What is so important about the Sandbox? 

Thaiger

OPINION by Bill Barnett from c9hotelworks.com Being on the ground in Phuket over the past sixteen months of the pandemic I have experienced the up’s and downs of pandemic tourism firsthand. Over the past month with the Sandbox program coming into place, we have seen over 13,000 travellers arrive at the Phuket International Airport.  “What is so important about the Phuket Sandbox” goes deeper than its perception of as tourism play and the reality of who the travellers are.  In the past weeks I have seen the joy of families reunited, partners joined again, residents returning and businesspeople again restarting […]

The post What is so important about the Sandbox?  appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Exactly the type of article I would expect from Bill “sunshine pumper” Barnett. It’s 300,000 room “nights”, huge difference. You can polish this up all you want, but the lack of a green designation isn’t wants keeping tourist numbers low. It’s all the restrictions, requirements and risk. The risk comes from the chance of someone sitting near you testing positive and having your vacation ruined. It comes from the chance of showing up and walking into a full blown lockdown. Fact is there are way too many other places where it’s easier to go. Until Phuket figures out how to get rid of the extra cost, overly bureaucratic restrictions and requirements, and the tests beyond the pre flight, they are just dreaming. 

• Like 10

You are only talking about the sunny side of Sandbox. As 50% of all arrivals came to Phuket to avoid The Hotel Quarantine and to continue their trip to other places in Thailand, it seems they are now badly let down because of the restrictions all over Thailand. They are now stuck in Phuket instead of seeing their spouses, relatives or friends. The only option they have is either to stay and pay for extended Hotel cost or to fly back home again. This after it was promised to go anywhere after 14 days. That’s the bad side of Sandbox and such tourists won’t come anymore till Thailand reopens. And it’s no fair as promises are not kept!!

• Like 11

I couldn't care less about the Phuket sandbox, because it has almost zero effect on the local economy. Some selected hotels can generate income, expats and family members can get back to Thailand (easier), but calling this a HISTORIC, GLOBAL is hyperbolical. Bill can gloss this program and call it a game-changer, but let's face it. It's just a desperate distress call, without any real effect on Thailand as a whole. 

This is a quote from the original article:

"Phuket has the potential to lead the global tourism recovery, as the historic Phuket Sandbox initiative sets the standard for other destinations to follow, he said. "

LoL, 555, :) Typical marketing Bullsheet.

Edited by BookShe
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Still had 15,000+ customers. Not bad for 'bullsheet.'

Yes indeed. And it might be 30,000 by the end of the month. Or 50,000.

but, calling it "lead the global tourism recovery, as the historic Phuket Sandbox" is bullsheet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobo said:

You are only talking about the sunny side of Sandbox. As 50% of all arrivals came to Phuket to avoid The Hotel Quarantine and to continue their trip to other places in Thailand, it seems they are now badly let down because of the restrictions all over Thailand. They are now stuck in Phuket instead of seeing their spouses, relatives or friends. The only option they have is either to stay and pay for extended Hotel cost or to fly back home again. This after it was promised to go anywhere after 14 days. That’s the bad side of Sandbox and such tourists won’t come anymore till Thailand reopens. And it’s no fair as promises are not kept!!

''They are now stuck in Phuket instead of seeing their spouses, relatives or friends.''

We're getting conflicting reports on that 555

But even if we know people are free to leave  today,

for anyone like me, on the edge of booking for the Sandbox

it would be barely reassuring...we've got to guess at what the situation will be 3, 4 weeks from now,

and bet a few thousand dollars on it.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bobo said:

You are only talking about the sunny side of Sandbox

Bill’s mantra 

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side
Keep on the sunny side of life
It will help us ev'ry day, it will brighten all the way
If we'll keep on the sunny side of life

Though I believe this is not the time of year in Phuket for the Sunny Side. More like ….

Long as I remember the rain been comin' down
Clouds of mystery pourin' confusion on the ground
Good men through the ages tryin' to find the sun
And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain?

7 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Yes indeed. And it might be 30,000 by the end of the month. Or 50,000.

but, calling it "lead the global tourism recovery, as the historic Phuket Sandbox" is bullsheet.

