Phuket sealed off from tomorrow in bid to curb virus spread, save sandbox

Thaiger

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Oh well, at least they still have the beach and sunshine. That's worth the 12-18 hour flight, thousands of extra dollars, and headaches from jumping through all the hoops isn't it? The portion of the scheme left to sell tourists is the ability to enter Phuket (only) without a full quarantine. I can't see even that lasting the month.  

It is utter nonsense now isn’t it. From the start, any rational person could see this was a silly idea. 

Thais obsess about loss of face. Maybe they need to also understand the notion of stop digging when you are in a hole. As a slightly more convenient way to return to Thailand for Thais, long term visitors and expats, then drop the association with tourism. It’s not tourism. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TiT said:

I didn't realize you couldn't even eat takeaway food at the beach, what a joke.

No neither did I? A post a few days ago said you can sit on the beach and “runners” will go get you food and beer and you can sit on the beach???

• Like 1

So, I am someone who has been planning on entering via the Phuket Sandbox, and then moving on to Pattaya, where I've spent several months a year for many years.   Just started getting serious about it today, pricing insurance, flights, hotels, etc. This is kind of crushing.  I'm not going if it means being stuck indefinitely in Phuket. 

So my only option is two week quarantine in Pattaya ? I'll go through with that if I can, even knowing the town is dead and ''deep red''.   But what would do any of you knowledgeable folk think are the prospects of a rug pull there, for someone planning to enter around August 20 ? My fear already, before learning of the demise of the sandbox, was paying 10,000 baht up front for insurance, 50,000 baht or whatever up front for 2 weeks in hotel and tests, 35,000 for a flight and then not being able to go, due to a change in policy or a failed covid test before departure or whatever.  I tried calling both Thai embassy in DC and consulate in NY for any general guidance...only was able to get a human on the line at DC, lady had no interest in taking questions, said I had to call NY consulate because I reside in NY, 555. 

Do all ASQ hotels require full payment for two weeks in advance, or merely a deposit ? If the former, do you suppose it's refundable ? I'm guessing not...what leverage would I have from 10,000 miles away. Anyone have any midprice recommendations in pattaya ? 

Also, I read on thai embassy website that visa on arrival is 45 days now, and can not be extended. Other places , even on their website, omit that info or seemingly contradicted it.  Obviously Cambo visa runs are out, but has anyone here extended the VOA at immigration, or tried to ? Last summer I got two 30 day extensions at immigration, and then purchased an O visa while in Thailand to extend my stay, since all flights out were shut down. The lady that did it for me says she can do it again, and all my years in Thailand tell me money and a connection can fix anything, but we're in the new age now.

I'd like to stay 5 and a half months. I'm not getting a long term visa in advance because if golf courses stay closed and i can only eat at 7-11, I might want to leave sooner.  And I don't want to wait 3 weeks for visa turnaround by mail, don't want to potentially piss away 10,000 on a longer covid insurance policy, and even applying for the e-visa, you get to the end of the application and they ask for your flight number...can't continue without it. Makes no sense to me, I'm supposed to book a flight BEFORE I get visa approved   ?  

Any knowledge, tips would be appreciated, especially but not limited to the areas in bold. 

I completed by third PCR test yesterday, and supposed to leave Phuket for Bangkok on 5th August, but received a notice that my flight was cancelled. It seems that there are no domestic flights or transport out of Phuket till 16th August (that's also a maybe). Now the Sandbox, seems like a trap for vaccinated tourists, who are indirectly forced to stay longer then the 14 nights in Phuket.

What is TAT doing to help those of us, who are trap here after our 14 nights stay?

TAT cannot expect more foreign support for Phuket Sandbox, if they don't assist us in situation like this.

Does Thailand really care about improving tourism? Then TAT need to do something to show that they care.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Stonker said:

No.

For once, the article and the sources are crystal clear - no travel in or out, by land, sea or air, except the very specific and limited exceptions.

Those who came in on the sandbox in the last two weeks hoping for a cheap and easy ASQ before going elsewhere are stuck in Phuket.

@Maverick and @JamesE, I think you need to re-read the article.

You're incorrect.

I've had it confirmed from many sources including TAT and embassy that you can leave phuket after 3rd as long as you've completed the 14 days.

