Phuket bans alcohol sales at restaurants, issues order amid rise of Covid cases

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

Marijuana ?

Is France or Germany in Europe ? I only ask as the same alcohol bans (worse in France) are in those countries due to Covid. Oh hang on Portugal too, then there's Greece and oh look Spain (£13.5k fine for drinking outside there) - you know where Europe is right ?

I don't think he does.

As you say, France closed the bars and nightclubs for months, as did Germany including the beer gardens, and plenty of others have done so off and on: Greece, Spain, Portugal (still closed), Ireland, Holland, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium and Sweden - even Iceland!

You just can't make some of this stuff up, but they still insist they're right!

14 hours ago, divrg said:

Is there any research on the topic behind this decision? This is silly, why should drinking some beer or wine too your meal increase the spread of corona.

14 hours ago, divrg said:

Is there any research on the topic behind this decision? This is silly, why should drinking some beer or wine too your meal increase the spread of corona.

It is because it makes many people behave differently due to the affect of the alcohol.

There are not many farangs and tourists in Thailand at the moment, the vast majority of people are as always Thai, a lot of Thai men go to restaurants in groups and sit and drink together, they soon get drunk and soon do not bother with keeping a distance and so it is then easier to pass on the virus, they are continually clinking their glasses together too.

When you consider tens of millions of people doing this around Thailand and many Thais doing it in Phuket then it makes sense to impose the ban.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EdwardV said:

The term “a pig in a poke” comes to mind. 

Can i add "Fish in a Barrel"?

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"I can't have a glass of wine with my meal? This was your idea. I want a divorce." 

(opens thai friendly app)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

I don't think he does.

As you say, France closed the bars and nightclubs for months, as did Germany including the beer gardens, and plenty of others have done so off and on: Greece, Spain, Portugal (still closed), Ireland, Holland, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium and Sweden - even Iceland!

You just can't make some of this stuff up, but they still insist they're right!

Right in a way that during such lockdowns the number of cases shrank dramatically in the UK,  when they opened up again the numbers rose very quickly, now in the UK we opened up a few weeks ago and the cases have risen but as 72% have had two inoculations the number of cases have risen  but the number of deaths and serious cases have declined.

Thailand has to close down as only a small percentage have been inoculated, it is simple really.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Well as stated, it would seem that if their license is for a bar, and bars are a problem you close the bars.  The fact that the bar sells peanuts and sandwiches does not make it a restaurant.  I don't know if there are different licenses here in Thailand for bars vs. restaurants.  In the USA there are.  In order for an establishment to be considered a restaurant at least 51% of its revenue must come from food not alcohol.  

With the restaurants, they have kicked out unruly patrons for decades and no suddenly they can't control the people who dine in their restaurant.  Hogwash.  And when you go to a restaurant like cabbages and condoms, the sky gallery, or the glass house etc and you are sitting outside, banning alcohol sales is just punitive because of the dislike for alcohol and serves no purpose to reduce covid. 

There are different licences here also, only a couple of weeks ago the local orbortor was telling bar owners to open a kitchen and sell food, I wondered at the time did he make them also get a restaurant licence? 

9 hours ago, Stardust said:

They had a lockdown and didn't allowed crowds the same reason why they locked cinemas, shops etc. Don't mix the lockdown with alcohol ban! 

What ?!?!

There were and are alcohol bans THROUGHOUT Europe  - just Google it if your TV is playing up !! 

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Many of the vaccines that have been given to people under 60 in Phuket and Samui should have been prioritised for vulnerable people across the country. That in turn will lead to fewer hospitalisations and deaths and the whole country could move on. 

I don't agree, I for one was in this group with my wife. Like said many times already I do believe that I wouldn't die from COVID, even before vaccination however I believe even through procentually small I did it for others as well and make it so that the whole world can go back into a 'normal' rhytm and perhaps my business can thrive again.

