Phuket sealed off from tomorrow in bid to curb virus spread, save sandbox

Thaiger

From tomorrow, the southern island of Phuket shuts its doors to all but essential delivery services, in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19. A provincial order states that a ban on all domestic travel to and from the island will remain in place until at least August 16. “Phuket needs to come up with measures that aim to reduce and restrict movements to contain the spread within the limit and level that public health systems can accommodate.” While all domestic flights between Phuket and 13 “dark red”, high-risk provinces have already been suspended, the latest order bans travel […]

The post Phuket sealed off from tomorrow in bid to curb virus spread, save sandbox appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jam said:

It is not clear the article states no one in or out. Are you allowed to leave to other parts of thailand after tomorrow?!

As long as you're willing to drive or walk. No flights, no buses, no ferries. (Although I read that private buses are being arranged for Sandboxers who want to leave. Don't know the details, though.)

• Like 1

Half baked reporting - this measure , which should have been taken a month ago, will save lives not the “sandbox” whether travelers continue to come will depend on whether there is anything here to visit, which there won’t be if we don’t get population of island fully vaccinated and businesses open again.

24 minutes ago, Jam said:

It is not clear the article states no one in or out. Are you allowed to leave to other parts of thailand after tomorrow?!

Yes once you have completed 14 days, not sure whether much worth visiting apart from a few provinces in south Krabi and Trang , most of rest of Thailand is now dark red.....

• Like 1

WoW. Phuket really is now “The Escape from New York”.

‘Snake Plisken, where are you when needed!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:These stubborn prix will never admit defeat. It is a failed experiment, but loss of face can't be exhibited.

I can think of 12500 reasons why it has been a success many families and friends reunited and a welcome boost to many business’’s and hope for others. Any chance of a semblance of a high season depends on progress with opening up slowly and getting the island back on its feet.i am a retiree with no vested interest in business here, I would like to be living in a thriving community not an empty broken shell, if you want to know what I am talking about drive through Kata, Karon and Patong.....your glass seems to be half empty

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maverick said:

your glass seems to be half empty

Mine always is ….. Two fingers of Rum.

Though the sandbox numbers sound …. Er reasonable for the month, as a tourist destination, knock off at least 1000 for the returning Thais, which then would have taken money from Bangkok ALQ. Then take off how many non-tourists but return to retirement, marriage or work (ie school teachers) then tourists even lower. Is the sandbox going to be sustainable in the month of August now that all the Thais, Retirees, married people and workers have returned? 
Yes we would like to see it work, but at what cost? Plenty on Phuket got vaccinated just because of the sandbox, jumping well in front of the que to those that may require it in one of the dark red zones.

Glass half empty on this.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, TiT said:

The sand trap... how many suckers will be flying in going forward?

They get what they deserve at the end of the day

Unfortunately the worst virus in Phuket is the human form in the shape of the Mafia who run the island. Closing the island for a few days won't effect them one bit

46 minutes ago, Maverick said:

if you want to know what I am talking about drive through Kata, Karon and Patong.....your glass seems to be half empty

We did just that yesterday morning around 11 am going through Kata and Karon another few weeks and the jungle will take over, in Patong there was a few people about on the beach front was able to drive up Bangla road then turn right back to Karon 

Well,  one month after the start of the Sandbox, I would say it's not a success.

Just take a look at any YouTube video, and you can see that there is no decernable influence on local businesses. It's still closed up, with empty restaurants and bars.

Factor in the ever increasing additional restrictions and small number of arrivals it's not good.

The current new restrictions starting tomorrow, is very much a case of closing the stable door, after the horse has bolted.

Even with these new additional restrictions, there is still more holes in this proposition than there are holes in a sive!

The only thing  which is "good" in this situation,  is a good example of mismanagement!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jam said:

No.

For once, the article and the sources are crystal clear - no travel in or out, by land, sea or air, except the very specific and limited exceptions.

Those who came in on the sandbox in the last two weeks hoping for a cheap and easy ASQ before going elsewhere are stuck in Phuket.

@Maverick and @JamesE, I think you need to re-read the article.

Come to Thailand and see the local 7-11! Their selection of cheap noodles is magnificent!  Beaches are closed but hey, you can at least look at them! ?

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Haha 1

i think the main cause is the vaccine,i believe majority were given sinovac which is known for being less viable against the d variant. i may be wrong but i dont think i am 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well its official, Phuket is in Lockdown stopping all Nationals and foriegners living in Thailand from entering or leaving Phuket.

Edited by dunroamin

56 minutes ago, dunroamin said:

Well its official, Phuket is in Lockdown stopping all Nationals and foriegners living in Thailand from entering or leaving Phuket.

Except the Wealthy "connected", HISO's , Mia Noi's of high ranking officials and of course those high ranking officials who will continue to do exactly as they please.

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Those who came in on the sandbox in the last two weeks hoping for a cheap and easy ASQ before going elsewhere are stuck in Phuket.

Oh well, at least they still have the beach and sunshine. That's worth the 12-18 hour flight, thousands of extra dollars, and headaches from jumping through all the hoops isn't it? The portion of the scheme left to sell tourists is the ability to enter Phuket (only) without a full quarantine. I can't see even that lasting the month.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1