Bangkok Train market to possibly close for good

Thaiger

It has recently been reported that the immensely popular Ratchada night market/AKA the Train market located in Bangkok, will possibly close for good. The train market, which enjoyed patronage from both farangs/and Thais alike was previously closed due to restrictions with the goal of curbing Covid infections. Now, however, it seems the market will close permanently. Vendors have already reportedly been told to pack up shop and get out within 14 days. The night market had been temporarily closed due to restrictions aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19. A birds-eye view of the market projected a dazzling spectacle of […]

The post Bangkok Train market to possibly close for good appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

the Train market located in Bangkok, will possibly close for good.

End of the line then ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Probably because the value of the land on which the market sits exceeds the income stream generated from stall holders. That land has to be an absolute prime piece of real estate in that area. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Probably because the value of the land on which the market sits exceeds the income stream generated from stall holders. That land has to be an absolute prime piece of real estate in that area. 

It's a huge market and was very crowded prior to covid.  The photo in the article is from the parking garage of an adjacent shopping mall.  It shows how big and vibrant it once was.  It will be a shame to see it go.  Perhaps it can be replaced by an extension of the shopping mall or a shiny new condo.

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

It's a huge market and was very crowded prior to covid.  The photo in the article is from the parking garage of an adjacent shopping mall.  It shows how big and vibrant it once was.  It will be a shame to see it go.  Perhaps it can be replaced by an extension of the shopping mall or a shiny new condo.

Yes Bangkok needs a few more condos as they will soon all be sought after waterfront properties.

4 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Bye bye iconic market, hello 155 new overpriced AirBnB's.

Even owners on Airbnb have had to bring their prices down I think the STR market in Bangkok has hit rock bottom, 

By the time this government is finished with the way they are handling all this. There will be nothing interesting left for tourists to see. No street vendors, food stalls, nightlife or open markets.

• Like 1

This is bad news. It was a good place for food and drink with a very lively atmosphere. Not many like that left in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Someone in this forum who still believe that Covid 19 is only about a medical emergency ? Seems that the conspiracy theorists where right after all. An entire agenda is pushed through using the Covid 19 threat as an excuse . Not just in Thailand, but the world over. The rich and powerful have certainly gained both in wealth and in power.

mental slavery.jpg

• Like 1

Terrible news. The owners/operators I believe also own the original and bigger one in Srinakarin.

To people commenting about the real estate itself, this sits behind Esplanade mall, away from Ratchadapisek. So it can only be practically developed as a condo, not office tower or a shopping mall.

Edited by Leo

13 hours ago, Leo said:

Terrible news. The owners/operators I believe also own the original and bigger one in Srinakarin.

To people commenting about the real estate itself, this sits behind Esplanade mall, away from Ratchadapisek. So it can only be practically developed as a condo, not office tower or a shopping mall.

It may be best used as mixed use. I agree that  with is proximity to the 2 massive shopping outlets, it would be madness to build more retail. The land is better used for high density housing with some specialized commercial and offices. The problem though is access. They will need to open it up to the small sois on the other side of the market. Getting in and out of that place has always been a nightmare.

I don't see this as a big loss. The shops all same the same junk, so whether it is available in a shopping mall or in the market, it doesn't change much. I always saw the food stalls as dirty places, but then I  never was one for street food.  

• Like 1

I can see the Market from my balcony. 

Spet. 2019 thru. March 2020 during this period 

I believed they averaged 6000 Chinese tourist per night. Walk ways were packed

April 2020 the vendor stalls left. Bars and restaurants on perimeter remained

July 2020 about 1/3 of the vendors returned. 

Starting 30/7/21 vendors began breaking down their stalls. The restaurants and bars on the perimeter are also breaking down. 

Note Esplanade is not doing well.

• Like 2

Nice to see first hand information.  The latest news is that they will try to open again at some point in the future.  The observations from your balcony are interesting.  Must be a great place for photos.

Edited by bushav8r