Can only return if you have an international flight.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Roland said:

I completed by third PCR test yesterday, and supposed to leave Phuket for Bangkok on 5th August, but received a notice that my flight was cancelled. It seems that there are no domestic flights or transport out of Phuket till 16th August (that's also a maybe). Now the Sandbox, seems like a trap for vaccinated tourists, who are indirectly forced to stay longer then the 14 nights in Phuket.

What is TAT doing to help those of us, who are trap here after our 14 nights stay?

TAT cannot expect more foreign support for Phuket Sandbox, if they don't assist us in situation like this.

Does Thailand really care about improving tourism? Then TAT need to do something to show that they care.

Roland, please update us around the 5th once you have been allowed to leave (hired car/van ?)

or your indefinite confinement to the island is confirmed. I for one am sitting here hoping to get in 

around the 20th , got vaccinated last month for that reason alone, was on the verge of buying ticket, insurance etc.  for Phuket and now i don't know WTF to do. I reside in Pattaya so I'm not down for any more than 2 weeks in Phuket...I'd do two weeks in a coronahotel in Pattaya I guess but who knows, maybe they'll shut that option down too. That'd be great, calling insurance company, hotel, airline....Um, can I get a refund on the 120,000 baht I just shelled out ? Not bloody likely. 

Edited by KWOG
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jam said:

You're incorrect.

I've had it confirmed from many sources including TAT and embassy that you can leave phuket after 3rd as long as you've completed the 14 days.

Can only return if you have an international flight.

If you know, kindly advice what are the available flights to Bangkok or ChiangMai between 4th to 15th August? Would appreciate any real insights from people have information that can help.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:26 AM, TiT said:

The sand trap... how many suckers will be flying in going forward?

Just posted "Sand Trap" as a response to another post not two minutes ago, looks like I can't submit Trademark form as you beat me to it by a day!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KWOG said:

Roland, please update us around the 5th once you have been allowed to leave (hired car/van ?)

or your indefinite confinement to the island is confirmed. I for one am sitting here hoping to get in 

around the 20th , got vaccinated last month for that reason alone, was on the verge of buying ticket, insurance etc.  for Phuket and now i don't know WTF to do. I reside in Pattaya so I'm not down for any more than 2 weeks in Phuket...I'd do two weeks in a coronahotel in Pattaya I guess but who knows, maybe there'll be a rug pull for that too.  That'd be great, calling insurance company, hotel, airline....Um, can I get a refund on the 120,000 baht I just shelled out ? Not bloody likely. 

Still looking for ways to get out of Phuket. Will check out some local private van drivers. I heard from some other tourists who took the final PCR test with me that they are paying as much as Baht 9000 to 15000. This price is ok if you in a group of 4 to 6 but not for single traveller. Maybe those who wanted to travel to the same destination can form small group to make the transport cost more reasonable. It may be good to form a chat group to help people like us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Still looking for ways to get out of Phuket. Will check out some local private van drivers. I heard from some other tourists who took the final PCR test with me that they are paying as much as Baht 9000 to 15000. This price is ok if you in a group of 4 to 6 but not for single traveller. Maybe those who wanted to travel to the same destination can form small group to make the transport cost more reasonable. It may be good to form a chat group to help people like us.

Go to FB groups in Phuket everyday I see people asking if others want to share the ride, good luck

How many foreign tourists are expected to arrive during August? Sandbox is a good idea but should put on hold pending vaccination of entire nation. Thailand relies almost entirely on foreign airlines to bring in tourists  but there is a limite to losses they are prepared to make to back sandbox programme .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Go to FB groups in Phuket everyday I see people asking if others want to share the ride, good luck

Thanks for the information. Will check on FB groups in Phuket. 

Being vaccinated DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT GET COVID, some have discovered this fact already.

Preaching that vaccination is the great saviour of anything is FAKE NEWS.  Vaccination MAY save your life but you can still carry the virus and spread it to others.

Why would you want to leave Phuket (out of the frying pan into the fire), at least it has a modicum of control of the situation.  How long that will last is debatable. 

As EdwardV mentions it is a lot of flying time, money and red tape so I hope the tourists get their moneys worth. (think not) Expensive ray of sunshine without nightlife etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

Pretty steep but if it's a viable option and the only one.....

