16 new dark red provinces and restrictions extended to Aug 16

Thaiger

16 more provinces will be added to Thailand’s dark red zones and all will see partial lockdown restrictions extended until August 16 according to a statement this late afternoon by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. The announcement extended the lockdowns set to expire August 3 for an additional 2 weeks, and expanded the number of provinces classified as dark red zones to 29. Aside from the jump from 13 to 29 provinces in the maximum and strict controlled area designation, 37 provinces are new classified as a red zone or maximum controlled area, while 11 provinces are a controlled […]

The post 16 new dark red provinces and restrictions extended to Aug 16 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just now, MikeW said:

Since I don't live in a delivery area I can't go to lotus and buy KFC for take out or a pizza place for carry out pizza 

think of the weight you will lose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

seeing reports of empty shelves in Bangkok. 

restaurants that have been open in Hua Hin will be closing soon. massage also. i wonder if i can still get a haircut? what about the gym? it has been open so far. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Looking likes it’s all grinding to a halt. This will make it that bit harder to get around for anyone using the sandbox as a stepping stone back in to Thailand 

• Like 4

When as a government you keep repeating failing measures, as is happening in Chonburi, it really does not make you look good, no matter what worthless and empty excuses you make to try and justify it! If your measures were working, you might get some support, but the continuing failure of them and the hardship they bring cannot be justified. Under NO circumstances should the imposed and supposed prevention measures create more harm that the threat you are trying to mitigate. Now it looks very much like the agenda is nothing to do with health, and is all to do with a systematic dismantling of the SME level of business. I say that because no cases have come from dining in restaurants, swimming pools, golf courses, barber shops, salons etc, yet these businesses continue to be targeted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaired said:

I say that because no cases have come from dining in restaurants, swimming pools, golf courses, barber shops, salons etc, yet these businesses continue to be targeted

The experience of this virus is now clear that it’s 99.9% airborne transmission. Outside dinning, swimming pools, golf courses and other outdoor activities such as being on the beach present a very very small risk. I think barber shops and salons are more of an issue given the enclosed spaces and recirculated air through air conditioners. Bars are a trickier one as although many are outside and hence “safe”, social distancing and general carful behaviour tends to go out of the window as the alcohol flows.  

It’s a total nightmare and the sad part is that there is little end in sight. A further mutation or two could put the whole world back 12 months. We need to control the chances of transmission and hence chances of mutation as soon as possible. Wealthy countries are being short sighted not to get vaccines out to everyone. The U.K. is already talking about a thirds booster jab for the more vulnerable starting in September. The plan is to give Pfizer as a booster to people who have had two doses or AZ as Pfizer is more effective against the Delta variant. In my view we should be giving those booster doses to other countries now.   

Edited by Soidog
Typo
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The (UK) plan is to give Pfizer as a booster to people who have had two doses or AZ as Pfizer is more effective against the Delta variant. In my view we should be giving those booster doses to other countries now.   

Thailand's vaccine shortage and chaotic immunization program has nothing to do with wealth or ability to pay. The reasons may differ but the same could be said of Australia.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

seeing reports of empty shelves in Bangkok. 

restaurants that have been open in Hua Hin will be closing soon. massage also. i wonder if i can still get a haircut? what about the gym? it has been open so far. 

Betcha wishing you kept your Flowbee?......

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mopi said:

Thailand's vaccine shortage and chaotic immunization program has nothing to do with wealth or ability to pay. The reasons may differ but the same could be said of Australia.

Agreed, and I wasn’t suggesting that wealth was the answer. However, there are many countries who will be struggling though lack of funding. Many of these are part of the Covax scheme and it is to this scheme more vaccine progressed countries should now be donating more to. We just all need to find a way to get this virus under a bit more control than it currently is. It’s clearly something we will have to learn to live with for many many years, if not generations to come. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed, and I wasn’t suggesting that wealth was the answer. However, there are many countries who will be struggling though lack of funding. Many of these are part of the Covax scheme and it is to this scheme more vaccine progressed countries should now be donating more to. We just all need to find a way to get this virus under a bit more control than it currently is. It’s clearly something we will have to learn to live with for many many years, if not generations to come. 

