Phuket sealed off from tomorrow in bid to curb virus spread, save sandbox

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

ASQ hotel booking in BKK or SHA+ hotel booking in Phuket I intend to do through booking.com. A number of these allow “free cancellation” with booking.com. If your plans change you will get your money back.

I should add (couldn’t edit original post), that with booking.com you don’t even need to pay until much closer to arrival. Often just 24 hours before or pay the hotel on arrival. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jam said:

You're incorrect.

I've had it confirmed from many sources including TAT and embassy that you can leave phuket after 3rd as long as you've completed the 14 days.

Can only return if you have an international flight.

So everything the rules say on that is wrong?

... and anyone can leave as long as they've been in Phuket for 14 days?

I see .....

On 8/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, Maverick said:

Half baked reporting - this measure , which should have been taken a month ago, will save lives not the “sandbox” whether travelers continue to come will depend on whether there is anything here to visit, which there won’t be if we don’t get population of island fully vaccinated and businesses open again.

Your comments raises an interesting couple of points:

Phuket was supposed to have been 70% vaccinated and has been stated as completed by authorities. I suspect they mean 70% of adults and a single shot? Either way, Phuket still has Covid and people are spreading it. This of course is natural and is expected from the vaccine. If they have had two shots of quality vaccine then they will feel crappy for a few days and be fine. The Thais need to stop looking at infection rates and look at hospitalisation and deaths on the island before closing the place down. 

This then leads to an issue with the wider claim made yesterday that they will vaccinate 70% of BKK and the other deep red provinces with at least one shot by the end of this month. They are saying this and strongly suggesting this will solve the problem with infections and life can start to return to normal. But they have done just this (and possibly more) on Phuket. And yet infections are rising and they are locking down further. They are over reacting.  

So which is it? If 70% hasn’t solved Phuket’s issue, then why will 70% of a single shot of Sinovac solve BKK and the other deep red provinces issues? 

• Like 2

It's obvious the Governor of Phuket is just a mouth piece and being told what to do from voices higher then him. Like all the other Government he needs to be replaced He has decimated the Island and his handling of the Pandemic has failed. Most of us know all the restrictions he is imposing will not prevent or slow down the infection rate until everyone is inoculated. He is either blind or is being forced into his Actions. He needs only to look how other country's have brought there spread down. Painful to hear it but Phuket needs to lock down completely with only medical and food deliveries allowed. Forget about the money that can be received from Tourism revenue  in large numbers. It not going to happen until tourist's numbers rise to the thousands pre pandemic and everything is open to make Tourists want to come. If you carry on with your restrictions instead of lancing the Boil, your local population will go further into poverty. You are most likely now to see no revival until at least next year at the earliest even with mass Vaccination. You don't even have enough vaccines to vaccinate the entire Island.

Edited by vlad

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m looking to do a similar thing and use the sandbox in early September and so started looking in to the very same issues. I’m flying from the U.K. and so things may be slightly different?  A few things I’m considering which may or may not be useful. 

Flights: I’m looking to book a flight with either Etihad or Qatar which fly from the U.K. via Abu Dhabi/Doha in to Phuket. Both airlines are offering full flex tickets at normal prices. I haven’t checked the small print, but it seems if you are unable to travel having booked, they will at least allow you to move the date (possibly cancel?) free of charge. I haven’t seen such a statement from other airlines? Near in mind also, that you will need to return to Phuket for your return flight  not so convenient as BKK of you will be in Pattaya  

ASQ hotel booking in BKK or SHA+ hotel booking in Phuket I intend to do through booking.com. A number of these allow “free cancellation” with booking.com. If your plans change you will get your money back. 

Health insurance is a more difficult one. However, in the U.K. all insurances come with a 14 day “cooling off” period. As you only need this for the CoE application then you can book insurance and then do your COE phase 2 closer to travel date. If things change I can cancel my insurance and get the money back. It’s also an option if you book an expensive insurance say 7 days before travel. Once you arrive in Thailand you can cancel the policy and fall back to a cheaper cover or none at all if you so wish. 

