Tourist visa

Recordplayer

Hi, I am interested in coming to Thailand in December for a couple of months. I'm from the UK. 

What visa do I need?

When I have been before, all I did was fill out a bit of paper on the plane and got my passport stamped. 

Us that still happening?

You can enter Visa exempt and be permitted to stay for 30 days + a further 30 day extension.

If you think you may stay longer, I recommend you apply for a Tourist Visa which will permit a stay of 60 days on entry + a further 30 day extension.

• Like 1

The tourist visa  mention above is called  a single entry Tourist Visa ! There are documents you have to furnish to get one of these  and there is a fee involved !

When I have been before, all I did was fill out a bit of paper on the plane and got my passport stamped.  "

This was a visa exempt entry . People from G7 countries  ,like the UK ,are given 30 day entry, no hassle .

FaZ, gave a very good explanation   of using that visa exempt entry and then apply for a 30 day extension at a immigration office,  during your visit here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhayakPeter said:

You could try to extend your 30 day on arrival, twice, but never tried to, 30 day extension is ฿1900. 

Still cheaper than a SETV.

• Like 1

The Certificate of Entry form provides for Visa Exemption as a basis for entry, but does anyone know whether there have been problems getting a CoE without an issued visa?

CoE-Exempt.png

I been going to LOS from the states yearly since 2008..NEVER got a visa, always got my 30 day "stamp" at airport and extended it for another 30 for 1900 baht..so about a buck a day.....I stay up north and then take a 5 hr bus to Burma border(mae sai) and get another 30 free and extend that again=4 months no visa

They allow 2 of these burma border jumps 2x a year so could actually get a 6 months stay out of it..

Or I haul to Laos and get a visa there but its a long trip by bus--or could fly or take sleeper train from bkk

But I always think why give up that free 30 days on arrival and lazy to go thru the visa process, works for

me as usually after 4 months im ready to head home and work for a bit, until I get tired of that scene...

• Like 2

I always get a multiple entry tourist visa.  This allows me to stay for 60 days. I simply fly to a neighboring country for a week or two after 60 days. Upon re-entry to Thailand I can stay for another 60 days.  Thailand is a great hub to explore all of South East Asia.  Thailand is a "hub" for many things.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I always get a multiple entry tourist visa.  This allows me to stay for 60 days. I simply fly to a neighboring country for a week or two after 60 days. Upon re-entry to Thailand I can stay for another 60 days.  Thailand is a great hub to explore all of South East Asia.  Thailand is a "hub" for many things.

They were the days........

• Like 1

You can stay in Thailand for almost 9 months with the METV with only 2 border hops and 3 x 30 days extensions. Almost 11 months if you have Thai family/Spouse.

Of course all hypothetical at the moment as borders are closed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SomTum said:

The Certificate of Entry form provides for Visa Exemption as a basis for entry, but does anyone know whether there have been problems getting a CoE without an issued visa?

Haven't heard of any issues getting the COE entering VE.
The only issue being you need to provide an onward ticket within 30 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

Haven't heard of any issues getting the COE entering VE.
The only issue being you need to provide an onward ticket within 30 days.

I have never been asked to provide proof of an onward ticket.  I like to be flexible in my travel plans. My travel agent can provide a detailed itinerary as opposed to actual tickets.  This has always worked well for me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I have never been asked to provide proof of an onward ticket.  I like to be flexible in my travel plans. My travel agent can provide a detailed itinerary as opposed to actual tickets.  This has always worked well for me.

Yep, you won't be asked for a onward ticket when applying for a Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate.
Proof of an onward ticket only applies to VE entries. 

Multiple entries Visas are useless whilst borders remain closed.
They introduced the STV as a gap filler, allowing you to stay for 9 months without having to leave, but they've ended that prematurely in my opinion, I guess on the assumption that Thailand would open for business as usual in October.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I've been trying to contact the thai embassy in London for the last 3 days and just stay on hold for a few hours at a time, so I never get any answers. 

