Monday Covid Update: 17,970 new cases and 178 deaths

Thaiger

17,970 new Covid-19 cases and 178 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. In the latest and most severe wave of infections, first recorded on April 1, the CCSA has reported 604,421 confirmed Covid-19 infections. There are now 208,875 active Covid-19 cases in Thailand. Over the past several days, the daily Covid-19 case count has been in the 17,000s and 18,000s. Deaths hit a record high last Saturday with 178 fatalities. Out of the new cases, 175 were reported in correctional facilities. The latest wave of the virus spread to Thailand’s overcrowded prisons, infecting more […]

The post Monday Covid Update: 17,970 new cases and 178 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And all of this could have been so easily avoided. My Thai family and all of their Thai friends are just fully overly disgusted with this Junta government and seriously want them out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

And all of this could have been so easily avoided. My Thai family and all of their Thai friends are just fully overly disgusted with this Junta government and seriously want them out.

I doubt it could have been easily avoided, if so it would have been done. 

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment, but there is no way this delta wave could have been avoided completely. The best that could have happened is that like in Australia it has been slow to spread - 100s each day not 10s of thousands. Absolutely they could have done a better job. Firstly they did not crack down hard enough on people who broke the rules - I dont think they should have shot anyone - but military detention without trial would have worked much better.  Secondly they should never have eased the travel rules for Songran - that was a huge mistake. Many other mistakes too but there are too many to list (illegal workers etc.).  But no one could have stopped it completely.  

• Like 3

So nearly 18,000, tomorrow or wed will maybe see an increase again looking at it's past record. I have been living in isolation in my house as my Thai family go outside for everyday things and they all decided it was to risky for me, so they bring food, wash my clothes ect,ect but keep away from me, my wife does not want me to get covid.  [ bless her] ,very boring but thats how it is now, thanks to the terrible handling of this pandemic in Thailand

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I agree with the sentiment, but there is no way this delta wave could have been avoided completely. The best that could have happened is that like in Australia it has been slow to spread - 100s each day not 10s of thousands. Absolutely they could have done a better job. Firstly they did not crack down hard enough on people who broke the rules - I dont think they should have shot anyone - but military detention without trial would have worked much better.  Secondly they should never have eased the travel rules for Songran - that was a huge mistake. Many other mistakes too but there are too many to list (illegal workers etc.).  But no one could have stopped it completely.  

Yes it is only a figure of speech and should not be taken serious as a complete 100%. That would be foolish to think that. but even as you stated they stupidly dropped the ball. If they were not so stubbornly fixated on Sinovac and AZ and did rise to the occasion not road blocking Moderna and Pfizer early early on, then it may be reasonably enough to consider that the majority here would be vaccinated and pretty well protected from great sickness of any new infection. Songkran was a big boo boo, but do you know what ever hap0pened to some big wig or high connected spreader ignoring the rules back not so so long ago? As far as I can see nothing as went silent. For me I am not so worried about being unvaccinated as as said before, even after talking to my doctor that we believe I had the virus first week of Feb 2020 for about 2 weeks and then all got better. But I can tell you is that my wife is seriously getting worried now. I just tell her don't worry because it is scared of you and your hot B blood and temper.

India is using more and more Ivermectin apparently with great results. Drastic drops in number of patients, 80-90 percents.

About vaccine effectiveness, situation in England. Very surprising data!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/investigation-of-novel-sars-cov-2-variant-variant-of-concern-20201201

With the delta variant 1476 vaccinated hospitalized and 2152 unvaccinated between Feb 1st to July 19th. 289 vaccinated died while 165 unvaccinated! Page 19. Total cases found during the same period: original alpha 150K, delta 230K.

The good news is that the mortality rate is maybe 10-20 percent of that of alpha. Only less than 50 died under 50 years old and 415 over 50.

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

We should not listen to people from that convict island/continent. Aussies are handling this like panicked karens. Maybe it is in their genes, they like being imprisoned! ?

