Phuket bans alcohol sales at restaurants, issues order amid rise of Covid cases

Thaiger

24 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

It's getting to the state of :

The Sandbox is dead, long live the Sandbox!

I see no reason for celebration.  It might be severely handicapped but not entirely dead yet.

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

Quote from my earlier post: "Only competent and intelligent people can do researches. If you know anyone in this Govt. with such abilities please let me know, so I can follow them on myspace."

Anybody remember MySpace?

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I see no reason for celebration.  It might be severely handicapped but not entirely dead yet.

It's  not  a statement of celebration!

14 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Intelligent people would understand that joke. You are certainly not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

Intelligent people would understand that joke. You are certainly not one of them.

I wrote it, doom brain.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Now the real Sandbox Tourists will suffer. Pools are closed, but have they closed the Beaches? I pity those Tourists with young children, they may just have to swim in the puddles left in the pot holes.

Doubt there are any real tourists with young children? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:
2 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

I see no reason for celebration.  It might be severely handicapped but not entirely dead yet

There is no reason to celebrate anyone’s failure. However, the mismanagement of the whole vaccination phase of this pandemic has been shambolic, and the Phuket Sandbox is integral to that failure. 

Many of the vaccines that have been given to people under 60 in Phuket and Samui should have been prioritised for vulnerable people across the country. That in turn will lead to fewer hospitalisations and deaths and the whole country could move on. 

Today we have seen news of a potential 300 Billion loss in exports as a result of factories closing,  causing even more misery to the people of Thailand. The sad part is that there is no real incentive for those in power to resolve this. They have no real “skin in the game”. They have all been vaccinated, by prioritising themselves over others, or flown in their private jets and obtained vaccines overseas. It is only through the loss of money in their pockets (which are very deep) will they start to feel a need to resolve this. What a shambles. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChristyS said:

He is a talented writer, rather miss his essays in The Phuket Gazette What does he actually do, anyway?  I see an office near laguna  but what is that for? I always want to ask if he's little Billy Barnett I use to babysit in Annandale 

Just curious, Do you mean Annandale, VA?

• Like 1

Just wait if  Thailand gets downgraded tomorrow to a red country in the U.K. as seems likely. 

Anyone Brit currently holidaying in Phuket can look forward to a compulsory £1750 each quarantine stay at a soulless airport hotel on their return !

Might be late in boss ! 

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:04 AM, Thaiger said:

As the southern island of Phuket gets ready to re-open to vaccinated foreign tourists on Thursday, hotel operators say they’re well prepared. A Bangkok Post report takes a look at the measures in place for the imminent launch of the Phuket “sandbox scheme”. Yesterday, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha highlighted the need for robust measures to stop the spread of Covid-19. At the Cape Panwa Hotel, in the southeast of the island, front office manager Boonsong Suratod says the property has been accredited by the Amazing Thailand Safety & Health Administration and is ready to welcome foreign tourists. “All workers here have […]

The post Phuket re-opens Thursday, hotels ready and waiting to welcome foreign guests appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 hours ago, BookShe said:

"Phuket has the potential to lead the global tourism recovery, as the historic Phuket Sandbox initiative sets the standard for other destinations to follow, he said. "

Sure...

6 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Now the real Sandbox Tourists will suffer. Pools are closed, but have they closed the Beaches? I pity those Tourists with young children, they may just have to swim in the puddles left in the pot holes.

For those of us who travelled here for the Sandbox one of the few pleasures we could have was having a drink in our hotel. Now this is gone its also goodbye to the sandbox. I now regret coming. Who are the people running this island and what are they thinking. Alcohol is not driving up csses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Johnmc17 said:

For those of us who travelled here for the Sandbox one of the few pleasures we could have was having a drink in our hotel. Now this is gone its also goodbye to the sandbox. I now regret coming. Who are the people running this island and what are they thinking. Alcohol is not driving up csses

It's much easier to find the culprit "alcohol" than to face their own incompetence.

my earlier post today: Selling alcohol in restaurants is not the problem here. If you live in Thailand you probably noticed that suddenly all the bars became restaurants, by selling chips and peanuts from their "kitchen" menu. The Samui black-bamboo club was also a "restaurant" with Dj's playing till' dawn causing at least 150 infections as of today. It's easier to ban as a whole, than going after each of these so-called "restaurants"

As far as I know. only public pools are closed. Look on the bright side. You can still go to the beach, but for how long I don't know :)

Edited by BookShe

24 minutes ago, Johnmc17 said:

To answer many people, during a pandemic or any form of national crisis, alcohol will be banned/limited as alcohol and stressful conditions aren't a great mix. Domestic violence (in the UK at least so probably elsewhere) has gone through the roof according to a BBC item a few weeks ago.

Me personally think the link is weak to say the least and should probably be assessed on a case by case basis but that's the reason for the alcohol bans worldwide.

Wives and domestic cats can breathe a sigh of relief ! (Until the football season starts !!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BookShe said:

Selling alcohol in restaurants is not the problem here. If you live in Thailand you probably noticed that suddenly all the bars became restaurants, buy selling chips and peanuts from their "kitchen" menu.

Perhaps someone is more knowledgeable about the exact law than I am.  However I can recall reading where the government was warning bars not to attempt to disguise themselves as restaurants.  I don't know if there is a different license for a bar vs. a restaurant but if there is, certainly you could differentiate that way.  Finally, in the USA licenses to sell liquor are more easily obtained by restaurants versus pure bars.  In order to qualify as a restaurant a specified percentage usually more than 50% of the total revenue has to come from food versus alcohol sales.  Again, that also would be a solution.  

