Phang Nga reopening and “Phuket Sandbox” island hop extensions postponed

Thaiger

The Phang Nga’s reopening to travellers from overseas has been postponed until August 15, and the “7+7 Island Hopping” extension to the “Phuket Sandbox,” which includes a sealed route to Phang Nga, has been postponed indefinitely. The province’s reopening to foreign tourists under the “Phang Nga Prompt” campaign was initially set for August 1, but the scheme has not yet been approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. The move comes with the tightening of disease control measures both locally and nationwide. Both Phuket and Phang Nga, are closing borders to the general public, with the exception of emergency […]

The post Phang Nga reopening and “Phuket Sandbox” island hop extensions postponed appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

50 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

the “7+7 Island Hopping” extension to the “Phuket Sandbox,” which includes a sealed route to Phang Nga, has been postponed indefinitely

Any frogs who'd booked into sandbox are gonna be hopping mad about this .. Phuket is sounding more like Hotel California by the day .. you can check in any time you want but you can never leave ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

So here we are sitting in our SHA+ approved hotel in the Phuket Sandbox but on the back of the new travel restrictions I’ve yet to see anything on how we might get back to our ‘home’ provinces when the 14 days are done. Any thoughts, ideas or information anyone? 

1 hour ago, Chairman said:

I’ve yet to see anything on how we might get back to our ‘home’ provinces when the 14 days are done. Any thoughts, ideas or information anyone? 

Considering the government has restricted all travel into and out of Phuket for the foreseeable future it doesn't look good. As far as I can figure out, you have two options. First you can wait for the government to lift the travel lockdown out of Phuket. Could take months who knows. Second you could leave Phuket and travel out of the country (which is still allowed), reapply to the ASQ scheme and reenter Thailand with a 14 day lockdown quarantine in say BKK. Of course getting out of that new province might be an issue too, but it's got to be easier than getting off an island. 

4 hours ago, Chairman said:

So here we are sitting in our SHA+ approved hotel in the Phuket Sandbox but on the back of the new travel restrictions I’ve yet to see anything on how we might get back to our ‘home’ provinces when the 14 days are done. Any thoughts, ideas or information anyone? 

Apart from driving, then I think it’s going to be hard. I’ll have to put you down as another “not a real international tourist”. 

in all seriousness, I think you may well be stuck in paradise until things ease up. There are worse places to be marooned though for sure. Enjoy your time in Phuket. 

Edited by Soidog

6 hours ago, Chairman said:

I have learned to trust my gut feeling in LOS...and I got this feeling when it went from 7 to 14 days and I bailed on coming.....as my sense was we are all basically on a rock..what happens if we get stuck there..

Suppose one could try and find a jet ski guy and head towards a safe harbor..so long suckers!..vroom!!!

I always look at a situation as "motives and agendas"...it seems the thais are making money from you

As you are kinda stuck.....is this good or bad for the thais or for you?....as the old saying , money #1 for thais

What would be their motivation to address this as in my eyes they seem to be benefiting, you stay and pay

7 hours ago, Chairman said:

I wish you best of luck, but it sounds like you might be stuck in Phuket for a good while yet. The sandbox always had a feel of "come into my parlour said the spider to the fly" about it. 

I suppose if all else fails, and you're desperate to leave to your home province you could set off in a car with a supply of brown envelopes. An envelope seems to smooth the way very often. I'm sure you'd find yourself at home very quickly. 

But joking aside, i suggest waiting in Phuket till you can get a flight might be your best option. Travelling by road you may have to cross a number of provinces and checkpoints and might find yourself being quarantined in the middle of nowhere - the rules are changing on a daily basis.

• Like 1

Echoing the thoughts of others.... "come into my parlor....", "basically on a rock..." "Hotel California...."

Am planning in October to make a fish-or-cut-bait travel decision to visit other Thai islands in December, and hope that certainty, simplicity and of course safety will all be clearer by then.

Belize and Costa Rica, however, are looking like more realistic destinations with each passing week.

• Like 1

Anybody surprised or shocked? No, I didn't think so, It's just the start of grim times to come. Good luck Thailand, you'll need it.

• Like 1