Wednesday Covid Update: Record high of 20,200 new cases and 188 deaths

Thaiger

A record high of 20,200 new Covid-19 cases and another high of 188 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Thailand now has 211,076 active Covid-19 cases. In the latest and most severe wave of the virus, first recorded on April 1, the CCSA has recorded 643,522 Covid-19 cases. In 24 hours, the CCSA says 17,975 Covid-19 patients were released from medical care and confirmed as “recovered.” Over the past week, the daily case counts have been in the 17,000s and 18,000s. The CCSA had earlier predicted that the daily infection rate would exceed 20,000 due to the spread […]

The post Wednesday Covid Update: Record high of 20,200 new cases and 188 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'm confident the 'spin doctors' on Good Morning Phuket aka Good Morning Thailand can ensure this has a positive slant.

In the real world, these figures will continue to rise, both new positive cases and deaths. Sadly a good number were potentially avoidable.

In the meantime, let's concentrate on massaging figures and moving the goal posts in Phuket

• Like 4

if the govt had any sense (which they dont) instead of sending people into a panic with new infection rates and until they get enough vaccines for people, perhaps just concentrating on the Number of : hospitalisations, how many critical and how many on ventilators

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gordo2613 said:

if the govt had any sense (which they dont) instead of sending people into a panic with new infection rates and until they get enough vaccines for people, perhaps just concentrating on the Number of : hospitalisations, how many critical and how many on ventilators

Daily positive case numbers aren't very important as you pointed out. However, it has a correlation with ICU and ventilation numbers later on. Those numbers are announced every day at a later hour, but they are rising alarmingly alongside the daily cases. :( So it doesn't matter which figures we are looking for, they aren't looking any better.

• Like 3

They DONT want you to know how many are in hospital or on ventilators, then you would panic.

According to Worldometer there are 216,579 infected known cases currently In Thailand.

I don't live in one of the tinsel towns and I'm seeing people not reporting cases as they are scared they will be quarantined, if quarantined who feeds the family then? Hunger or Covid not a great choice.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gordo2613 said:

The problem is with this government we don't know real figures and quite possibly will never know what the true numbers were even after the worst of this pandemic is deemed to be over. That means in the future, by which time Thailand will have hopefully evolved from their system of feudal control and pseudo governments, that the true democratic government of the future will have no solid data from which they can learn from for when the next pandemic or major health issue arises unfortunately. So hence there will be no possibility of "lessons learned" thanks to this current administration.

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

They DONT want you to know how many are in hospital or on ventilators, then you would panic.

According to Worldometer there are 216,579 infected known cases currently In Thailand.

I don't live in one of the tinsel towns and I'm seeing people not reporting cases as they are scared they will be quarantined, if quarantined who feeds the family then? Hunger or Covid not a great choice.

These are the figures from yesterday:

The share of COVID patients hospitalized in critical condition set a new record high of 4,893 (+125). It was the seventh consecutive daily record high for critical patients.

And, the share of COVID critical condition patients on ventilators set a new record high of 1,046 (+18). It was the seventh consecutive daily record high for patients on ventilators.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BookShe said:

The share of COVID patients hospitalized in critical condition set a new record high of 4,893 (+125). It was the seventh consecutive daily record high for critical patients.

And, the share of COVID critical condition patients on ventilators set a new record high of 1,046 (+18). It was the seventh consecutive daily record high for patients on ventilators.

Bookshe, thank you for that. The critical condition numbers hit home much more than do the relatively meaningless number of cases, as they make crystal clear the danger to the health systems ability to cope. This obviously has very serious implications for many in the far reaches of the country well outside the tourist trails.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BookShe said:

Care to share the source of those numbers ? OurWorldInData.org doesnt including any hospitalisation numbers.

4 minutes ago, Mopi said:

Care to share the source of those numbers ? OurWorldInData.org doesnt including any hospitalisation numbers.

https://www.thainewsreports.com/

or 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

This one is the official site, so it's in Thai, but the figures you are looking for are the two "purple boxes" in the right left corner

4 hours ago, BookShe said:

Daily positive case numbers aren't very important as you pointed out. However, it has a correlation with ICU and ventilation numbers later on. Those numbers are announced every day at a later hour, but they are rising alarmingly alongside the daily cases. :( So it doesn't matter which figures we are looking for, they aren't looking any better.

