Royal Thai Police say bitterleaf can’t cure Covid

Thaiger

The Royal Thai Police want the public to know that bitterleaf trees can’t cure cancer is not true and is fake news. Kissana Pattanacharoen, the deputy spokesperson for the RTT says the Anti Fake News Centre Thailand discovered the fraudulent claim about bitterleaf’s medicinal properties today and verified this with the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine. However, the department verified that it was not true and that there was no research that indicated bitterleaf could cure Covid, says Kissana. Kissana says fake news like this is in the news every day. Further, that officials will take legal actions […]

The post Royal Thai Police say bitterleaf can’t cure Covid appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So the RTP have now turned medical advisors. Whilst their point may well be right  perhaps they should leave medical issues to the professionals and just concentrate on pointing out fake news issues without medical statements i.e. "The Royal Thai Police want the public to know that bitterleaf trees can’t cure cancer"

To best inform, and to avoid confusion, any article like this should include the Thai name of the plant, as well as the botanical genus & species name. Bitterleaf is a common name used to describe several different plants, so the botanical name would enable those who're interested to actually determine which specific plant this article is supposedly talking about. 

• Like 2

only idiots will believe such things, the problem is the number of idiots on this planet ......... if only i was informed before to come down to earth .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pharmer said:

To best inform, and to avoid confusion, any article like this should include the Thai name of the plant, as well as the botanical genus & species name. Bitterleaf is a common name used to describe several different plants, so the botanical name would enable those who're interested to actually determine which specific plant this article is supposedly talking about. 

From the BP article.

Bitterleaf is Gymnanthemum extensum, known as nan chao woei in Thai.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

So the RTP have now turned medical advisors. 

Not sure you how you can come to that statement. The article clearly states the advice of it not being a cure came from the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine. The RTP are just enforcing the law about the distribution of fake news and citing the correct proper source of such advice from those medically qualified to determine it. They are simply doing what they have asked others to do. Cite their source.

• Haha 1

And, to the tune of that classic 'My Fair Lady' song . . .

RTP:   Bitterleaf can’t cure Covid

People:  Oh yes it can!

RTP:  No it can’t!

People:   Yes it can, yes it can, yes it caaannn . . . tell those cops to keep their noses on the streets.

31 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Not sure you how you can come to that statement. The article clearly states the advice of it not being a cure came from the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine. The RTP are just enforcing the law about the distribution of fake news and citing the correct proper source of such advice from those medically qualified to determine it. They are simply doing what they have asked others to do. Cite their source.

For heaven's sake, @Smithydog, cut your fellow posters some slack. This @gummypost, like a vast proportion of TT posts, was clearly expressed with a touch of facetious rhetoric. Didn't you see that?

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

For heaven's sake, @Smithydog, cut your fellow posters some slack. This @gummypost, like a vast proportion of TT posts, was clearly expressed with a touch of facetious rhetoric. Didn't you see that?

Obviously not from my statement. So I am sorry if I missed it.

Personally, I don’t feel it is as easy to spot sometimes as you say. Otherwise, why do I have to moderate on so many disputes on what one person thinks is funny and another doesn’t.

Simply, it is often difficult to work out if someone is being serious or facetious from the text only. And not every member has the capacity to separate their writing style so easily.

Again, sorry I missed it this time. Perhaps an Emoji may have helped? ?

9 hours ago, Smithydog said:

You are not sure ?  Well let me state their quote again which was at the beginning of the report

"The Royal Thai Police want the public to know that bitterleaf trees can’t cure cancer"

Now is that clear ?  Now to have been in line with your comment the RTP should have quoted; "Based on medical advice the the Royal Thai Police want the public to know that bitterleaf trees can’t cure cancer"

Some interesting things going on here, so I added some comments to this 4 paragraph news-article (rendered in italic below). 

The Royal Thai Police want the public to know that bitterleaf trees can’t cure cancer is not true and is fake news.   >> So the RTP wants us to know it CAN cure cancer (double negation) - obviously not the message they wanted to convey.

Kissana Pattanacharoen, the deputy spokesperson for the RTT says the Anti Fake News Centre Thailand discovered the fraudulent claim about bitterleaf’s medicinal properties today and verified this with the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine.

However, the department verified that it was not true and that there was no research that indicated bitterleaf could cure Covid, says Kissana.  >> The fact that there was 'no research' does NOT imply that the bitterleaf trees don't have medicinal properties, only that no (published) research has been conducted to verify that statement.

Kissana says fake news like this is in the news every day. Further, that officials will take legal actions against disseminators of fake news. The spokesperson adds that it is in violation of the Computer Crimes Act, also, that offenders face 5 years in prison and/or a 100,000 baht fine.  >> Does this mean that any statement not backed-up by 'qualified' research now falls under the Fake News header?  Imo science is meant to be done in the spirit of free enquiry and not to be used as medical tyranny.

9 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Does this mean that any statement not backed-up by 'qualified' research now falls under the Fake News header?  Imo science is meant to be done in the spirit of free enquiry and not to be used as medical tyranny.

Perhaps it does in the eyes of the RTP. Who can really say what they want. Another day, another announcement.

The sad fact is that history shows the challenge for the those with an alternative opinion to the norm has always been to get their voice heard and accepted. They are forced to repeat their message, suffer under the control of those in power at the time who may disagree with the message and even be legally challenged. 

I often look at these sorts of things a bit cynically when comparing to life when I was growing up. Scientists had far more respect then and things have declined since. The explosion of media options and the ability for anyone to express an opinion, right or wrong, qualified or unqualified, has not helped with scientific respect. A rise in the number of published conspiracy theories and messages spruiked by charlatans interested in only building their own wealth has been aided by that explosion, further hurting those with a legitimate message.

I don't say we should go back to how we were in my younger years. Social Media has given me the chance to join the voices of the unqualified opined!?

However, personally sometimes I feel sad that Society itself hasn't been able to keep up with the pace of these developments and adjust. It seems governments worldwide have simply turned back to their comfort zones of control to try and minimise change from their perceived desired path, as has been their method too often in history.

The RTPs messages seem to be just one example of this happening, all across the world in real time.

• Like 2