“Pattaya Move On” reopening likely to be postponed as Covid cases surge

Thaiger

With Chon Buri ranking as one of the top provinces with the highest number of daily Covid-19 infections, the “Pattaya Move On” reopening plan will likely be delayed due to the rise in cases and slow rollout of vaccines. September was the eyed start date for the reopening plan for specified areas in Chon Buri. The project is similar to the “Phuket Sandbox” model allowing travellers from overseas, who are vaccinated against Covid-19, to enter without undergoing a 14-day quarantine. But that start date is likely to be pushed back, according to the acting president of the Chon Buri Tourism […]

The post “Pattaya Move On” reopening likely to be postponed as Covid cases surge appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'm not sure the term 'likely be delayed'. There should be no question about delaying it until the daily positive cases have reduced considerably. Unlike Phuket, it's going to be as good as impossible controlling or monitoring peoples movements. One step forward and three back. It seems just about everyone except the Prayut Government wants to see Thailand reopen fully in the near future.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

September was the eyed start date for the reopening plan for specified areas in Chon Buri.

Big bang has turned into a damp squib trying to cross the road then .. 

• Like 1

Guess there won't be any fanfare for this announcement, as if nobody could see this coming over the Covid horizon. Does the governor not see that Pattaya is more shutdown (lockdown) than Phuket, at least you can have a swim in Phuket. 

Come on get real, you need more vaccines for a start so you can even begin to think about opening, I mean how long do you think it's going to take when you vaccinate 2000 per day if your lucky ?

• Like 1

Herd immunity which is the catch Covid  phrase in the western world, would require 50 million people vaccinated in Thailand or to have caught the virus and survived.

At the current rate of infection and vaccination we are looking at 2 years before Thailand would be at this stage.  

Herd immunity is when western nations believe they can get back to "normal" with regular flights and tourism.  Some have tried to do it earlier without success, Spain, Thailand and other "bubbles".

In light of this why does the Thai Govt think it has the magic wand against the spread of Covid with talks of "normal" in September? Is this a Govt dreaming or am I missing something here, I know I'm not the brightest spark in the campfire.

16 minutes ago, palooka said:

Herd immunity which is the catch Covid  phrase in the western world, would require 50 million people vaccinated in Thailand or to have caught the virus and survived.

At the current rate of infection and vaccination we are looking at 2 years before Thailand would be at this stage.  

Herd immunity is when western nations believe they can get back to "normal" with regular flights and tourism.  Some have tried to do it earlier without success, Spain, Thailand and other "bubbles".

In light of this why does the Thai Govt think it has the magic wand against the spread of Covid with talks of "normal" in September? Is this a Govt dreaming or am I missing something here, I know I'm not the brightest spark in the campfire.

Spot on remarks there. It’s all simple stalling tactics. The authorities know exactly what the vaccine situation is and I’m sure ministers are fully aware that reaching 70%/80% fully vaccinated is some 9-12 months away. They will also know that if they are using Sinovac, then they will need a booster. All of this they will know and the real plan will show 12-18 months before anything like proper opening can even start. They will need this data for their financial planning and to keep serious local business such as banks and large multinational in the picture.

The question then remains, what do we do about these pesky people, you know, the voters?  Well one way is keep telling them things they want to hear and they  are about to get better. There’s an English saying “jam tomorrow”. Problem is tomorrow never comes. Keep stalling and stalling and stalling. Hand out a few hopeful signs like the Sandbox. Twist the numbers such as hotel booking nights rather than real tourist numbers. Announce a few large infrastructure projects and offer a few cash incentives. A lot of this works well with local people as they need their country to work and grasp at every morsel of positive news. However, it doesn’t wash with foreigners. It won’t wash with investors either. Foreign outflows from the Thai stock market continues and the currency is under severe pressure. False promises and procrastination can work with a local population, but it won’t work with investors.  If the locals kick up too much of a fuss then you can always blame “external forces” and crack down hard. Building trust and investor confidence takes years and can be destroyed in a few weeks. 

• Like 2

I just want common sense to apply to those people, like me, that travel out of the country (to work) , are fully vaccinated and return from work without a ridiculous two weeks of quarantine. 

