UK Visitor Visa

1 hour ago, AliG69 said:

Can you transfer a UK visitor visa to a new passport?

No.

You don't need to - in fact it is impossible to remove and reinsert.

Carry 2 passports.

Same is true if you had a visa for Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AliG69 said:

Can you transfer a UK visitor visa to a new passport?

They won't issue a Visitor Visa unless the Passport is valid for the duration of Visa validity.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chaimai said:

No.

You don't need to - in fact it is impossible to remove and reinsert.

Carry 2 passports.

Same is true if you had a visa for Thailand.

If  you have a visa for Thailand you are required to have it changed from the old passport to the new one.

I didn't do that once, and had bit of a problem at the border.

Dem's da rules.

This time, when I got a new passport, I had my visa transferred to it without a problem.

55 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

If  you have a visa for Thailand you are required to have it changed from the old passport to the new one.

Dem's da rules.

This time, when I got a new passport, I had my visa transferred to it without a problem.

I was asking about a UK visitor visa not a Thai visa, but thank for your reply

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Dem's da rules.

No you do not.

I believe that you are talking about an extension of stay.

A "Visa" is perfectly valid in an expired passport - you just need to carry new and old passports. Seen it done many times when I used to arrange visits from Thailand to Siem Reap.

Please be careful what you post - people reading this forum often do so for accurate information.

The same applies to UK visas. Out of interest why would you have a need to transfer a UK visa ?

If it is a long-term visa (ie 5/10 years) you simply carry both passports (only recently has Thailand started to issue 10 year passports so this is usually going to be a requirement for such visas).

I must admit I am not sure what happens in the case of a lost or stolen passport.......I imagine that you would need to apply, and pay, for a new visa.

Edited by Chaimai

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

No you do not.

I believe that you are talking about an extension of stay.

A "Visa" is perfectly valid in an expired passport - you just need to carry new and old passports. Seen it done many times when I used to arrange visits from Thailand to Siem Reap.

Please be careful what you post - people reading this forum often do so for accurate information.

Once again, I am only relating what I was told at Immigration.  I was told I MUST have my Visa transferred (it wasn't an extension, I was still in the original period and had an exit/entry in the original passport, as well).

Since real-life experiences don't matter a spit with you people, I will refrain from any more offerings of this nature.

Good day, to you.

8 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Once again, I am only relating what I was told at Immigration.  I was told I MUST have my Visa transferred (it wasn't an extension, I was still in the original period and had an exit/entry in the original passport, as well).

Since real-life experiences don't matter a spit with you people, I will refrain from any more offerings of this nature.

Good day, to you.

That would be true for a visa for Thailand but my question was about a visa to the UK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Hi Mr Stretch,

The OP was enquiring about a UK visitor Visa, as in taking a Thai to visit another Country, in this case to the UK.

@AliG69

If your applying for a UK visitor visa, the visa is valid for 6 months to enter the UK.
The date between the issue date and the expiry date is also the period she can stay in the UK.

The passport should be valid for 6 months beyond the visa expiry date for visa issuance.
If the passport validity doesn't cover the visa validity, they won't issue the visa, you'd need to get a new passport.

I therefore don't understand your question relating to transferring a UK visitor visa to a new passport.
Can you give further details of your predicament.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faz said:

@AliG69

If your applying for a UK visitor visa, the visa is valid for 6 months to enter the UK.
The date between the issue date and the expiry date is also the period she can stay in the UK.

The passport should be valid for 6 months beyond the visa expiry date for visa issuance.
If the passport validity doesn't cover the visa validity, they won't issue the visa, you'd need to get a new passport.

I therefore don't understand your question relating to transferring a UK visitor visa to a new passport.
Can you give further details of your predicament.

I will be applying for a 5 year UK visitor visa and presently only have a 5 year passport, hence the question about transferring to a new passport

1 hour ago, AliG69 said:

I will be applying for a 5 year UK visitor visa and presently only have a 5 year passport, hence the question about transferring to a new passport

You must provide a passport or travel document. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK and contain a blank page for your visa.
Standard Visitor visa : Documents you'll need - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Your only issue may be in the 5th year.

1 hour ago, AliG69 said:

Why not remove the worry and just apply for a new passport first ?

6 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Good day, to you.

You didn't have a visa if Immigration told you that you had an extension of stay which needs transferring into a new passport, along with the original visa details.

Please learn the basic terminology, it will avoid you embarrassing yourself. I have been there, done that - it is how I learned. Now, put your toys back in the pram and learn to play with the grown ups..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chaimai said:

You didn't have a visa if Immigration told you that you had an extension of stay which needs transferring into a new passport, along with the original visa details.

Please learn the basic terminology, it will avoid you embarrassing yourself. I have been there, done that - it is how I learned. Now, put your toys back in the pram and learn to play with the grown ups..

I dont know why you are thinking about Thai Immigration, my question related to a Visa for entry to the UK

13 hours ago, Benroon said:

Why not remove the worry and just apply for a new passport first ?

I intended to do that but all the Thai passport offices are closed and dont know when they will open again

19 hours ago, Faz said:

Hi Mr Stretch,

The OP was enquiring about a UK visitor Visa, as in taking a Thai to visit another Country, in this case to the UK.

I know, I was responding to the poster that said, "It's the same for..."

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AliG69 said:

I dont know why you are thinking about Thai Immigration, my question related to a Visa for entry to the UK

My apologies but, as I said, the principle is the same. The visa sticker remains in the old passport and cannot be detached - obviously UKVI will not issue another to go in the new passport. Remember - the visa remains valid even if the passport has expired.

Only recently has Thailand started to issue 10 year passports (and NOT everywhere I am told), so the idea of getting a new passport to cover the whole duration of a 5 year UK Visa makes some sense - not essential, simply more convenient. 

• Like 2