So in a nutshell, the C.O.E. is the visa exempt and just get it renewed after 30 days............

I looked at the evisa Web page and they want details of where and for how long you are staying, I don't want to book anything until I know my visa is sorted. 

It's like the old question of which came 1st, the chicken or the egg

20 minutes ago, Recordplayer said:

So in a nutshell, the C.O.E. is the visa exempt and just get it renewed after 30 days............

I looked at the evisa Web page and they want details of where and for how long you are staying, I don't want to book anything until I know my visa is sorted. 

No. If it's your intention to stay for only 2 months you don't need a Visa.
Enter Visa exempt (no visa) grants 30/45 days on entry, extend stay for a further 30 days.

If you think you may want to stay beyond 60 days, then apply for a Tourist Visa, grants 60 days on entry, can be extended for a further 30 days - then once you've obtained the TV, apply for the COE.
Once the COE is pre approved you have 15 days to book and pay for everything then upload it to the site to get the COE certificate.

The COE (certificate of entry) is required to enter Thailand during the Covid restrictions.
To obtain the COE you need to provide proof of flight, hotel and Covid test bookings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faz said:

No. If it's your intention to stay for only 2 months you don't need a Visa.
Enter Visa exempt (no visa) grants 30/45 days on entry, extend stay for a further 30 days.

If you think you may want to stay beyond 60 days, then apply for a Tourist Visa, grants 60 days on entry, can be extended for a further 30 days - then once you've obtained the TV, apply for the COE.
Once the COE is pre approved you have 15 days to book and pay for everything then upload it to the site to get the COE certificate.

The COE (certificate of entry) is required to enter Thailand during the Covid restrictions.
To obtain the COE you need to provide proof of flight, hotel and Covid test bookings.

AND covid insurance

On 8/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, bushav8r said:

I have never been asked to provide proof of an onward ticket.

I'm not sure I've ever been asked by immigration, but the airlines might have provided the information because they are supposed to check before allowing you to board your flight for Thailand.

• Like 2

I agree.  The airlines must pay to get you back home if you are refused entry.  They do everything  in their power to ensure you will be granted entry.

Edited by bushav8r
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Faz said:

Yes and Covid Insurance, which only has to cover the period of stay granted on entry

Presumably that would be for 60 days if entering on a TV. What about Covid insurance if you subsequently extend?

38 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Presumably that would be for 60 days if entering on a TV. What about Covid insurance if you subsequently extend?

The Covid Insurance is only compulsory for entry into Thailand and to cover the permission of stay granted on entry.

It is not compulsory for extending your stay at a local Immigration office.
However, for the small difference in cost, you may want to consider taking a 3 month Covid Insurance policy to cover the whole period if intending to extend your stay.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:01 AM, bushav8r said:

An onward ticket is only a compulsory requirement when entering Visa exempt.

For Tourist Visa applications the requirements can vary between the Thai Embassies.
For example the Thai Embassy London only request flight confirmation, no outbound ticket requested.
The Thai Embassy Canada however request a round trip ticket or itinerary for a Tourist Visa.

https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/115646-tourist-visa?page=5f22345fc9f293258979a013&menu=5f2cc21c3b772d569a487f46

2. Documents Required

• Passport, travel document or certificate of identity with validity not less than 6 months (Damaged, invalid or altered passports will not be accepted).
  • Visa application form completely filled out with applicant's signature.
  • Recent( 2"x 2") photograph of the applicant (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat or from vending machine will not be accepted)
  • A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 2:19 AM, PhayakPeter said:

You could try to extend your 30 day on arrival, twice, but never tried to, 30 day extension is ฿1900. 

You can only extend a Visa exempt or Tourist Visa entry once for 30 days, unless you have Thai family/Spouse, then you can apply for a separate additional 60 day extension to visit Thai family.

See: 
 Common Visa Types explained. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

• Like 1