I can tolerate and understand a test on arrival and even a few days of quarantine and another test. But the current draconian rules are void of any "science" based necessity. 

Edited by mcambl61

Like some one will go to the ghost town, is so brainless the few people that maybe come can cause a huge disaster again...  why they do not listen ever ir learn from their mistakes

3 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

return from work without a ridiculous two weeks of quarantine. 

Nah, that's not going away, that's the only cash cow that's still alive. 

As the gentlement from Thaiger so apptly noted many out of province visitors were allowed in to the Chonburi (Pattaya) including those from Bangkok, which of course is a hot bed of infections. Badly managed by province officials very much like the State of Florida in the U.S. There is no substitute for poor judgement so now they playing catch up! Economic downturn is on thing but people dying because of the lack of vaccine (slow roll out) is something else! Yet still Thailand does not differentiate between vaccinated and not vaccinated people although I think the latter is not allowed in to Thailand at the moment!

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

The question then remains, what do we do about these pesky people, you know, the voters?

Non-issue with the right people in place to ensure nothing comes of it.

6 hours ago, Joe said:

As the gentlement from Thaiger so apptly noted many out of province visitors were allowed in to the Chonburi (Pattaya) including those from Bangkok, which of course is a hot bed of infections. Badly managed by province officials very much like the State of Florida in the U.S. There is no substitute for poor judgement so now they playing catch up! Economic downturn is on thing but people dying because of the lack of vaccine (slow roll out) is something else! Yet still Thailand does not differentiate between vaccinated and not vaccinated people although I think the latter is not allowed in to Thailand at the moment!

Sorry, Florida is absolutely not badly managed. They did not crush their economy or people's lives and businesses. Cases are up, deaths are not. 

They targeted the most vulnerable from the beginning. 

There will never be a zero case reality.

Increased cases are not the issue. 

There's a reason why so many people have left other states and moved there. 

9 hours ago, Paco said:

Like some one will go to the ghost town, is so brainless the few people that maybe come can cause a huge disaster again...  why they do not listen ever ir learn from their mistakes

Unless you live there. 

23 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

No income taxes, the homestead exemption, and the early-bird specials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

Sorry, Florida is absolutely not badly managed. They did not crush their economy or people's lives and businesses. Cases are up, deaths are not. 

They targeted the most vulnerable from the beginning. 

There will never be a zero case reality.

Increased cases are not the issue. 

Where is the moderator to delete these comments that are truly false ???

Florida death rate from Covid up 74% in last 2 weeks.  58+ per day average. 

Population of Florida is 1/4 that of Thailand, so their 58 deaths would equal 232 deaths Thailand, yet Thailand still around 100-150 deaths daily - so around 100 less than Florida currently

Over 39,000 deaths since Covid began.  (Thailand currently around 5000 deaths)

Hospitalizations up 130% in last 2 weeks.  All deaths and hospitalizations are unvaccinated people.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Where is the moderator to delete these comments that are truly false ???

Florida death rate from Covid up 74% in last 2 weeks.  58+ per day average. 

Population of Florida is 1/4 that of Thailand, so their 58 deaths would equal 232 deaths Thailand, yet Thailand still around 100-150 deaths daily - so around 100 less than Florida currently

Over 39,000 deaths since Covid began.  (Thailand currently around 5000 deaths)

Hospitalizations up 130% in last 2 weeks.  All deaths and hospitalizations are unvaccinated people.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html

Dude, stop being so irrational and emotional.

I assume this is motivated by political ideology. If it isn't, then the ridiculous emotional outrage is simply not rational. 

Cases are way up, deaths are not. 

Deal with data and reality. The governor has done a fantastic job of not allowing ridiculous fear mongering to crush the citizens of his state by using common sense. 

Here are the leading death rates per capita by state. Florida is 26th. 

Stop trying to police people's posts just because it doesn't line up with your opinions or ideology. 

Have a nice day. 

Screenshot_20210804_084152.jpg

Screenshot_20210804_084815.jpg

Ok....think we have had enough about Florida.

I know the recent comments were started by a comparison to Florida but feel we are heading a bit too far now off a Topic about Pattaya.

I encourage members to get back on the topic.

Thanks

• Like 2