It's sad that Bangkok never wanted the vaccinations in the first place, young and old. We can be bitching about it but there was the big anti vax movement whom only wanted mRNA vaccines (Moderna or Pfizer) which in my opinion was just another reason to say OK i don't want to be vaccinated - because your asking for something that was and still isn't available for mass population.

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

What ?!?!

There were and are alcohol bans THROUGHOUT Europe  - just Google it if your TV is playing up !! 

My Mother, Sister live in Germany and others of my relatives live in Italy and in swiss. They had no alcohol ban there were ban to drink in some areas where they made parties in crowds! You want to compare apple to cherries! 

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.alkoholverbot-in-stuttgart-hier-ist-das-trinken-untersagt.8e5f9f1e-8a14-4eb4-b36a-c3cdb82bbbdc.html

That was exactly like I wrote before! It was at atumn 2020. 

GOOGLE IT AND READ IF YOU CAN READ GERMAN. UK is not Europe or the world!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stardust said:

My Mother, Sister live in Germany and others of my relatives live in Italy and in swiss. They had no alcohol ban there were ban to drink in some areas where they made parties in crowds! You want to compare apple to cherries! 

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.alkoholverbot-in-stuttgart-hier-ist-das-trinken-untersagt.8e5f9f1e-8a14-4eb4-b36a-c3cdb82bbbdc.html

That was exactly like I wrote before! It was at atumn 2020. 

GOOGLE IT AND READ IF YOU CAN READ GERMAN. UK is not Europe or the world!!!!!

If your tv play it! Outside where big crowds are! No complete alcohol ban and only was in some areas outside and were big crowds could come together! 

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

What ?!?!

Here the official law for alcohol bans while covid only at some places outside were crowds are and only in the evening!!!! Read! And never tell again there was the same!

4 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

There are different licences here also, only a couple of weeks ago the local orbortor was telling bar owners to open a kitchen and sell food, I wondered at the time did he make them also get a restaurant licence?

True but "if" bars are really the problem then it would have to include some requirement in order to be considered a restaurant.  In the USA, the majority of the income has to come from food sales rather than alcohol.  That would be difficult to show if the place was really a bar.  Selling a couple of sandwiches and snacks would not show enough revenue to establish the bar as a restaurant.  

Now "maybe" bars are a problem.  However it appears to me the government is singling them out as dangerous places to spread covid.  I can tell you I would feel a lot more threatened riding a BTS train, or for that matter standing in the meat area of the local Makro.  You are surrounded not by 25 or 50 bar patrons but rather hundreds of other people standing shoulder to shoulder with you.  

To me the government really doesn't have a well thought out plan or rationale for many of its actions.  However they are making things up no matter how ludicrous to show "they are doing something"   I was in the Big C extra a few weeks back and this was the scene there.  Now these people were sitting in the middle of a mall.  And somehow that is not dangerous to spread covid but the same scene if a bar would be dangerous?   How about the requirement for two people who live together having to wear a mask in a car if riding together.   Even if not living together, do they really believe the 3 baht mask will stop the virus from being passed. 

The truth is, that so long as there is human to human contact there is a risk of covid being spread.  The idea that somehow bars and restaurants serving alcohol are more likely than a trip inside a large Homepro, Makro, or Tesco Lotus is just fantasy. 

0?ui=2&ik=97179b3fff&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1707134874240349615&th=17b0f61f92c6f5af&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ98XAGPqr5kHKYN8K48hMTa8rUeXXEn16f5QTyVBG7-rIATJYn70JCuaJAHJ4padmm78TjaDIY5O7Xee_ubyvKRXQMIxCuA9vhnM_mv2-XI9acTmGh0vqOZYYk&disp=emb

Edited by longwood50
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

What ?!?!

I don't think it's his TV playing up!

3 hours ago, Stardust said:

My Mother, Sister live in Germany and others of my relatives live in Italy and in swiss. 

Well that it then - you must be right!

All those reports in the media and government announcements on regulations about alcohol restrictions in France, Germany, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Holland, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium, Sweden and even Iceland at various times due to Covid restrictions were wrong!