Well, in your parlance, maybe.

3 minutes ago, KWOG said:

''They are now stuck in Phuket instead of seeing their spouses, relatives or friends.''

it would be barely reassuring...we've got to guess at what the situation will be 3, 4 weeks from now,

If you can bear the ever-changing regulations and changes you should go ahead and book it. It's a nice place after all. If you are on a tight budget or timeframe, avoid it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KWOG said:

If you know how to leave Phuket today to any place in Thailand, please publish. Hundreds would thank you!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Still had 15,000+ customers. Not bad for 'bullsheet.'

15K over a month plus in Phuket is a drop in the bucket, nothing more. The original projection was 3,000 per day, only to get lowered to 1,500 per day a week prior to opening and again down to 1,100 per day of opening. For the month of July the average was about 450 per day, and it’s currently dropping. Let’s not forget about 4K of those 15K traveled on to other parts of Thailand once their 14 days were up. Meaning most of them were Thai nationals or returning expats putting in the minimum to get home. Another 4K were tourists who went back home at the end of the 14 days (some didn’t even stay that long). Most of the balance is people who are still within their 14 day requirement. Perspective 

• Like 5

Just now, Bobo said:

If you know how to leave Phuket today to any place in Thailand, please publish. Hundreds would thank you!

There is a 500 meter long waterway from the Island to the mainland. Longtail boat "fishermans" are looking for business too.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect anything different from Mr. Barnett, this is what he does and he is working hard to preserve his business and industry.

In light of the building of a 2nd field hospital, the increasing limitations being placed on the island, the recent stoppage of alcohol - even in restaurants - and the move by the Thai government to move Phuket into their "orange" category it is unreasonable for the tourism associations to be peddling that Phuket should be listed as a "green" zone for UK travelers.

The promise of being able to travel anywhere in the country after 14 days of sandboxing is now, effectively, a lie.  There are no flights going anywhere except back to BKK, and there are no flights there going anywhere domestically.  Public transportation has been shut down, so the only way to go anywhere is by expensive private car hire, and even then, you must have a new piece of paper to show at possible checkpoints, along with being tracked by the government on your phone.

The Sandbox is a failure, because the Thai and Phuket governments are incompetent in their attempts to make a region safe and secure.  

As a majority of the Phuket population was given Sinovac as their vaccination, it will be completely worthless in just a few months and the pandemic will sweep over the island again.

The Sandbox failed.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

15K over a month plus in Phuket is a drop in the bucket, nothing more. The original projection was 3,000 per day, only to get lowered to 1,500 per day a week prior to opening and again down to 1,100 per day of opening. For the month of July the average was about 450 per day, and it’s currently dropping. Let’s not forget about 4K of those 15K traveled on to other parts of Thailand once their 14 days were up. Meaning most of them were Thai nationals or returning expats putting in the minimum to get home. Another 4K were tourists who went back home at the end of the 14 days (some didn’t even stay that long). Most of the balance is people who are still within their 14 day requirement. Perspective 

I don't think poolie will understand this. Trolls can't read complex sentences. 

• Haha 2

There is alot of face saving going on here. Considering what the initial projections were, the sandbox scheme has been a massive failure. And it is likely at least 50% or more of the "Sandbox tourists" are returning ex-pats. Good on them for not having to endure a 14 day prison sentence in a Bangkok hotel. But, let us get real. This is a near zero, and the Sandbox scheme in Samui is doing even worse, making it harder to travel back and forth between the islands, and all of this was so unnecessary.

With Covid cases ticking up here, the incoming international tourists are the ones taking the risk now, by coming here, so reward them. There is no need for any restrictions at all. The traveling Thais are the huge risk now. Man up, and face the truth.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

As a majority of the Phuket population was given Sinovac as their vaccination, it will be completely worthless in just a few months and the pandemic will sweep over the island again.

As someone who lives in Phuket, this is a real concern to me and many people I know, Thai's included. We're simply not protected by Sinovac enough to have confidence in this project.

