8 things to do correctly in Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and it’s easy to see why. The country boasts natural beauty, interesting culture, delicious food, energetic nightlife, and more. However, like any country around the globe, the Land of Smiles also has some shady corners with unsafe activities. Of course, if you’re new to the country, you can not know everything right away. That’s why we make this guide, to point out the things to do correctly in Thailand that every visitor should know beforehand. Knowing these things will help you avoid embarrassment and scams while you’re in […]

The post 8 things to do correctly in Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world,

Is .! They mean was .. 

I got invited to one of those ping pong shows once .. I thought they meant table tennis 'till I got inside the door and seen there were no bats .. 

Rule 9 .. don't forget to take your shoes off .. 

• Haha 6

Just now, Dedinbed said:

Is .! They mean was .. 

I got invited to one of those ping pong shows once .. I thought they meant table tennis 'till I got inside the door and seen there were no bats .. 

Rule 10... Don't keep too much money in the bank.

Thailand’s Deposit Protection Agency (DPA) said on Wednesday that from August 11 onwards, it will only provide protection for 1 million baht per account holder instead of 5 million baht.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

Rule 11... only make promises that you can uphold to it

BANGKOK, Aug 4 (Reuters) - The chair of Thailand's Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG) (THG.BK) said on Wednesday that a deal to import 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech (PFE.N), (22UAy.DE) COVID-19 vaccine was unlikely to happen, despite his earlier claims that a deal was close.

• Like 4

After either alcahol or domestics avoid all but ground floor balconies. if you are desperate for fresh air at midnight and want to unwind safely take a bottle of Sangsom and go for a ride on your motorbike.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Is .! They mean was .. 

There were no bats? Moot point in these covid infested days.

Rule 4. Visiting Temples.
The girls I took to visit the temples were involved in a different sort of preying.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

There were no bats? Moot point in these covid infested days.

Rule 4. Visiting Temples.
The girls I took to visit the temples were involved in a different sort of preying.

Hahaha .. I went to one of those temple places in Bangkok with madam but had to rent some big baggy loon things like Yul Brynner wore before they'd let me in .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp
  • Haha 4

Just now, Dedinbed said:

Hahaha .. I went to one of those temple places in Bangkok with madam but had to rent some big baggy loon things like Yul Brynner wore before they'd let me in .. 

Well yes they seem to have to have this moral code for ensuring visitors are appropriately dressed yet have no principles when it come to receiving money, buying lottery tickets etc etc . Strange that

• Like 1

Ping pong shows are out then, what about the fish, frog, snake and razor blades ones? This made me laugh

'While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying Pattaya’s nightlife, make sure to avoid seedy areas of the city'

Then goes on about the museums and that crappy sanctuary of truth, come off it, it's all seedy central.

"The first and biggest danger you need to watch out for is being approached by a man who promises you the night of your life..."

I was listed as number one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

'like Yul Brynner' - not in Thailand they don't. He was made persona non-grata for his portrayal of the king in 'The King and I'

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'like Yul Brynner' - not in Thailand they don't. He was made persona non-grata for his portrayal of the king in 'The King and I'

I'll bet Y B was really by that .. I didn't go to great lengths checking whether they had braidy bits down the side , all I remember is them ( temple people ) saying I had to rent some baggy loon things as my loud beach style shorts were not in keeping .. we are talking yrs ago and from I remembered it was 60 barts rental .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

I'll bet Y B was really trodden by that .. I didn't go to great lengths checking whether they had braidy bits down the side , all I remember is them ( temple people ) saying I had to rent some baggy loon things as my loud beach style shorts were not in keeping .. we are talking yrs ago and from I remembered it was 60 barts rental .. 

You mean like BartS-impson?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Did they go down on their knees?

?

Edited by Faraday
S'pelling
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:
1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Did they go down on their knees?

Yes, but not in the temple.
(edit: sorry KaptainRob)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rule number one for ping pong shows. Make sure your open glass drink and your face are not in direct or close proximity of the projectile being shot out of the cave cannon. You may regret having to buy a new drink or wipe the sticky slimy ball crud off your face. They are excellent shots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

"While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying Pattaya’s nightlife, make sure to avoid seedy areas of the city." - Then why go to Pattaya? Oh that's right there are impressive attractions (seedy part of the city), such as extravagant performances (ditto) and beautiful beaches (I've been to most of them and I would describe them differently).  When did the Sanctuary of Truth become either cultural or historical? It's an unfinished tourist attraction which was started in the 80s. While I enjoyed the Art in Paradise museum, no one would classify it as great. As to Ripley's, you would have to pay me to go there. Last is the Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, certainly nice and worth the trip but with so many visitors (ok not now) it's hardly a place of serenity. Let be painfully honest, as a tourist there is little reason to go to Pattaya unless it's to either see or partake in the more seedy areas of the city. Heck they bus Chinese tourists in on daily side trips for the explicit reason of visiting the seedy parts of the city. It's not that those other things to do or see are bad, it's just there are better examples everywhere else in the country. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Rule number one for ping pong shows. Make sure your open glass drink and your face are not in direct or close proximity of the projectile being shot out of the cave cannon. You may regret having to buy a new drink or wipe the sticky slimy ball crud off your face. They are excellent shots. 