Good idea about trying to get a group together, hopefully there's enough

volume of people to find a few wanting to leave when you do. 

How are the PCR tests ? Never had one, dreading it. 

I've had facial fractures, bone grafts/failed bone grafts in sinuses, am worried

about some zealot rooting around for corona with a stick up there, 

poking a hole or otherwise f8cking me up. 

I'm gonna beg the nurse to be gentle, don't think it'll do any good. 

She's not there to serve or placate me. 

3 hours ago, Zool said:

I'm curious, is the virus less lethal when it's brought into Phuket by delivery drivers?

Yes, but only if before 9pm and after 5 am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, KWOG said:

So, I am someone who has been planning on entering via the Phuket Sandbox, and then moving on to Pattaya, where I've spent several months a year for many years.   Just started getting serious about it today, pricing insurance, flights, hotels, etc. This is kind of crushing.  I'm not going if it means being stuck indefinitely in Phuket. 

So my only option is two week quarantine in Pattaya ? I'll go through with that if I can, even knowing the town is dead and ''deep red''.   But what would do any of you knowledgeable folk think are the prospects of a rug pull there, for someone planning to enter around August 20 ? My fear already, before learning of the demise of the sandbox, was paying 10,000 baht up front for insurance, 50,000 baht or whatever up front for 2 weeks in hotel and tests, 35,000 for a flight and then not being able to go, due to a change in policy or a failed covid test before departure or whatever.  I tried calling both Thai embassy in DC and consulate in NY for any general guidance...only was able to get a human on the line at DC, lady had no interest in taking questions, said I had to call NY consulate because I reside in NY, 555. 

Do all ASQ hotels require full payment for two weeks in advance, or merely a deposit ? If the former, do you suppose it's refundable ? I'm guessing not...what leverage would I have from 10,000 miles away. Anyone have any midprice recommendations in pattaya ? 

Also, I read on thai embassy website that visa on arrival is 45 days now, and can not be extended. Other places , even on their website, omit that info or seemingly contradicted it.  Obviously Cambo visa runs are out, but has anyone here extended the VOA at immigration, or tried to ? Last summer I got two 30 day extensions at immigration, and then purchased an O visa while in Thailand to extend my stay, since all flights out were shut down. The lady that did it for me says she can do it again, and all my years in Thailand tell me money and a connection can fix anything, but we're in the new age now.

I'd like to stay 5 and a half months. I'm not getting a long term visa in advance because if golf courses stay closed and i can only eat at 7-11, I might want to leave sooner.  And I don't want to wait 3 weeks for visa turnaround by mail, don't want to potentially piss away 10,000 on a longer covid insurance policy, and even applying for the e-visa, you get to the end of the application and they ask for your flight number...can't continue without it. Makes no sense to me, I'm supposed to book a flight BEFORE I get visa approved   ?  

Any knowledge, tips would be appreciated, especially but not limited to the areas in bold. 

Have you been to this Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275821990252759

They have been very helpful to people getting through various hurdles to return to Thailand during covid19. Lots of helpful people there with experience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zool said:

Have you been to this Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275821990252759

They have been very helpful to people getting through various hurdles to return to Thailand during covid19. Lots of helpful people there with experience.

Just spoken with the driver who pick me from the airport on my arrival. He said that he can aarange to take me to the Phuket - Phang Nga checkpoint. Then after crossing the checkpoint another vehicle from Phang Nga can take me to Bangkok. The reason is that if he drive out of Phuket, he cannot get back into Phuket till 16th August. 

1 hour ago, KWOG said:

Pretty steep but if it's a viable option and the only one.....

Good idea about trying to get a group together, hopefully there's enough

volume of people to find a few wanting to leave when you do. 

How are the PCR tests ? Never had one, dreading it. 

I've had facial fractures, bone grafts/failed bone grafts in sinuses, am worried

about some zealot rooting around for corona with a stick up there, 

poking a hole or otherwise f8cking me up. 

I'm gonna beg the nurse to be gentle, don't think it'll do any good. 

She's not there to serve or placate me. 

During my 1st ASQ, they drilled into my brain and it was very uncomfortable. During my current one it is a lot less invasive, in just a couple centimeters and right out again, much better.