Thank God we can rely on you to pass on the real news from your mum and your sister and we  can all learn the truth!!!!!

God Almighty, you just can't make this up!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stardust said:

Here the official law for alcohol bans while covid only at some places outside were crowds are and only in the evening!!!! Read! And never tell again there was the same!

Ummm .... they're the same.

No blanket ban on alcohol sales, just a ban on sales in bars and restaurants,  and consumption at parties, social events, etc.

... so ..... the same ? ? ?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

Now "maybe" bars are a problem.  However it appears to me the government is singling them out as dangerous places to spread covid.  I can tell you I would feel a lot more threatened riding a BTS train, or for that matter standing in the meat area of the local Makro.  You are surrounded not by 25 or 50 bar patrons but rather hundreds of other people standing shoulder to shoulder with you. 

Agreed, @longwood50, but while most of us can get by without bars or a drink with a meal for a while it'd be a lot more challenging if you were to close down all public transport and Makro, Big 'C', Lotus, etc - particularly in the cities!

It's not about eliminatinging risk, which isn't possible, but reducing it.

I was in the Big C extra a few weeks back and this was the scene there.  Now these people were sitting in the middle of a mall.  And somehow that is not dangerous to spread covid but the same scene if a bar would be dangerous?   

Well, at least in the city, people need to go to Big C and malls to shop for necessities to survive - they don't need to go to a bar for that!

How about the requirement for two people who live together having to wear a mask in a car if riding together. 

Even if not living together, do they really believe the 3 baht mask will stop the virus from being passed. 

Ummm ..... yes ..... after all, that is what most experts now say, even if they didn't think so a year ago.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

All those reports in the media and government announcements on regulations about alcohol restrictions in France, Germany, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Holland, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium, Sweden and even Iceland at various times due to Covid restrictions were wrong!

Thank God we can rely on you to pass on the real news from your mum and your sister and we  can all learn the truth!!!!!

By the way I put you already on the ignored list and the anouncements and laws (covid) Germany , europeabout alcohol ban I gave the link. Read it! And if you cannot read it 

https://coronavirus.stuttgart.de/item/show/713383#:~:text=Deshalb hat die Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart,Alkohol konsumiert oder ausgeschenkt werden.

This was the description and source from the authorities about it

Thats it accept the facts or leave it! No more to say about it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shark said:

It's sad that Bangkok never wanted the vaccinations in the first place, young and old. We can be bitching about it but there was the big anti vax movement whom only wanted mRNA vaccines (Moderna or Pfizer) which in my opinion was just another reason to say OK i don't want to be vaccinated - because your asking for something that was and still isn't available for mass population.

Where do you get that from?

What makes you think Bangkok never wanted vaccines and that there was a "big anti vax movement"?

I'm not in Bangkok, but I've never heard of this or seen any sign of it in Thai media or social media apart from a lot of questions and doubts about Sinovac.

Fair enough, there's a surplus of farang anti-vax / flat earther nut-jobs around, but I don't think that includes many Thais, if any.

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I think that’s wise as so far you’ve got nothing right! 

Still at least you’ve accepted there were and still is, alcohol bans throughout Europe  - perhaps your relatives conveniently located throughout Europe were just in a deep sleep ? 

• Haha 1

You not even can read german or the links I sent about the laws and anouncements but wanna explain me Germany. By the way I speak 3 european languages fluently as a native language but english isn't it! 

https://coronavirus.stuttgart.de/item/show/713383#:~:text=Deshalb hat die Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart,Alkohol konsumiert oder ausgeschenkt werden.

Read and never explain somebody anything about any european country you not even can read or speak! Thats it!

5 minutes ago, Stardust said:

By the way I put you already on the ignored list and the anouncements and laws (covid) Germany , europeabout alcohol ban I gave the link. Read it! And if you cannot read it 

This was the description and source from the authorities about it

? ? ? ? ? 