Agreed. You need all the figures, but in the end, it’s the rate of change that’s important. I’d like to see case numbers compared to hospitalisations (proper ones, not quarantine) and deaths for Phuket compared to other areas. Phuket has had high levels of vaccination (so I’m told to believe!), hence there should be a clear difference. For example, in the U.K., with 20,000 cases prior to vaccination, there was around 450-500 deaths or 2%. Recently, with high vaccination levels as Phuket is supposed to be, that fell to around 0.3% (20,000 cases with 60 deaths). A similar set of figures should be showing in Thailand? 

Todays figures of 188 deaths and 20,000 cases shows 0.94%. However deaths lag cases by about 2 weeks. Two weeks ago Thailand had around 10,000 cases I believe and hence the percentage of deaths was around 1.9% which is in line with U.K. percentages. Therefore, we can expect deaths to rise to around 400 by mid August. Grim !! 

Edited by Soidog
Included figures
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. You need all the figures, but in the end, it’s the rate of change that’s important. I’d like to see case numbers compared to hospitalisations (proper ones, not quarantine) and deaths for Phuket compared to other areas. Phuket has had high levels of vaccination (so I’m told to believe!), hence there should be a clear difference. For example, in the U.K., with 20,000 cases prior to vaccination, there was around 450-500 deaths or 2%. Recently, with high vaccination levels as Phuket is supposed to be, that fell to around 0.3% (20,000 cases with 60 deaths). A similar set of figures should be showing in Thailand? 

Not true at least in England. There the less deadly delta took over. 1614 died between Feb 1 and July 19th of Alpha variant and the total for Alpha is 4,265. Delta is at 461.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005517/Technical_Briefing_19.pdf

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

case numbers compared to hospitalisations (proper ones, not quarantine) and deaths for Phuket compared to other areas.

I'm sure somewhere, someone made these comparisons, but I don't know where to find it. To be honest I don't even care, because in the end, we have to accept the numbers the government provides. However, I'm pretty sure that Phuket is doing much better than Bangkok.

I am a little depressed today ...

Let's face it : The only effect of the vaccination is that the vaccinated person will not become seriously ill and survive when infected again . But that person is still able to further spread the virus and infect other people , vaccinated or not . The protective effects of the vaccination diminish with time . In the case of Sinovac , it is about 50% after just 40 days . No reliable data yet for the other , better , vaccines , but the protection will probably last only a limited time also ... a regular refreshment will be imposed to vaccinated people ... Vaccinated or not , the continuing spread of the virus even by fully  " protected " people will enable the virus to further mutate ... and become more lethal or resistant to the vaccines . ( may be ) .

The virus will not be eliminated by vaccines , vaccines only protect the vaccinated people to become seriously ill .

EVERYBODY  will become infected in the long run .

It will not just miraculously disappear , ( Trump ) , it is here to stay and further mutate ...

Not want to talk about the effects of climate change on top of this ...  Is this the beginning of the end for humanity ? It looks like ...

• Like 1

I'm sure somewhere, someone made these comparisons, but I don't know where to find it. To be honest I don't even care, because in the end, we have to accept the numbers the government provides. However, I'm pretty sure that Phuket is doing much better than Bangkok.

Yes agreed. You’d expect some significant variances across the provinces anyway. Population density and lifestyle are important. People packing on to the BTS, busses and enclosed restaurants in shopping malls is going to spread things. Open dining and being on the beach will offer little way to spread the virus. One thing is for sure. Numbers are going to climb unless they lockdown harder and/or vaccinate faster. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Not true at least in England. There the less deadly delta took over. 1614 died between Feb 1 and July 19th of Alpha variant and the total for Alpha is 4,265. Delta is at 461.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1005517/Technical_Briefing_19.pdf

Sorry, I’ve missed the point you are making. I’m still on my first coffee so you’ll excuse me ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Let's face it : The only effect of the vaccination is that the vaccinated person will not become seriously ill and survive when infected again . But that person is still able to further spread the virus and infect other people , vaccinated or not . The protective effects of the vaccination diminish with time . In the case of Sinovac , it is about 50% after just 40 days . No reliable data yet for the other , better , vaccines , but the protection will probably last only a limited time also ... a regular refreshment will be imposed to vaccinated people ... Vaccinated or not , the continuing spread of the virus even by fully  " protected " people will enable the virus to further mutate ... and become more lethal or resistant to the vaccines . ( may be ) .

