Border between Kanchanaburi and Myanmar closed until…

Thaiger

Kanchanaburi, a western Thai province, has been ordered to close its border with Myanmar, effective Monday. The border will stay closed until further notice. The closure is a precaution against people fleeing the deteriorating Covid situation in the nearby country. The order comes from Kanchanaburi’s governor, Jirakiart Phumisawat. Myanmar’s healthcare system is reportedly in shambles, a result of mass arrests of medics who opposed the military regime. Also, a lack of vaccines has led to Covid spreading and the death toll climbing. In fact, a UN expert called the combined military coup/Covid spike in Myanmar a “perfect storm”. Jirakiart says […]

The post Border between Kanchanaburi and Myanmar closed until… appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Also, a lack of vaccines has led to Covid spreading and the death toll climbing.

I'm not certain which of the two countries they mean?

• Like 1

i was in Myanmar five years ago. very nice people, many who spoke English, still unaffected by smart phones and wearing clothes that reflected a bit more of their culture instead of fashion knock offs. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i was in Myanmar five years ago. very nice people, many who spoke English, still unaffected by smart phones and wearing clothes that reflected a bit more of their culture instead of fashion knock offs. 

I agree with you. I was there for a business trip in 2012 for 3 days and the people I met were very pleasant. Of course they were business people so had had a good education and an amassing grasp of English but even the restaurant and bar many of the servers still had well pronounced language skills. I feel very sorry for what they are going thro' now.

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

I agree with you. I was there for a business trip in 2012 for 3 days and the people I met were very pleasant. Of course they were business people so had had a good education and an amassing grasp of English but even the restaurant and bar many of the servers still had well pronounced language skills. I feel very sorry for what they are going thro' now.

'an amassing grasp of English' - not as 'amassing' as yours - ha ha!

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

'an amassing grasp of English' - not as 'amassing' as yours - ha ha!

Well considering I am 50% Klingon, 25% English and 25% Prat I don't do too bad do I ?

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well considering I am 50% Klingon, 25% English and 25% Prat I don't do too bad do I ?

my tricorder confirms your statement. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

I heard that Izal and Dettol remove 100% of Klingons.

45 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

My great uncle was in Burma in the 1940's. He found them to be very useful in the removal of unwanted Japanese visitors.

I shall be very surprised if the border is secured.  Thailand has been unable to close it to drug traffickers and other vile filth over the years. I expect that some rogues will see this as an opportunity to shakedown  desperate folk.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HuaHinHappy said:

My great uncle was in Burma in the 1940's. He found them to be very useful in the removal of unwanted Japanese visitors.

'the removal of unwanted Japanese visitors'

The I like the description. It gives the impression of a cleaning agent that removes all known germs.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

57 minutes ago, gummy said:
3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I heard that Izal and Dettol remove 100% of Klingons.

Wire brush works too

If all else fails, break out the photon torpedoes.

• Haha 1