Went to one of these in CM(the old star Sixx) and the old lady(ugh) opened a beer bottle(you know where) and she handed the beer to a guy i was with, who then drank from that same bottle(urp)...never again

I also remember her gave her 10 baht coin tip (tucked in) and that was enough for me, i left him there

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Went to one of these in CM(the old star Sixx) and the old lady(ugh) opened a beer bottle(you know where) and she handed the beer to a guy i was with, who then drank from that same bottle(urp)...never again

I also remember her gave her 10 baht coin tip (tucked in) and that was enough for me, i left him there

Yeah remember that place here. My story comes from Patpong and taking some USA visitors there. Yuck but so so funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed on the Yuck factor, I even talked to the old ping pong lady asking if she enjoyed doing this, as it seems to go along with once you choose this kind of work , it cancels future prospects.....once was enough for me..

• Haha 1

I have not been to Thailand but been to some of the surrounding countries! Through a connection I have learned a lot about Thailand in the last 18 months. So based on all that Thailand is NOT paradise many would like us to believe! Lot's of desperate people, badly managed government, a playboy king that spends more time abroad than in Thailand, scams and fraud etc., etc! It is the "playground" for many! Investment for the Chinese and sex for many from Arab countries and party place for Americans, Australians and Brits! The more I learn about Thailand the less I want to pay 2500 plus USD just to enter the country then experience whatever it has to offer! While desperate for tourist currency it makes up huge barriers not experienced in other countries or continents! I.E. I can got to Europe for 90 days, no visa, no health insurance required, no Certificate of Entry I have to apply for, no quaranteen (and if there is one it can be spent at a residence or hotel of choice etc). It is my opinion that Thailand is cutting it's foot off to achieve it's percieved goal! Horribly mismanaged! Well.... just one person's opinin!!! Tell me that I am wrong!!!

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Agreed on the Yuck factor, I even talked to the old ping pong lady asking if she enjoyed doing this, as it seems to go along with once you choose this kind of work , it cancels future prospects.....once was enough for me..

Yeah, it has to be niche type of work. Nana Plaza had some odd ball shows on the top level and they were rather young girls who did not look so bad. The PP ones were an OMG so haggard old and even the younger ones looked like something the cat drug in. Since I had to translate for my US associates, it was definitely a no you cannot sit by me or my friends and no you cannot pass go. Here is a drink as a consolation gift, but i did pull a funny fast one and had one of the gals sit by the youngest guys for a big laugh. I must admit though, it was a memory everyone of my USA associates will remember for the rest of their lives. and yes it was an odd weird kind of fun. I just remember laughing my head off dodging the ping pong balls and looking at my friends faces. This was probably 4 years back and everyone was here for a function and so Bangkok is the entertainment spot. PP has really hit the lows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah, it has to be niche type of work. Nana Plaza had some odd ball shows on the top level and they were rather young girls who did not look so bad. The PP ones were an OMG so haggard old and even the younger ones looked like something the cat drug in. Since I had to translate for my US associates, it was definitely a no you cannot sit by me or my friends and no you cannot pass go. Here is a drink as a consolation gift, but i did pull a funny fast one and had one of the gals sit by the youngest guys for a big laugh. I must admit though, it was a memory everyone of my USA associates will remember for the rest of their lives. and yes it was an odd weird kind of fun. I just remember laughing my head off dodging the ping pong balls and looking at my friends faces. This was probably 4 years back and everyone was here for a function and so Bangkok is the entertainment spot. PP has really hit the lows.

Some things you can never unsee.....this being one

• Like 1

What a sad sad situation where you need to post comments on how the behave in Thailand. Thais are human like everywhere. There is no reason to behave any differently to how you are anywhere in the world. If Thais can’t understand they live in a global world where 40 million people (75% of their population and at leat 15% of their GDP) brought economic wealth to their country, then forget it! Why should anyone change to meet their way? Reality is it’s all BS anyway. Thais are just like anyone else in the world. Everything else is just a “Thai marketing load of BS”. Thais are no different to anyone in the world. Everything else is just “ land of smiles” marketing. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2021 at 8:37 AM, Joe said:

I have not been to Thailand but been to some of the surrounding countries! Through a connection I have learned a lot about Thailand in the last 18 months. So based on all that Thailand is NOT paradise many would like us to believe! Lot's of desperate people, badly managed government, a playboy ....................  achieve it's percieved goal! Horribly mismanaged! Well.... just one person's opinin!!! Tell me that I am wrong!!!

OK firstly no you are wrong about Thailand - it is in fact a lot better managed than many other places in SE Asia and has a lot to offer tourists. You have been told about all the negative things (many of the things you quote also apply to other countries) but nothing of the positives.

Thai people are very friendly, the food here is brilliant, there are loads of lovely tourist sites, tours etc, and you don't have to visit the nightlife in "certain areas" if you don't want to (oh and Cambodia, Vietnam and many other places have that aspect covered as well - so it's not just here). There are some wonderful restaurants, not just Thai (we have several Michelin Star properties) and some very nice high end nightclubs and interesting bars, including some rooftop restaurants and bars with spectacular views over the city and surrounds.

On a very serious note - you mentioned something about our royal family, and that is absolutely forbidden, both here on the forum as well as in daily life around the country - we have very strictly enforced lese majeste laws. If you happen to come here, be very careful what you say in public or on social media - no matter your political views, that is not something that people appreciate.

Thailand, like anywhere else has good and bad aspects - but focusing on the bad is not productive for anyone, and you miss out on a country that has a wonderful history and some fantastic places to visit.

• Like 2