The virus will not be eliminated by vaccines , vaccines only protect the vaccinated people to become seriously ill .

It will not just miraculously disappear , ( Trump ) , it is here to stay and further mutate ...

Not want to talk about the effects of climate change on top of this ...  Is this the beginning of the end for humanity ? It looks like ...

There was a report yesterday (I’ll see if I can find it) that showed the vaccines do offer a significant level of protection against contracting the virus. I believe it was a reduction of over 60%? While the vaccines don’t make you immune, they do reduce infection rates also. So there is some good news in this. That said, yes I think there’s a strong possibility most people will get Covid in their lifetime. That said, I’ve never even had Flu and I’m  no spring chicken! 

• Like 1

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/vaccine-efficacy-effectiveness-and-protection

Vaccine protection and transmission

COVID-19 vaccines are crucial tools in the pandemic response and protect against severe disease and death. Vaccines provide at least some protection from infection and transmission, but not as much as the protection they provide against serious illness and death. More evidence is needed to determine exactly how well they stop infection and transmission.

Sorry , I do not know how to reduce the bold pasted writing to normal size ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/vaccine-efficacy-effectiveness-and-protection

Vaccine protection and transmission

COVID-19 vaccines are crucial tools in the pandemic response and protect against severe disease and death. Vaccines provide at least some protection from infection and transmission, but not as much as the protection they provide against serious illness and death. More evidence is needed to determine exactly how well they stop infection and transmission.

Sorry , I do not know how to reduce the bold pasted writing to normal size ...

Yes I found the report I mentioned and couldn’t forward the link as it then asks you to sign in! Anyway, the figure quoted on a report from the U.K. suggests a 50% reduction in transmission risk (not the greater than 60% I initially said). Nowhere near immunity, but I’ll take that and a much stronger protection against illness and death ??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

There's nothing for you to feel depressed about today. Here's some heartwarming news to cheer you up.

India, Germany, UK just launched their naval forces to the South-China sea to join the US naval forces who are already there. Covid is not deadly enough, the climate change is not fast enough to wipe us out so let's just start a nuclear war instead while the Chinese are in talks with the Taliban. Have a good day now :)

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A record high of 20,200 new Covid-19 cases and another high of 188 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Thailand now has 211,076 active Covid-19 cases. In the latest and most severe wave of the virus, first recorded on April 1, the CCSA has recorded 643,522 Covid-19 cases. In 24 hours, the CCSA says 17,975 Covid-19 patients were released from medical care and confirmed as “recovered.” Over the past week, the daily case counts have been in the 17,000s and 18,000s. The CCSA had earlier predicted that the daily infection rate would exceed 20,000 due to the spread […]

The post Wednesday Covid Update: Record high of 20,200 new cases and 188 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Phuket covid cases on the rise is more likely from Workers returning from Dark Red zones not the migrant workers that hardly go in public buildings and restaurants. Phuket has left the Back Door Open by a 5 day warning to hurry and bring you illness with you. I heard of bar girls doing just that from people with direct contact to them. Nok Air going around the restrictions from Rayong is crazy since Chonburi uses this airport exclusively, so will people Bangkok.

July 1 all entering Phuket should have had the Same restrictions of 3 day Negative test not 1 week.

Who is in charge of entering Phuket some Elementary Student? I would like to see their educational degree. It certainly isn't a University Education of high standards.

Germany just sent one 25 year old and unarmed vessel on a ' peace mission ' around half the world that will pass by the south China sea , but nowhere near potential conflict zones ... 555 . they don't want war with China ... who will buy all their Mercedes Benz then ?

But Biden talks about the possibility of a " real shooting war "

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-warns-cyber-attacks-could-lead-a-real-shooting-war-2021-07-27/

Poor Biden , he looks so very old now ...

Ouf , thanks for your efforts to reduce my depression ... I will open a bottle of black jack now and eat a lot of french fries with tons of mayonnaise , may be I can die of a heart attack ...

There's nothing for you to feel depressed about today. Here's some heartwarming news to cheer you up.

India, Germany, UK just launched their naval forces to the South-China sea to join the US naval forces who are already there. Covid is not deadly enough, the climate change is not fast enough to wipe us out so let's just start a nuclear war instead while the Chinese are in talks with the Taliban. Have a good day now :)

Edited by Nobodysfriend
  • Haha 2