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

India is using more and more Ivermectin apparently with great results. Drastic drops in number of patients, 80-90 percents.

80 - 90% drop in patient numbers in India?

Absurdly untrue.

24 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

About vaccine effectiveness, situation in England. Very surprising data!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/investigation-of-novel-sars-cov-2-variant-variant-of-concern-20201201

With the delta variant 1476 vaccinated hospitalized and 2152 unvaccinated between Feb 1st to July 19th. 289 vaccinated died while 165 unvaccinated! Page 19. Total cases found during the same period: original alpha 150K, delta 230K.

Not surprising at all if you do more than just compare broad brush vaccinated vs unvaccinated.

The vast majority of the vaccinated hospitalised and dying are the most vulnerable - those over 75 or 80 and those with serious health issues.

The vast majority of the unvaccinated are under 50 and healthy.

The estimates are that without vaccinations the numbers hospitalised and dying would be around ten times higher, and that a vaccinated 80 year old has as much chance of being hospitalised and dying as a healthy 50 year old.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

80 - 90% drop in patient numbers in India?

Absurdly untrue.

Not surprising at all if you do more than just compare broad brush vaccinated vs unvaccinated.

The vast majority of the vaccinated hospitalised and dying are the most vulnerable - those over 75 or 80 and those with serious health issues.

The vast majority of the unvaccinated are under 50 and healthy.

About India: Yes, the provinces and cities using Ivermectin are experiencing drastic drops.

About England:

Over 50: 912 vaccinated hospitalized vs 440 unvaccinated.

Under 50: 564 vs 1712.

But the 90 percent of fatalities occurred in the age group over 50.

About India: In May there were over 400 000 cases per day. Then it suddenly plummeted by 90 percent to 40 000 cases per day.  After the start of widespread use of Ivermectin.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Yes it is only a figure of speech and should not be taken serious as a complete 100%. That would be foolish to think that. but even as you stated they stupidly dropped the ball. If they were not so stubbornly fixated on Sinovac and AZ and did rise to the occasion not road blocking Moderna and Pfizer early early on, then it may be reasonably enough to consider that the majority here would be vaccinated and pretty well protected from great sickness of any new infection. Songkran was a big boo boo, but do you know what ever hap0pened to some big wig or high connected spreader ignoring the rules back not so so long ago? As far as I can see nothing as went silent. For me I am not so worried about being unvaccinated as as said before, even after talking to my doctor that we believe I had the virus first week of Feb 2020 for about 2 weeks and then all got better. But I can tell you is that my wife is seriously getting worried now. I just tell her don't worry because it is scared of you and your hot B blood and temper.

Yep - all true mate.  And they also spent far too long negotiating to be the manufacturer of AZ vaccines for SEAsia, rather than securing supplies from overseas. I wont go into the reasons why they did that (you know why), but after dropping the ball as you said, they have been desperately trying to catch up since April. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

We should not listen to people from that convict island/continent. Aussies are handling this like panicked karens. Maybe it is in their genes, they like being imprisoned! ?

Maybe true - but as an 'island prison' we have remained very much covid free for more than most countries. As far as I am aware, only Taiwan and Singapore have been as successful in keeping covid from becoming the disaster it has been in other countries, and as bad as it is now in Thailand and Malaysia and Indonesia etc etc. 

Just now, AussieBob said:

Yep - all true mate.  And they also spent far too long negotiating to be the manufacturer of AZ vaccines for SEAsia, rather than securing supplies from overseas. I wont go into the reasons why they did that (you know why), but after dropping the ball as you said, they have been desperately trying to catch up since April. 

Spot on.................and the Delta variant caught them out.

If the Thonglor hiso/Hua Hin/Bangkok market/Songkran clusters had just been the original 'Wuhan variant', they would have had it back under control by know.