Their facts aren't your facts!!!!!

You really can't make this level of denial and stupidity up.  Many of the bans in countries in Europe were exactly the same as in Thailand  -  some still are.

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

There are not many farangs and tourists in Thailand at the moment, the vast majority of people are as always Thai, a lot of Thai men go to restaurants in groups and sit and drink together, they soon get drunk and soon do not bother with keeping a distance and so it is then easier to pass on the virus, they are continually clinking their glasses together too.

When you consider tens of millions of people doing this around Thailand and many Thais doing it in Phuket then it makes sense to impose the ban.

Exactly.

Where I live there are literally no bars in the entire district - that's 'district', not sub-district.

The nearest bar is about 40 kms away, but that doesn't mean nobody goes out for a drink!

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

'm not in Bangkok, but I've never heard of this or seen any sign of it in Thai media or social media apart from a lot of questions and doubts about Sinovac.

Fair enough, there's a surplus of farang anti-vax / flat earther nut-jobs around, but I don't think that includes many Thais, if any.

actually the "rich families" want this Moderna/Pfizer thing because "reasons" even before the whole "doubts" thing, it was solely because Moderna/Pfizer was made not here and mRNA.

I know a bunch at-least (Thais that is, located in Bangkok whom are still not going to vaccinate even now because no Moderna/Pfizer guarantee).

Ummm .... they're the same.

No blanket ban on alcohol sales, just a ban on sales in bars and restaurants,  and consumption at parties, social events, etc.

... so ..... the same ? ? ?!

Learn to read it! You know nothing about germany or France you not even can read it or understand it! You want to explain me Germany as I born there and grow up there and at a border area to France/ swiss and living and working in 4 european and speaking the languages? I sent already the links and I translated it already the laws and anouncements!

It says outside at some place were they have big crowds from 10 pm to 6 am in the morning. NO ALCOHOL BAN on restaurants!!!!!!

Do you get it??!

You are one who explain sombodies town where he grows up but never been there but insists that you know it better!

this shows clearly everything about your ignorance and mindset! I will no more answer to this thread!

47 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Ummm ..... yes ..... after all, that is what most experts now say, even if they didn't think so a year ago.

Were these the same "experts" that said that the virus was not a problem, no human to human transmission. 

The reality is that at best masks prevent someone who is infected and coughs or sneezes from spraying droplets into the air.   

If you have people sitting together in an enclosed area particularly a close one like a car, the persons breath is going to go through the mask including the virus and the person wearing a mask is going to inhale it.  If you don't believe that put your mask on, put a mirror in front of your face and blow.  You will see the mirror fog.   The mask is not a filter that prevents the virus from escaping or being inhaled, If the masks wee really effective, Estonia, the Netherlands, and Lithuania would have lower covid infection rates than Sweden where there is no mask mandate.  They do not.  If quarantines were effective, New York and New Jersey would have lower covid infection rates than Florida and Texas.  They do not, quite the opposite.  You say population density.  Nope, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Rhode Island, and Iowa are the highest rate per million despite being some of the most sparsely populated areas of the USA. 

I swear that if the "experts" or government told people that wearing a necklace made from garlic and carrying a silver cross would not only ward off vampires but block coronavirus that they would believe them.  The facts on covid infections just don't bear out that draconian measures have much if any impact on lowering covid infection rates.  At best they delay them a week, or month. 

Vaccines hold the best promise to lower covid infection rates and it has been exactly that one thing that Thailand has done the worst job in procuring. 

44 minutes ago, Shark said:

actually the "rich families" want this Moderna/Pfizer thing because "reasons" even before the whole "doubts" thing, it was solely because Moderna/Pfizer was made not here and mRNA.

I know a bunch at-least (Thais that is, located in Bangkok whom are still not going to vaccinate even now because no Moderna/Pfizer guarantee).

Agreed, @Shark, but that's hardly the same as saying "Bangkok never wanted the vacinations in the first place, young and old" and that there was a "big anti vax movement"!