In regard to the VoA, I assume you are referring to the visa exemption on arrival? This is normally 30 days for U.K. citizens, but as you say has been extended to 45. I’ve never tried to extend either of these, though I think this will prove difficult? As you say, there are always ways around things if you have the money when it comes to Thai immigration. 

I’m looking to get a 60 day tourist visa which can be extended by 30 days. There are a number of issues I’m facing similar to you. The first is that you need to submit a confirmed flight booking. I want to stay around 85 days and would look to book flights for that period. However, I’m concerned submitting a return date beyond 60 days may result in my 60 day tourist visa application being bounced. I’ll therefore book a return within the 60 days and change the return leg when I’m out in Thailand. As you rightly say, you need to book the flight for the visa application, even though you don’t need to book a flight for the CoE until part 2 of the process but you need a visa for part 1 of the process! I tried explaining this catch 22 situation to the London embassy and lost the will to live !! 

Apologies for the long reply. I’ve attached a couple of screen shots showing the booking.com free cancellation and what Etihad say in relation to their flex tickets. Hope this all helps? 

DEC920EA-76EC-4291-9489-EE459C8465FA.jpeg

64ABF180-9BD2-4185-B6DF-3DD2CE864FB1.jpeg

Never apologize for a long post, least of all to me. 

I write long emails, texts even when I have little to say, and there looks to be 

a lot of info there.  For example, I had been planning, or at least considering, 

entry into Phuket (on Qatar, they seem to have the best prices) but leaving, 

hopefully 5 and a half months later from BKK. I hadn't before seen any rule that

Phuket sandbox entrants were required to leave Thailand from Phuket as well.

If true that may have saved me a few hundred dollar mistake...but are we sure about that ? 

I'm gonna look into all the other info you provided tomorrow and respond.  

I appreciate the help, insight, effort. These hoops are a bitch. 

I've been dreading this process and the covid tests  for months ,

at times more than I've been looking forward to the trip. 

God how i miss just buying a ticket and going.   

6 minutes ago, KWOG said:

If true that may have saved me a few hundred dollar mistake...but are we sure about that ? 

No I don’t believe it’s a “Rule”. Simply that at the moment it may not be possible to book your outbound leg to Phuket and your return leg via BKK? If you can, then I would think that’s fine and assuming flights from bkk are not cancelled then all should be ok. Often arriving at one place and departing from a different one is more expensive? Just another point on flights. I tend to always book direct with the airline. If you need to change dates or cancel, the airline and then agent will be very happy to put you in the middle and claim the other side are they reason you can’t get your money back. Stick with the airline only would be my advice. 

I agree about the Covid test. I’ve had one done here and it was uncomfortable rather than painful. As part of my work I need to do two Rapid Antigen tests each week (I do these myself).  Still unpleasant but not painful. A friend of mine who returned to BKK a few months ago had a PCR on arrival and he had a very bad headache for 3 days. The next two tests, he insisted on swabbing himself. It’s the part I’m least looking forward to !!  

4 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I see in Phuket has now banned alcohol being served in restaurants again

But all areas  Dark Red and Red have that rule anyway.

226278852_222213929813932_6860878102359104293_n.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Your comments raises an interesting couple of points:

Phuket was supposed to have been 70% vaccinated and has been stated as completed by authorities. I suspect they mean 70% of adults and a single shot? Either way, Phuket still has Covid and people are spreading it. This of course is natural and is expected from the vaccine. If they have had two shots of quality vaccine then they will feel crappy for a few days and be fine. The Thais need to stop looking at infection rates and look at hospitalisation and deaths on the island before closing the place down. 

This then leads to an issue with the wider claim made yesterday that they will vaccinate 70% of BKK and the other deep red provinces with at least one shot by the end of this month. They are saying this and strongly suggesting this will solve the problem with infections and life can start to return to normal. But they have done just this (and possibly more) on Phuket. And yet infections are rising and they are locking down further. They are over reacting.  

So which is it? If 70% hasn’t solved Phuket’s issue, then why will 70% of a single shot of Sinovac solve BKK and the other deep red provinces issues? 