Looking forward to seeing the curve flatten then that will indicate how many months (towards recovery) have been lost.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Maybe true - but as an 'island prison' we have remained very much covid free for more than most countries. As far as I am aware, only Taiwan and Singapore have been as successful in keeping covid from becoming the disaster it has been in other countries, and as bad as it is now in Thailand and Malaysia and Indonesia etc etc. 

I hadn't realised just how well Australia had done. I knew last year from a Thai lady living in Oz that life was pretty normal.

You have done remarkably better than my own home island nation that couldn't keep a bloody cold out.

These figures impressed me....

tn_as-flag.gif
 Australia

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

About India: In May there were over 400 000 cases per day. Then it suddenly plummeted by 90 percent to 40 000 cases per day.  After the start of widespread use of Ivermectin.

If you have time, have a read of this article. It seems reasonable in its efforts to assess the effect of Ivermectin on the case numbers in India. To me, I would have thought it would be hard to determine how many actually were taking the drug to make such a big claim.

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/no-data-available-to-suggest-a-link-between-indias-reduction-of-covid-19-cases-and-the-use-of-ivermectin-jim-hoft-gateway-pundit/

Do I know if it did or not? No. Like many I am keen to see the results of the clinical trials that so many articles are referring to. 

The only thing I feel confident about is that regardless of the outcome, someone will disagree with its findings! ?

On 8/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, AussieBob said:

But no one could have stopped it completely.  

I agree AussieBob. Unfortunately the Delta version has reset many expectations on all sides of the debate. Like some sci-fi movies, what really scares me is what the virus may next turn into. Will it grow legs and start walking around on its own?

Maybe we won't become the Planet of the Apes but the Planet of the Virus Beings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I think they are still stalling by back peddling with smoke and mirrors talking about other vaccines as bringing in only some amounts of them, but at the end of the day it looks to be still moving forward with Sinovac and AZ for the majority of all. The Pfizer was a gift from t he USA and from the reaction from the public we can all see what the real majority really wants if taking a vaccine. Will be interesting how this all unfolds. But one ting fore sure is that they will never be respected or loved in their lifetime, well, except only by the ones in their close circles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Spot on.................and the Delta variant caught them out.

If the Thonglor hiso/Hua Hin/Bangkok market/Songkran clusters had just been the original 'Wuhan variant', they would have had it back under control by know.

Looking forward to seeing the curve flatten then that will indicate how many months (towards recovery) have been lost.

Even if it does flatten maybe it is then a just wait until the next variant mutates and busts out from its host(s) world wide. Let's hope not but the cold season will soon be coming and this virus is definitely not contained and has a habit to change itself getting stronger and also not getting stronger. I hope doesn't become a real super super virus.. Not a fear mongering statement, just a how I see it.

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

He's a regular Jack Sprat with that comment.

• Like 1

Even if it does flatten maybe it is then a just wait until the next variant mutates and busts out from its host(s) world wide. Let's hope not but the cold season will soon be coming and this virus is definitely not contained and has a habit to change itself getting stronger and also not getting stronger. I hope doesn't become a real super super virus.. Not a fear mongering statement, just a how I see it.

I understand that concern..........................however, it seems a sufficient challenge dealing with what we have now, let alone subsequent mutations.

I guess that an annual booster jab would be quite likely....

1 minute ago, Chaimai said:

I understand that concern..........................however, it seems a sufficient challenge dealing with what we have now, let alone subsequent mutations.

I guess that an annual booster jab would be quite likely....

Absolutely. One thing for sure, I think those Chinese made jabs will never ever be considered as a booster unless forced on the general public that has no other choice. Can see it now, booster mix 50% S and 50% AZ all in one.

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Absolutely. One thing for sure, I think those Chinese made jabs will never ever be considered as a booster unless forced on the general public that has no other choice. Can see it now, booster mix 50% S and 50% AZ all in one.

Get your COVID cocktails...