Even in a bar, I truly believe I would face a greater degree of risk riding the BTS train than being in a bar.  That is especially true if the bar was an open air bar. 

23 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

However I can recall reading where the government was warning bars not to attempt to disguise themselves as restaurants

The government says and does many illogical decisions, and the locals interpret the way it suits them best. It's impossible to get a policeman to each bar and restaurant to enforce the law, and even if it would be possible there's a fee for them to look the other way or "angle"

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

To answer many people, during a pandemic or any form of national crisis, alcohol will be banned/limited as alcohol and stressful conditions aren't a great mix. Domestic violence (in the UK at least so probably elsewhere) has gone through the roof according to a BBC item a few weeks ago.

Me personally think the link is weak to say the least and should probably be assessed on a case by case basis but that's the reason for the alcohol bans worldwide.

Wives and domestic cats can breathe a sigh of relief ! (Until the football season starts !!)

What are you talking? By the way uk is not the world and is no more europe! In europe they never banned Alcohol in any crises not even in the 2nd world war! Unbelievable to talk about worldwide or to think the uk is the world! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

What are you talking? By the way uk is not the world and is no more europe! In europe they never banned Alcohol in any crises not even in the 2nd world war! Unbelievable to talk about worldwide or to think the uk is the world! 

Marijuana ?

Is France or Germany in Europe ? I only ask as the same alcohol bans (worse in France) are in those countries due to Covid. Oh hang on Portugal too, then there's Greece and oh look Spain (£13.5k fine for drinking outside there) - you know where Europe is right ?

Edited by Benroon

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

There is no reason to celebrate anyone’s failure.

Celebrating the failure of the incompetent government is something we can all get behind.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Marijuana ?

Is France or Germany in Europe ? I only ask as the same alcohol bans (worse in France) are in those countries due to Covid. Oh hang on Portugal too, then there's Greece and oh look Spain (£13.5k fine for drinking outside there) - you know where Europe is right ?

They had a lockdown and didn't allowed crowds the same reason why they locked cinemas, shops etc. Don't mix the lockdown with alcohol ban! 

• Like 1

Just now, Stardust said:

They had a lockdown and didn't allowed crowds the same reason why they locked cinemas, shops etc. Don't mix the lockdown with alcohol ban! 

When they opened the restaurants there were nowhere a alcohol ban! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

No alcohol ban! No crowds were allowed or parties! No cinemas,restaurants, etc were open. 

9 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I have seen many supporting the ban on alcohol.  Perhaps I just frequent a different class of place than others.  I am 72 and have traveled throughout the world dining at restaurants and pubs.  Not once have I ever had someone drunk to the point that they were in someone's face or intruding on other tables.  

Even assuming that it did occur isn't that the job of the establishment to evict people dining or drinking that are not maintaining proper social distancing.  

I was at a restaurant about two weeks ago and I noticed that several tables had bottles of Heineken on them.  I inquired of the server and she informed me that it was not Non-Alcoholic Heineken.  Now try and convince me that it was any less dangerous for these people to be removing their masks to consume their beer that was non-alcoholic than if they were drinking the same beer but the alcohol version. 

It seems as though the government has a personal dislike in alcohol consumption and is using the pandemic as an excuse to limit it.  I find it far more likely that I would catch Covid while riding on a BTS train, standing in the meat section crowded with people, or standing in the checkout line 20 deep than I would sitting next to someone drinking a beer or glass of wine.  This is particularly true if like many restaurants here in Thailand they were open air. 

-The real intention here is to close loopholes that bars may try to exploit. We've already seen in other Thai cities, when the alcohol was banned at the bars, the bars began selling peanuts, so they could claim to be a restaurant.

- Drunk people tend to talk louder, talk closer, and act foolish

-" Perhaps I just frequent a different class of place than others." 
Who are you trying to fool? The girly beer bar you frequent is in no way higher-class than any of the others. 

-"I am 72 and have traveled throughout the world dining at restaurants and pubs. Not once have I ever had someone drunk to the point that they were in someone's face or intruding on other tables. ".   
This is just a pure and blatant fantasy. I see it all the time...even in Thailand. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, S2k said:

This is just a pure and blatant fantasy. I see it all the time...even in Thailand. 

As said, perhaps I frequent a different class of place than others 

2 hours ago, BookShe said:

The government says and does many illogical decisions, and the locals interpret the way it suits them best. It's impossible to get a policeman to each bar and restaurant to enforce the law, and even if it would be possible there's a fee for them to look the other way or "angle"

Well as stated, it would seem that if their license is for a bar, and bars are a problem you close the bars.  The fact that the bar sells peanuts and sandwiches does not make it a restaurant.  I don't know if there are different licenses here in Thailand for bars vs. restaurants.  In the USA there are.  In order for an establishment to be considered a restaurant at least 51% of its revenue must come from food not alcohol.  

With the restaurants, they have kicked out unruly patrons for decades and no suddenly they can't control the people who dine in their restaurant.  Hogwash.  And when you go to a restaurant like cabbages and condoms, the sky gallery, or the glass house etc and you are sitting outside, banning alcohol sales is just punitive because of the dislike for alcohol and serves no purpose to reduce covid. 

• Like 2