Koh Samui unaccustomed to Covid-19, many act in dismay

Thaiger

Koh Samui is not accustomed to Covid-19 worries and has been rocked by the outbreak this week as many locals struggle to cope with the first significant cluster on the island. So far 40 Covid-19 infections have been identified from the Black Bamboo Club cluster, and several other seemingly unrelated infections had popped up also. A few more bars have been added to the contact tracing list as possible spreader locations including Old School Bar and the Ark Store – referenced but not named in our reporting yesterday after the sudden closure for “renovations” as news of the outbreak broke. […]

The post Koh Samui unaccustomed to Covid-19, many act in dismay appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A few more bars have been added to the contact tracing list as possible spreader locations including Old School Bar and the Ark Store

Ark store .? Anyone Noah what that's about ? 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

It's opposite from a famous beach bar called "ArkBar"

• Like 1

A load of falang vloggers have rocked up for the Samui Sandbox invitees of TAT I think. Paddy Doyle is one and Retired Working for You Chris was there at the launch. He's bailing out out and taking his family back to Canada now though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

By reading the whole article I would say it's pretty accurate. However, the people you see in the video (at the test station) are not the kind of people who would ever step a foot in the black-bamboo bar, which is the culprit of this whole situation. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending them, they sure violated all the issued guidelines.

My problem is the reported zero cases for weeks, when these people who are being tested are clearly not related to the bamboo cluster. (I was driving there today and all I've seen are mostly middle age Thais) I guess the good old mantra is stil true. "If you test you will find" Btw of course these people left their guard down when the case count suggested that Samui is covid free.

The bamboo clients were probably stayed away from testing because of this little tip of yesterday:

"According to Asean Now, the Koh Samui district chief Theerapong Chuaychu expanded an original statement vowing prosecution of the venues that spread the virus, and suggested that identified partygoers would also be prosecuted."

Edited by BookShe
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, BookShe said:
5 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

It's opposite from a famous beach bar called "ArkBar"

Well I never did. Have we got two religions mixed up now?

• Haha 5

Complacency strikes again, just like at the boxing stadium, the fish market and the hiso clubs. Now they must pay the price just like the rest of us have been doing for month after month.

• Like 3

As someone else correctly inferred, no testing-> no cases, minimal testing-> low case numbers. Basically what Thailand had been doing up to 3-4 weeks ago.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, billybob said:

A load of falang vloggers have rocked up for the Samui Sandbox invitees of TAT I think. Paddy Doyle is one and Retired Working for You Chris was there at the launch. He's bailing out out and taking his family back to Canada now though. 

Yesterday I got many calls and all of them were talking about preparing their exit. I know many they left already mostly the ones without families because it is easier, some waited before to sell their condos but even they not sold it they left. I talked with sombody who left Thailand after 35 years and he said this was the worst time and worst gov in all his years in Thailand. But it started already 2017 and 2018 many sme businesses and people left Thailand because the conditions were already bad compare to neighbouring countries like Vietnam.

• Like 6

The article doesn’t mention anybody actually being hospitalized and certainly not dying on Samui because they contracted covid. Nevertheless everyone seems to be panicking. Why aren’t they panicking about the number of road deaths on the island which number about 30 a month and will continue every month ad infinitum until Samui residents learn to drive a bit more slowly. 

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yesterday I got many calls and all of them were talking about preparing their exit. I know many they left already mostly the ones without families because it is easier, some waited before to sell their condos but even they not sold it they left. I talked with sombody who left Thailand after 35 years and he said this was the worst time and worst gov in all his years in Thailand. But it started already 2017 and 2018 many sme businesses and people left Thailand because the conditions were already bad compare to neighbouring countries like Vietnam.

You can't blame anybody for making that decision if an exit is possible obviously for most Thais that is not an option. I love Pravit from Khaosod though as ever his head and heart are in the rightest of places. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

The article doesn’t mention anybody actually being hospitalized and certainly not dying on Samui because they contracted covid. Nevertheless everyone seems to be panicking. Why aren’t they panicking about the number of road deaths on the island which number about 30 a month and will continue every month ad infinitum until Samui residents learn to drive a bit more slowly. 

