Phuket Sandbox Covid-19 infections: 35 today, 209 this week

Thaiger

35 new Covid-19 infections pushed rolling 7-day total in Phuket to 209, more than doubling the feared 90 per week that would trigger Sandbox reconsideration according to the original official plans. When the total first passed the 90 infection threshold and surpassed 100, the Department of Disease Control declared that the overall situation was still far from critical and the Sandbox could continue. None of the 35 infections were from international travellers in the Phuket Sandbox program; they were all locally transmitted. This trend of domestic infections prompted a near-complete shutdown of domestic entry to Phuket, creating a strange circumstance […]

The post Phuket Sandbox Covid-19 infections: 35 today, 209 this week appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why put safeguards in place i.e. maximum infection rates etc if they are totally disregarded by a numpty in Phuket. The new model seems to be to stick ones head into the sandbox like an emu. When it all turns to crap in a few weeks time with even more infections the local politicians and hoteliers will be trying to find a third party to point the finger at. Desperation to open Phuket and Thai tourism in general we all understand and sympathise with, but the path to that opening will never lay anywhere else other than proper amd full vaccination with a suitably appropriate vaccine.

• Like 5

This really is a tragicomedy, these clowns have absolutely no idea what to do, all they want is tourist £££.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

Why put safeguards in place i.e. maximum infection rates etc if they are totally disregarded by a numpty in Phuket

Well it’s not a surprise as they allowed countries in from the high risk list from the DDC. 
https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

UK is in the high risk, and they are flying in on Thai Airlines. 

• Like 1

International, double jabbed, dirty unwashed farrang tourists are not spreading this virus, however we are the the ones being penalised with ridiculous paperwork and expenses, just for the privelage of spending our western wealth in Thailand that they so desperately need. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Why put safeguards in place i.e. maximum infection rates etc if they are totally disregarded by a numpty in Phuket. The new model seems to be to stick ones head into the sandbox like an emu. When it all turns to crap in a few weeks time with even more infections the local politicians and hoteliers will be trying to find a third party to point the finger at. Desperation to open Phuket and Thai tourism in general we all understand and sympathise with, but the path to that opening will never lay anywhere else other than proper amd full vaccination with a suitably appropriate vaccine.

They'll point the finger at farrang, oven thou the stats show it's locals. 

50 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Well it’s not a surprise as they allowed countries in from the high risk list from the DDC. 
https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

Try reading and understanding before making stupid claims.

The spreaders are Thais, not international travellers.

Why do you think they have now almost banned Thai visitors ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bb54 said:

Try reading and understanding before making stupid claims.

The spreaders are Thais, not international travellers.

Why do you think they have now almost banned Thai visitors ?

Too many people especially Thai, only read a headline, then make the rest of the story up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

Too many people especially Thai, only read a headline, then make the rest of the story up. 

So if you do read the full story you will see the discrepancy from day one of the sandbox, between the DDC and the COE listing. If they could not follow the DDC rules then how do you think they will follow anything further down the path. 

A lot on this forum saw that the issue with covid on Phuket was going to come from local transmissions from day one of the Sandbox due to the local government rules put in place including the 7 day Covid test requirement prior to entering Phuket. 

And the People banned are not just Thai, but all local tourists from outside Phuket. 

• Like 2

So as well as a few snapshots taken on the tourists camera for their memory of the trip..they can also take home a free case of covid... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bobfran said:

So as well as a few snapshots taken on the tourists camera for their memory of the trip..they can also take home a free case of covid... 

Not only that, they pay over the odds and jump through hoops ??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

At the time of opening the Sandbox, Thailand was on its own Red List.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

35 new Covid-19 infections pushed rolling 7-day total in Phuket to 209, more than doubling the feared 90 per week that would trigger Sandbox reconsideration according to the original official plans. When the total first passed the 90 infection threshold and surpassed 100, the Department of Disease Control declared that the overall situation was still far from critical and the Sandbox could continue. None of the 35 infections were from international travellers in the Phuket Sandbox program; they were all locally transmitted. This trend of domestic infections prompted a near-complete shutdown of domestic entry to Phuket, creating a strange circumstance […]

The post Phuket Sandbox Covid-19 infections: 35 today, 209 this week appeared first on Thaiger News.

At the rate of 209 cases/week and assuming the numbers are flat for the next few week, this represents Level 3 (Red) for the entire island. This is no good. Most people have been vaccinated with Sinovac vaccine which is useless in fighting against Delta. Reinfection among themselves and to the unvaccinated will persist until they are boosted with AZ vaccine. As a result, Phuket Sandbox will be in jeopardy. I like to see the death rate

4 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Not only that, they pay over the odds and jump through hoops ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PuCrab said:

At the rate of 209 cases/week and assuming the numbers are flat for the next few week, this represents Level 3 (Red) for the entire island. This is no good. Most people have been vaccinated with Sinovac vaccine which is useless in fighting against Delta. Reinfection among themselves and to the unvaccinated will persist until they are boosted with AZ vaccine. As a result, Phuket Sandbox will be in jeopardy. I like to see the death rate

It's no wonder, China are buying AstraZeneca ?

• Like 1

90 or 95% vaccinated for the Delta!

The longer the authorities wait, the faster the fall ...

The good idea of the sandbox, will die from the impossibility of applying strict measures: people (tourist or local) do not enter without being vaccinated and 3 tests or strict quarantine including children, officials etc ...

Edited by vvdb.fr
English

covid is here to stay people.  by the time they get the vaccines, the old people who were gonna die from covid will have already died from natural causes anyways.  net gain for lockdowns...zero.

1 hour ago, BIGGLES said:

At the time of opening the Sandbox, Thailand was on its own Red List.

It still is.

Welcome to Phuket Sandbox! aka The Purge--Hunger Games Edition

Enjoy your stay--Prison Pool closed but Ocean open (beware of riptides)

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

So the max 90 cases  per week for the Sandbox was fake news from the Governer?!

Perhaps the Governor is a fake also ??

9 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

It's no wonder, China are buying AstraZeneca ?

If that is true, then the reason is so that they can reverse engineer it and make their own version for the Chinese people (and friends in Nth Korea etc.).  That is the same reason that they manufacture most things for the west. 

I can’t believe what people are stating on this Forum sometimes. I accept that a lot are giving opinions and that is fine. I disagree with the picture which was posted because I am here now and it is truly amazing to be back and certainly nothing like that photo. 

I am starting to think that there are no posts from sandboxers like myself because of all the scaremongering and negativity, we are enjoying the best of Thailand and Phuket here. I could post some amazing photo’s and perhaps I will showing a truly positive view, although that may get me intro trouble for being so positive, against all the negative posters here. 

I am doing everything that I could do previously, but with the benefit of lesser crowds and noise. 

As for the paperwork, it’s relatively simple and the cheaper cost of the hotel outweighs the cost of the three tests. I have paid exactly the same to be here as I would have done previously. 

Thailand has to open, so how else could they have done it? This approach to a slow opening is completely successful in my opinion.  Tourists vaccinated, tested thoroughly three times, and that confirms the reason for the low positive results from circus 13,000 arrivals. 

I am a thoroughly happy sanboxer and proud to have been one of the first. 

Cheers

Brian

• Thanks 1