I’m more Spursy.

3. Leeds vs Villa… different opinions on progression… ;)

4. We both rate Sean Dyche.

5. Neither of us have any faith in Newcastle United, though one of loves them a lot more than the other.

I think by the looks of it there’ll be variation in everyone’s teams, no worries there. And a classic league will be easier for the newcomers to understand.

As a token of good will, I hereby pledge not to pick any Arsenal players all season. Promise. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, I see my idea won't work with your multi-league involvement.

That said, your 105 is only 82 and only using 9 clubs . . . oh well (:-)

Only 82, sorry. I’ll throw in Liverpool then. That brings me to 100? Can’t tweak it to bring up 105.

All good KC, a lot of fun ahead :)

1.             Man City

2.             Man United

3.             Liverpool

4.             Chelsea

5.             Leicester

6.             West Ham

7.             Tottenham

8.             Arsenal

9.             Leeds

10.           Everton

11.          Aston Villa

12.          Newcastle

13.          Wolves

14.          Crystal Palace

15.          Southampton

16.          Brighton

17.          Burnley

18.          Norwich

19.          Watford

20.          Brentford

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I’m in - Inter MiNan are primed ….

How do you think I felt, writing the damned thing (:-)?

Roll on Fri 13th . . . I'll watch out for your Inter Whatsits.

25 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

2. You rate Arsenal and West Ham, I’m more Spursy.

Ha-ha, yes that's good food for argument, with the ex-Wolves Nuno now in charge at Spurs. I do like what Moyes is doing at WHU, though, and I have a hunch that Arteta will be motivated like a man-possessed by the devil to make big things happen, ARS-wise.

Sad, though, as you intone, re The Toon's seemingly endless apathy, across the whole bundle . . . fans, players, owner and poor old Brucey has to try to pick up the pieces!

• Like 1

My faith in Spurs rests on Son. Absolutely world class, and he’ll gel with whichever player Levy acquires. Total team player. I like Moyes, but still have doubts somehow because of the Man U phase and his first stint at West Ham… Arteta is such a smart manager, but he is dealing with so many dumb players. I feel sorry for him. I wished when he moved into management that he’d gone to Everton, his old club.

And Steve Bruce. If I were a Premier League player, he’d be the guy I’d want to play under. Newcastle will be safe again and advance a couple of places perhaps. I like the squad and there’s nobody I’d boot out. Brucey is the perfect manager for all the politics, despair and nonsense we’ll be faced with in the next 9 months. 11th place here we come!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Poolie said:

I'm in. Guangxi United. Just joined.

Nice one Poolie, another Toon supporter as well!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Nice one Poolie, another Toon supporter as well!

Not really a Mag but it is the nearest Prem team.

27 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Not really a Mag but it is the nearest Prem team.

Do I detect a smoggie in our midst? :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

Here's a quick walkthrough for anyone out there who is interested but has never played before.

1. Go to fantasy.premierleague.com

2. Click sign up and enter your details. Agree to terms click, then "complete registration".

3. You'll get a confirmation email in your inbox. Click on that, and you'll be taken to a player select page.

4. Click on "player list" in the top right hand corner and pick your players from here.

5. Choose players to complete your team, noting the salary cap of 100. Three players max per squad (15 players). You need to pick two goalkeepers, five defenders, five midfielders and three strikers. There is a lot of variation in how you compose your team. Some go defensive, some attacking, some pick players based on their clubs and in my wife's case, she picks players based on how handsome they are.

6. After you're done, click "Enter squad" and choose a team name.

7. You also need to select a captain and vice captain (the captain gets double points and the vice captain steps in if your captain doesn't play). Hover the mouse over the player and a selection box will appear. Don't forget to save at the bottom of the screen.

8. Next, open a new window in your browser and paste in the invitation link:

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/45741u

This will automatically put you in the Thaiger Talk 2021/22 league.

No you're all set to go. Hope you can join us!

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

Step 3.jpg

Step 4.jpg

Step 5.jpg

Step 6.jpg

Step 7.jpg

Step 8.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 11:11 PM, BigHewer said:

As a token of good will, I hereby pledge not to pick any Arsenal players all season. Promise. 

@King CottonI just gave my squad a once over and realised Ben White is in there. Before you cry foul, I must note that he was still a seagull when I bought him. So he stays in. The other two half decent Arsenal players I will avoid all season. There. A man of my word.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BigHewer said:
On 8/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, BigHewer said:

@King CottonI just gave my squad a once over and realised Ben White is in there. Before you cry foul, I must note that he was still a seagull when I bought him. So he stays in. The other two half decent Arsenal players I will avoid all season. There. A man of my word.

OK, glad to note that, but Arsenal-exempt (except for BW) or not, have a thought for poor old KC who has to stick with the 10-club system that he and his lad play by (10 for him and the other 10 for me!) I'll still give you a decent run though, I reckon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

OK, glad to note that, but Arsenal-exempt (except for BW) or not, have a thought for poor old KC who has to stick with the 10-club system that he and his lad play by (10 for him and the other 10 for me!) I'll still give you a decent run though, I reckon.

KC, you are a principled fella, I do admire that and I wish you the best of luck ?

On a similar note, my wife will only pick “handsome players” so by her count, only picking from a player pool of 60. Interestingly, Everton is the only team with no pickable pleyers according to her judgement. 

As for giving me a run for my money, you surely will as I’m rubbish at it despite my toils. I had a wee look at the 8 teams in our league and one team stands out: ILL-Tempered SeaBass… very good FPL pedigree. I think he/she might be the one to watch…

• Thanks 1