The sad part in addition to what you wrote is that they are finding that the Sinovac vaccine that most get for their 1st dose is ineffective for the Delta variant.  So the government’s new scheme is a 2nd dose using AstraZenica in which the WHO did not recommend.  Some who have received both doses contracted covid and died  https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/pressure-mounts-for-effective-boosters-as-fully-vaccinated-nurse-dies-of-covid-19

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No I don’t believe it’s a “Rule”. Simply that at the moment it may not be possible to book your outbound leg to Phuket and your return leg via BKK? If you can, then I would think that’s fine and assuming flights from bkk are not cancelled then all should be ok. Often arriving at one place and departing from a different one is more expensive? Just another point on flights. I tend to always book direct with the airline. If you need to change dates or cancel, the airline and then agent will be very happy to put you in the middle and claim the other side are they reason you can’t get your money back. Stick with the airline only would be my advice. 

I agree about the Covid test. I’ve had one done here and it was uncomfortable rather than painful. As part of my work I need to do two Rapid Antigen tests each week (I do these myself).  Still unpleasant but not painful. A friend of mine who returned to BKK a few months ago had a PCR on arrival and he had a very bad headache for 3 days. The next two tests, he insisted on swabbing himself. It’s the part I’m least looking forward to !!  

Qatar was actually a little CHEAPER with a return departing from BKK believe it or not. 

That surprised me too. 

I always flew United, and like you always booked on their website,

paid with a United branded credit card. 

They really f***ed me last year though. 

My original return was July, airport basically closed, no flights in or out so they canceled my flight. 

No choice. They said my ticket would be good for a return when flights resume.  No change fee.

Obviously, right, since THEY canceled.  But once flights resumed, yeah, they didn't charge me 

a fee. they just jacked up their fare and i had to pay 750 dollars extra to fly home. 

Their dispute or complaint process is impenetrable, most had to be done by phone to 

an 800 number in the US, 18 baht a minute or whatever at 10 pm at an internet phone place,

and I'm making a mini-scene with very unThai behavior yelling into the phone.

That which could be done by text on their site, you get no access

to previous conversations, it's all wiped and you start at square one over and over

but it's all a waste of time, a joke on you, they know they're f***ing you

and they just don't care. I paid up. On my Chase/United card. 

I disputed the charge once i got home with Chase, and months later to my amazement 

they, Chase not United, refunded the 750. 

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Also, all last spring and summer, when no passenger flights were going in or out of Suvarnabhumi, 

United was offering flights 7 days a week on their website.  Flights that didn't exist.  

They're doing it now too I suspect.  I don't think they're landing 8 or 10 passenger jets a day in BKK.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I know i wasn't wrong last summer.  Totally bizarre.

Full menu of imaginary flights you could pay for.

Having said all that I'm gonna continue booking through an airline, just not them. 

I'd might have consulted a travel agent yesterday if it was 1999 and there was one at the mall

I could sit across the desk from someone at.  

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

I like that the guy was able to 'swab himself'. That's encouraging. 

Like if I HAD to have a needle run through my dick, I suppose I'd want to do it myself. 

4 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I would definitely cancel my holiday in Phuket so I imagine the figures to go down might as well go to Saudi Arabia, joking apart there are plenty of places around the world to go   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

So the government’s new scheme is a 2nd dose using AstraZenica in which the WHO did not recommend.  Some who have received both doses contracted covid and died  https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/pressure-mounts-for-effective-boosters-as-fully-vaccinated-nurse-dies-of-covid-19

That suggests the WHO have said that it's not recommended, which isn't correct as all they've done is defer making any decision on the grounds that there's insufficient data.

7 minutes ago, KWOG said:

Qatar was actually a little CHEAPER with a return departing from BKK believe it or not. 

Yes I just checked that and the same with Emirates. £575 return to Phuket from Manchester (English one!) and £565 if I return from BKK. Fully flex ticket also.  Perfect.  

• Like 1

The Phuket sandbox was a good idea and it will pay off.  Delta is spiking around the world and should start to drop in many places within a month.  There needs to be a place like Phuket for people to use to enter Thailand for whatever reasons they have, even while Delta is hitting hard.  The Sandboxers are vaccinated and PCR tested so its better than other options.

10 minutes ago, KWOG said:

That surprised me too. 