It's probably the perception of contracting covid from someone just being near them. If they stay off the roads there's little chance of dying - unless someone crashes into their house of course.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

It's probably the perception of contracting covid from someone just being near them. If they stay off the roads there's little chance of dying - unless someone crashes into their house of course.

You’ve rather missed the point. They aren’t going to stay off the roads because we all have essential journeys to make. But they’re totally sanguine about 30 road deaths a month but go into a flat panic if one person tests positive for covid-19 even though most people are asymptomatic and don’t even realize they have the virus.  We need a little more sense of proportion here.

1 minute ago, Leeshard said:
7 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

You’ve rather missed the point. They aren’t going to stay off the roads because we all have essential journeys to make. But they’re totally sanguine about 30 road deaths a month but go into a flat panic if one person tests positive for covid-19 even though most people are asymptomatic and don’t even realize they have the virus.  We need a little more sense of proportion here.

OK. I didn't really miss the point as I was being sarcastic. No problem.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yep - have heard same thing from a few, and been told about others. Probably a wise move if it can be done. Chris from that Rethaired Working for You who has been on Thaiger vids with Tim, has packed up and left for Canada. His 'excuse' is that his daughter is going to Uni and they need to go away for 2-3 months to get her settled in. But I think he took the decision to get out of Dodge before it gets really bad (and to be able to use a modern medical system if any of them catches it).  He part/owns a luxury villa hotel in Samui, so if that sandbox stays open he can get back in.  If you can do it, then think about it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - have heard same thing from a few, and been told about others. Probably a wise move if it can be done. Chris from that Rethaired Working for You who has been on Thaiger vids with Tim, has packed up and left for Canada. His 'excuse' is that his daughter is going to Uni and they need to go away for 2-3 months to get her settled in. But I think he took the decision to get out of Dodge before it gets really bad (and to be able to use a modern medical system if any of them catches it).  He part/owns a luxury villa hotel in Samui, so if that sandbox stays open he can get back in.  If you can do it, then think about it. 

Yeah I'm a big fan of Chris but I don't buy his excuse - he has the funds and the motivation to go elsewhere so he's bailing out but who can blame him. I'm not there at the moment but we have extensive family so it's a very worrying time. The CSSA have predicted the peak will be September 16th so that would mean the best part of 3 months of rising cases and deaths. 

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Not an easy task for the families who have children in the school or universities in Thailand. But their hopes and faith went down day by day. It is the lowest point Thailand ever had.

• Like 3

Been here just over a year, how come he

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yeah I'm a big fan of Chris but I don't buy his excuse - he has the funds and the motivation to go elsewhere so he's bailing out but who can blame him. I'm not there at the moment but we have extensive family so it's a very worrying time. The CSSA have predicted the peak will be September 16th so that would mean the best part of 3 months of rising cases and deaths. 

He seems to have been posting vlogs from here just over a year, how come he's retired and 'working for you'? Can't understand people claiming he's done a lot for Thailand. Just can't stand the accent myself, like nails on a blackboard. 

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sure he doesn't post it on youtube whatis his real purposes. But all if us can imagine why.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leeshard said:

So are you saying Leeshard that someone is near you that coughs close enough to you, he won't pass covid onto you as its airborn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

As someone said:  "grifters have gotta grift - despite the pandemic".

I too was very impressed with his 'paying it back stuff'.  But then he hired a 'marketing' student, and then he started advertising lots of businesses. I think he always had the plan of building up his youtube following and then making money from them by being a 'nomad'. travelling to all sorts of destinations that are paid for by those places, just like all those other tourist nomad grifters.  I have gone right off him - I feel he ingratiated himself for his own advantage.  The worst kind of grifter. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 2:27 PM, Leeshard said:

TVF called, they want their road tollist back.

• Haha 1

Paddy is thinking about leaving back to the UK as well.  Chris likely had a word with him before he left and told him its going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.  The university excuse for his daughter was a poor one, of course he wants his audience to keep chomping at the bit to come back to Thailand, that's what is propelling his YouTube channels success.  If he flat out told everyone how bad it was and not to come, he would lose his audience overnight.

• Like 2