Thailand’s foreign tourist numbers expected to plummet during 2021

Thaiger

I am a bit in disbelieve how adults can be so ignorant, self absorbed and disconnected with reality. Here is my perspective.

We are in a global pandemic! Any travel out of our home country is a bonus. If we travel, anything is possible! You can live with that, go and travel. A ban on alcohol is only a minor problem. We met a Russian woman in Doha that was stuck in Vietnam for 1 1/2 years, now that's a problem.

Quit whining like little children, make the best out of the situation and hopefully we can move on soon.

A questionable 14,055 tourists since July 1st.

In just over 4 weeks that's where we're at. This was before all the additional restrictions. The extremely imaginative figures from the TAT, are just that, and pure fiction. They believe that tourists are foaming at the mouth at the thought of coming to Phuket. Truth is, as the numbers show, they are not.

The TAT  and the government,  should be concentrating on making the Sandbox as safe as it can be, and it's not. Factor in all the restrictions for entry (C.O.E, $100,000 INS, etc.etc.) Then it is just not an appealing proposition.

What are they doing to attract tourists, what are they offering, how are they selling the idea of a holiday to Phuket? Where are the meaningful incentives?

Seems to me, that they believe what they have to offer, does not need to be sold. We should all be grateful that they are prepared to allow us to spend our money in their country. They are living in the past, the Pandemic has moved the goal posts. This will not go away, and I think it's going  to be a rough old ride that I believe will take three to five years to rebuild, if indeed it does rebuild. One thing is for sure, the good days are finished at least in the short to medium term. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pongo said:

Will there be any admission by anyone that the Phuket Sandbox has been a failure, or will it be heralded as a success?.

If not, will the Samui and Chonburi etc sandbox still go ahead?.

It's a shame, because if nothing else it did offer hope to those in the related industries that things might begin to improve, and a lot of hopes were pinned on the Phuket example to run smoothly and perhaps open the doors for other areas.

Just goes to show that you can't trust the numbers.

No country in the word can return to normality until it’s population is vaccinated. That’s when you insist foreign arrivals are fully vaccinated also. Not the other way around. 

• Like 2

Hi, listen everyone, what works is that there isn't a workable or safety net system placed for Thais nor foreigners within Thailand. One can say all the thing that needs to Heard but in reality in Thailand it's not practiced the norms of the west nor normal  prevention methods. Its all about financial gain and outcome first, then safety. Its been like this here since the 70's. Thailand can and could make it self safe for all and being back the so needed hard currency income this economy depends on. Its by placing a strict mandate for all to get 1. vaccinated , 2. Get proper vaccine for mass population without the political involvement in the health and financial sector and 3rd lastly do the same for arriving guest to Thailand. Thailand can and could be a model country in Asia to bring it's economy back  safely only if real genuine safety net is unforced within this short period. BUT WILL IT? This is just my thought and self openion.

5 hours ago, Stardust said:

Like the sun could be go down this evening.

Breaking News- Water continues to be Wet- Film at 11.

I contemplated a trip to TH in November this year but decided to abandon this plan due to the uncertainties. I am fully vaccinated, yet just getting a PCR-test before entering the plane will cost me approx 4500-5000 THB. In addition, more tests to be taken (and paid for by me) during that 2 week stay in the SHA-hotel. And the probability to be summoned to quarantine for 14 days if someone in the plane sitting in my proximity is tested positive, even if I am negative, without any way to shortcut that period by providing negative test results.

All in all, as a seasoned traveller who has been to TH many times, this sandbox pilot is not inspiring me to travel to TH. Will make a tour to Italy instead this year. Will miss out on the lovely Thai food and massages, but that's how it is.

PS. It seems that the tourists are not the main infection drivers, yet they are treated aa if they were. This is not how to attract tourists.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, Soidog said:

No country in the word can return to normality until it’s population is vaccinated. That’s when you insist foreign arrivals are fully vaccinated also. Not the other way around. 

Agree , and Thailand is a very long way from anything resembling that.

Just wondered what the "official" line on this will be. No one going to be losing face if they can help it.

• Like 1