I always flew United, and like you always booked on their website,

paid with a United branded credit card. 

They really f***ed me last year though. 

My original return was July, airport basically closed, no flights in or out so they canceled my flight. 

No choice. They said my ticket would be good for a return when flights resume.  No change fee.

Obviously, right, since THEY canceled.  But once flights resumed, yeah, they didn't charge me 

a fee. they just jacked up their fare and i had to pay 750 dollars extra to fly home. 

Their dispute or complaint process is impenetrable, most had to be done by phone to 

an 800 number in the US, 18 baht a minute or whatever at 10 pm at an internet phone place,

and I'm making a mini-scene with very unThai behavior yelling into the phone.

That which could be done by text on their site, you get no access

to previous conversations, it's all wiped and you start at square one over and over

but it's all a waste of time, a joke on you, they know they're f***ing you

and they just don't care. I paid up. On my Chase/United card. 

I disputed the charge once i got home with Chase, and months later to my amazement 

they, Chase not United, refunded the 750. 

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Also, all last spring and summer, when no passenger flights were going in or out of Suvarnabhumi, 

United was offering flights 7 days a week on their website.  Flights that didn't exist.  

They're doing it now too I suspect.  I don't think they're landing 8 or 10 passenger jets a day in BKK.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I know i wasn't wrong last summer.  Totally bizarre.

Full menu of imaginary flights you could pay for.

Having said all that I'm gonna continue booking through an airline, just not them. 

I had a similar situation last year with American Airlines, with them canceling my return flight each month as no return flights out of BKK until I finally got one last July.  My original return flight was in March.  However I was lucky they didn’t charge me extra like your situation.  This year I returned to Thailand on Qatar Airways and completed my ASQ stay and had my 45 visa stamp changed to an “O” visa.  I contacted Qatar Airways and was able to move my return flight until the end of this year.  Just got an email yesterday that said I can adjust my return date up to May of next year with no change fee.  Only have to pay the difference depending on the cost of the return date which using their website I can pick the closest cost date from my original cost. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stonker said:

That suggests the WHO have said that it's not recommended, which isn't correct as all they've done is defer making any decision on the grounds that there's insufficient data.

I guess my comment was worded wrong and should have said WHO warning instead of not recommended.  https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/despite-warning-who-ok-with-thai-plan-of-mixing-vaccines.  There is a lot of insufficient data which is why those in the medical business cannot conclusively have the absolute fix and at times need change direction with data they receive (masks issue) and then confuse the regular people who get scared or argue with others.  Gives a more definition to Medical Practice” ?.  I know they are trying their best to do the right thing and I certainly would not want to be in their situation, as it is literally “life and death” for many folks if they don’t get it right.  Only time will tell.

14 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I had a similar situation last year with American Airlines, with them canceling my return flight each month as no return flights out of BKK until I finally got one last July.  My original return flight was in March.  However I was lucky they didn’t charge me extra like your situation.  This year I returned to Thailand on Qatar Airways and completed my ASQ stay and had my 45 visa stamp changed to an “O” visa.  I contacted Qatar Airways and was able to move my return flight until the end of this year.  Just got an email yesterday that said I can adjust my return date up to May of next year with no change fee.  Only have to pay the difference depending on the cost of the return date which using their website I can pick the closest cost date from my original cost. 

Ooh.  Bravo ! I like that you were able to get the O visa IN THAILAND rather than before you left.

That's what I did last year and hope to do this year...screw getting it in advance.

How did you do it, I assume at some visa shop ? It cost me almost 30,000 baht total last year

to do it that way,  I didn't really care.    

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’m looking to do a similar thing and use the sandbox in early September and so started looking in to the very same issues. I’m flying from the U.K. and so things may be slightly different?  A few things I’m considering which may or may not be useful. 