The premise is Phuket is vaccinated and safe, but really it's not. The hospitals here don't want to test anyone unless you're clearly in distress. How many cases are really here?

It just seems it's all smoke, mirrors and marketing. Mr Barnett has started to become annoying as a spin doctor for big hotel business. They are the winners here by becoming the greatest ASQ show on earth.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

There is alot of face saving going on here. Considering what the initial projections were, the sandbox scheme has been a massive failure. And it is likely at least 50% or more of the "Sandbox tourists" are returning ex-pats. Good on them for not having to endure a 14 day prison sentence in a Bangkok hotel. But, let us get real. This is a near zero, and the Sandbox scheme in Samui is doing even worse, making it harder to travel back and forth between the islands, and all of this was so unnecessary.

With Covid cases ticking up here, the incoming international tourists are the ones taking the risk now, by coming here, so reward them. There is no need for any restrictions at all. The traveling Thais are the huge risk now. Man up, and face the truth.

You do understand that this is an experiment, a trial, don't you?

It is not about financial success it is simply a stepping stone to seeing how to open up the country on a broader scale.

That there are Covid cases is irrelevant; irrelevant in the context that vaccinated people should be able to live with Covid without the risk of hospitalisation or death - see UK and Europe. It is pesky domestic tourist, and local, cases that are the spanner in the works.

This could have worked perfectly pre-Delta variant but now it is more of a challenge to spin the successes.

Whatever.............. a necessary first step towards some level of normality. I agree that many travelers will be longer stayers and the REAL tourists (unless really desperate for a quiet htel/beach based holiday) will not return until more amenities are open.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bobo said:

I don't...trying to find out myself, but knowing that whatever the conditions are there now, 

that means almost nothing to someone like me who'd be looking to enter Phuket

in two weeks and leave it a month from now.  I'm waffling between booking for Phuket and 

booking for BKK and two weeks in quarantine in Pattaya, which is where i always stay,

where my people are, where my pad is, where my golf clubs are etc.  

I've been going to Thailand for 30 odd years, never been to Phuket, never particularly wanted to. 

It has even less appeal now obviously.  Pattaya will be dead as well but I'm not going for bars or beaches. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

You do understand that this is an experiment, a trial, don't you?

It is not about financial success it is simply a stepping stone to seeing how to open up the country on a broader scale.

That there are Covid cases is irrelevant; irrelevant in the context that vaccinated people should be able to live with Covid without the risk of hospitalisation or death - see UK and Europe. It is pesky domestic tourist, and local, cases that are the spanner in the works.

This could have worked perfectly pre-Delta variant but now it is more of a challenge to spin the successes.

Whatever.............. a necessary first step towards some level of normality. I agree that many travelers will be longer stayers and the REAL tourists (unless really desperate for a quiet htel/beach based holiday) will not return until more amenities are open.

If it's an experiment, then say it and make clear and stable guidelines so people can count on it. IMHO the country should be opened in full to Vacced people since they pose less risk to locals than the other way around. 

This quote from the original article doesn't sound like an experiment.:

"Phuket has the potential to lead the global tourism recovery, as the historic Phuket Sandbox initiative sets the standard for other destinations to follow, he said. "

• Like 3

But once again there is an Elephant in the room.

There was an official statement made last week outlining all the travel restrictions to and from Phuket, all very good except one small statement, "At the discretion of the officer processing the traveller"

We all know how that will go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Being on the ground in Phuket over the past sixteen months of the pandemic ....

He doesn't appear to have been - he seems to be on another planet ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BookShe said:

I couldn't care less about the Phuket sandbox, because it has almost zero effect on the local economy. Some selected hotels can generate income, expats and family members can get back to Thailand (easier), but calling this a HISTORIC, GLOBAL is hyperbolical. Bill can gloss this program and call it a game-changer, but let's face it. It's just a desperate distress call, without any real effect on Thailand as a whole. 

This is a quote from the original article:

LoL, 555, :) Typical marketing Bullsheet.

But you have to admit, Bill Barnett would make an excellent political spin doctor.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Regarding your last sentence, that really is asking too much 555

• Haha 2