• Angry 1

23 minutes ago, Zool said:

During my 1st ASQ, they drilled into my brain and it was very uncomfortable. During my current one it is a lot less invasive, in just a couple centimeters and right out again, much better.

uh oh. Something like that first one might really mess me up. 

This test is one of the more trivial yet infuriating aspects of Coronamania. 

It's like they came up with it as a joke.   Or saw chimps doing it.     

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, Maverick said:

Half baked reporting - this measure , which should have been taken a month ago, will save lives not the “sandbox” whether travelers continue to come will depend on whether there is anything here to visit, which there won’t be if we don’t get population of island fully vaccinated and businesses open again.

You can't expect to fill a bucket that has a hole in it.

4 hours ago, KWOG said:

I’m looking to do a similar thing and use the sandbox in early September and so started looking in to the very same issues. I’m flying from the U.K. and so things may be slightly different?  A few things I’m considering which may or may not be useful. 

Flights: I’m looking to book a flight with either Etihad or Qatar which fly from the U.K. via Abu Dhabi/Doha in to Phuket. Both airlines are offering full flex tickets at normal prices. I haven’t checked the small print, but it seems if you are unable to travel having booked, they will at least allow you to move the date (possibly cancel?) free of charge. I haven’t seen such a statement from other airlines? Near in mind also, that you will need to return to Phuket for your return flight  not so convenient as BKK of you will be in Pattaya  

ASQ hotel booking in BKK or SHA+ hotel booking in Phuket I intend to do through booking.com. A number of these allow “free cancellation” with booking.com. If your plans change you will get your money back. 

Health insurance is a more difficult one. However, in the U.K. all insurances come with a 14 day “cooling off” period. As you only need this for the CoE application then you can book insurance and then do your COE phase 2 closer to travel date. If things change I can cancel my insurance and get the money back. It’s also an option if you book an expensive insurance say 7 days before travel. Once you arrive in Thailand you can cancel the policy and fall back to a cheaper cover or none at all if you so wish. 

In regard to the VoA, I assume you are referring to the visa exemption on arrival? This is normally 30 days for U.K. citizens, but as you say has been extended to 45. I’ve never tried to extend either of these, though I think this will prove difficult? As you say, there are always ways around things if you have the money when it comes to Thai immigration. 

I’m looking to get a 60 day tourist visa which can be extended by 30 days. There are a number of issues I’m facing similar to you. The first is that you need to submit a confirmed flight booking. I want to stay around 85 days and would look to book flights for that period. However, I’m concerned submitting a return date beyond 60 days may result in my 60 day tourist visa application being bounced. I’ll therefore book a return within the 60 days and change the return leg when I’m out in Thailand. As you rightly say, you need to book the flight for the visa application, even though you don’t need to book a flight for the CoE until part 2 of the process but you need a visa for part 1 of the process! I tried explaining this catch 22 situation to the London embassy and lost the will to live !! 

Apologies for the long reply. I’ve attached a couple of screen shots showing the booking.com free cancellation and what Etihad say in relation to their flex tickets. Hope this all helps? 

DEC920EA-76EC-4291-9489-EE459C8465FA.jpeg

64ABF180-9BD2-4185-B6DF-3DD2CE864FB1.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KWOG said:

uh oh. Something like that first one might really mess me up. 

This test is one of the more trivial yet infuriating aspects of Coronamania. 

It's like they came up with it as a joke.   Or saw chimps doing it.     

Infuriating is right! My Thai wife's best friend was working in Dubai and she had multiple PCR tests every week as part of her job. She came down with a serious infection and was in hospital for a few days, in a very bad way, unable to eat or drink, in and out of consciousness. After being treated with antibiotics etc. she pulled through and was able to return to Thailand.

Now I'm not a doctor, but I can guess that someone getting dozens of very invasive swabs, very aggressively deep in the nasal cavity is not a very healthy thing to do. I understand that an infection in the head can be very dangerous as it can spread to the brain.

So, every time I get a PCR test, I'm praying that I don't get a nurse from the Russian Olympic Wrestling team. Hopefully after this ASQ I won't need any more PCR tests as I plan to get to Hua Hin, circle the wagons, and never leave again, or at least until the zombie apocalypse is over and the vaccinated shuffle off....

• Angry 1