Flights: I’m looking to book a flight with either Etihad or Qatar which fly from the U.K. via Abu Dhabi/Doha in to Phuket. Both airlines are offering full flex tickets at normal prices. I haven’t checked the small print, but it seems if you are unable to travel having booked, they will at least allow you to move the date (possibly cancel?) free of charge. I haven’t seen such a statement from other airlines? Near in mind also, that you will need to return to Phuket for your return flight  not so convenient as BKK of you will be in Pattaya  

Health insurance is a more difficult one. However, in the U.K. all insurances come with a 14 day “cooling off” period. As you only need this for the CoE application then you can book insurance and then do your COE phase 2 closer to travel date. If things change I can cancel my insurance and get the money back. It’s also an option if you book an expensive insurance say 7 days before travel. Once you arrive in Thailand you can cancel the policy and fall back to a cheaper cover or none at all if you so wish. 

In regard to the VoA, I assume you are referring to the visa exemption on arrival? This is normally 30 days for U.K. citizens, but as you say has been extended to 45. I’ve never tried to extend either of these, though I think this will prove difficult? As you say, there are always ways around things if you have the money when it comes to Thai immigration. 

I’m looking to get a 60 day tourist visa which can be extended by 30 days. There are a number of issues I’m facing similar to you. The first is that you need to submit a confirmed flight booking. I want to stay around 85 days and would look to book flights for that period. However, I’m concerned submitting a return date beyond 60 days may result in my 60 day tourist visa application being bounced. I’ll therefore book a return within the 60 days and change the return leg when I’m out in Thailand. As you rightly say, you need to book the flight for the visa application, even though you don’t need to book a flight for the CoE until part 2 of the process but you need a visa for part 1 of the process! I tried explaining this catch 22 situation to the London embassy and lost the will to live !! 

Apologies for the long reply. I’ve attached a couple of screen shots showing the booking.com free cancellation and what Etihad say in relation to their flex tickets. Hope this all helps? 

DEC920EA-76EC-4291-9489-EE459C8465FA.jpeg

64ABF180-9BD2-4185-B6DF-3DD2CE864FB1.jpeg

A friend flew Emirates to Phuket and back last month (2 weeks). He flew Emirates because covid insurance was included in the ticket. He didn't need to buy another one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alavan said:

A friend flew Emirates to Phuket and back last month (2 weeks). He flew Emirates because covid insurance was included in the ticket. He didn't need to buy another one.

Thanks for that and wasn’t aware of this ??

6 hours ago, KWOG said:

Never apologize for a long post, least of all to me. 

I write long emails, texts even when I have little to say, and there looks to be 

a lot of info there.  For example, I had been planning, or at least considering, 

entry into Phuket (on Qatar, they seem to have the best prices) but leaving, 

hopefully 5 and a half months later from BKK. I hadn't before seen any rule that

I'm gonna look into all the other info you provided tomorrow and respond.  

I appreciate the help, insight, effort. These hoops are a bitch. 

I've been dreading this process and the covid tests  for months ,

at times more than I've been looking forward to the trip. 

God how i miss just buying a ticket and going.   

Why not just buy a one way ticket to Thailand and a "Dummy" onward ticket to Cambodia, Laos, etc., on low cost carrier???

30 Quid Tops!

Alcatraz Phuket but in alcatraz California bed and food was free hahaha. Now nobody can flee from Phuket and they can take the money. Wow this is almost like the jet ski trick ???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fonz said:

Why not just buy a one way ticket to Thailand and a "Dummy" onward ticket to Cambodia, Laos, etc., on low cost carrier???

30 Quid Tops!

Hadn't heard of that option, not sure I understand it even, will look into that as well. 

Things will seem easier, be easier when I get there. 

Before I got into Thailand  last year

I was worried about not being able to do enough visa runs to stay as long as I wanted

but once I was there I just handed some money over a desk ,  problem solved instantly. 

I personally can't believe there aren't hundreds of comments on the sandbox. Everyone I know in the sandbox returned to bring their kids to school and/or to work here. Making Phuket impossible to leave from except by renting a car and driving to your "home" here is a disaster. At least when I returned from the USA this past February, I could get a flight back home to Chiang Mai after my miserable ASQ in BKK. The thousands trying to leave Phuket and travel back to their home or work locations now only have the option to rent a car and drive. I can't go pick up my wife because if I leave Chiang Mai and return, I have to quarantine when I come back here even if I just drive down and drive back. The insanity of all this is maddening. 

• Like 1