It aint ever going away. Never.  It is another Influenza A or B - no matter how many vaccines they develop, it will keep coming back in various mutations after being dormant for periods of time.  But unlike Influenzas this virus can be lethal - like the coronaviruses of MERS and SARS before it.  The best we can hope for is that we quickly develop enough herd immunities through natural methods and vaccines, and that 'forces' Covid to become less 'active' and less 'lethal'. But just like Influenzas A and B, it will resurface now and then in the future, but unlike Influenzas it is able to mutate is a very short period of time once it is able to achieve a cluster of local infections (such as in India with the latest Delta mutation).   

I think that there will be developed a fast accurate diagnosis method, like for MERS and SARS and Ebola, such that as soon as an outbreak occurs, everything and everyone in proximity will be shut down and isolated - using the military and guns if required.  That is the only way to stop MERS and SARS and Ebola - nobody comes in or out - period.  Only once that is done does the infection stop spreading, and only once that is done do they focus on treating those that have been infected. It is clear this virus is just like Influenza in that it is highly contagious and that it is spread by people moving around. It is not as deadly as Ebola or MERS or SARS, but because it is far more contagious than any of those viruses, it has to be stopped from spreading by isolating those infected and exposed - 4 million deaths and counting. It is a very bad virus and it aint ever going away, and going forward all Govts will put in place things we do not all like and do not all agree with, but they will be put in place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Betcha wishing you kept your Flowbee?......

a friend of mine who is actually very frugal has a Flowbee. He does a good job. personally i will keep the smokin' hot (by Hua Hin's standards) Thai woman who cuts my hair. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Since I don't live in a delivery area I can't go to lotus and buy KFC for take out or a pizza place for carry out pizza 

think of the weight you will lose. 

And the wait, if there's a long queue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Goodbye to many restaurants then. Many were barely covering costs with takeaway only.

I won't order delivery. I don't want cold food with the packaging handled by an unknown person who may have dirty hands from pissing at the side of the road and may be infected with covid. The government is adding another layer of infection risk.

I don't see the difference between a group of waiting grab drivers and a group of waiting customers.

More misery for the few workers and business owners left.

Edited by Grumpyoldman
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Tesco in Pattaya on Sukhumvit has no restaurants open. The escalator isn't running, the shops are dark. Same with most restaurants. Grab/Panda and the such are our only options for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

I think mother earth has had it with us and is performing a necessary cull. Can't say as I blame her. We (the collective we) haven't been very good stewards. Highest performing brains equipped with opposable thumbs yet we can't get our heads out our backsides.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Cool 1

42 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Goodbye to many restaurants then. Many were barely covering costs with takeaway only.

I won't order delivery. I don't want cold food with the packaging handled by an unknown person who may have dirty hands from pissing at the side of the road and may be infected with covid. The government is adding another layer of infection risk.

I don't see the difference between a group of waiting grab drivers and a group of waiting customers.

More misery for the few workers and business owners left.

I wonder who owns these delivery services and how thick the envelopes were 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I wonder who owns these delivery services and how thick the envelopes were 

Not sure if it works the same here, but in Washington State, Grab demands ~40% of every transaction. Greedy twats!

• Like 2

If this vaccine is so effective why do we still need to wear a mask, social distance and lockdown the whole country. These businesses won’t survive. It is a scam, wake up!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Wearefree said:

If this vaccine is so effective why do we still need to wear a mask, social distance and lockdown the whole country. These businesses won’t survive. It is a scam, wake up!

The vaccine does not stop you catching covid nor does it stop you spreading it. It does however prevent serious problems and possibly death if you should contract it - so they say.  Hence you should still wear a mask to protect others and/or if you are ugly.

16 minutes ago, gummy said:

The vaccine does not stop you catching covid nor does it stop you spreading it. It does however prevent serious problems and possibly death if you should contract it - so they say.  Hence you should still wear a mask to protect others and/or if you are ugly.

The fact that this STILL has to be explained is just sad. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yetanother said:

not surprising, most of jane and john q. public isn't particularly bright

Thankfully, they're the ones getting sick. Go Darwin!