Precarious Phuket: open internationally, closed domestically

Thaiger

Phuket has become like one island but 2 different worlds, depending on your vantage point. A look at the news over the past few days has been a dizzying mix of the Phuket Sandbox pushing forward, some successes in statistically low Covid-19 infection and death, especially compared to the rest of Thailand, a green light for the Sandbox to continue despite obstacles, and the island sealing off to outsiders. Announcements regarding the Sandbox being allowed to continue under close supervision came within hours of government orders essentially banning all domestic travel to the island. Now, your chances of travelling to […]

The post Precarious Phuket: open internationally, closed domestically appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One more reason to not pick Phuket as your vacation destination this summer. Not that you really needed an extra reason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

One more reason to not pick Phuket as your vacation destination this summer. Not that you really needed an extra reason. 

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Phuket is a great place to go, it has dozens of beaches, national parks to walk in, massive shopping areas, safe off the track cycling and walking areas,  lots of restaurants both for locals and international travellers, there are many quiet districts and of course the busy night life areas, it is up to the individual to choose what to do, that of course is in normal times so I will wait before returning just yet for my six months standard trip.

I suppose if you live in a house in quiet area with a car which allows you to get around you can appreciate what Phuket has to offer as most of the tourists I suppose only see the night life side of the island for a week or two and do not appreciate what the whole island has to offer.

Now if you were talking about seedy cheap places like Pattaya full of riff-raff then I would agree with you. 

Edited by JamesR
Auto correction error
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Phuket is a great place to go, it has dozens of beaches, national parks to walk in, massive shopping areas, safe off the track cycling and walking areas,  lots of restaurants both for locals and international travellers, there are many quiet districts and of course the busy night life areas ...

I know you are trying to sell it, but I'm not buying. I've been a few times but never took to Phuket. Over developed, over price, over scammed, lacking the charm, culture and exotic nature I so love about Thailand.  No doubt Phuket has all those things you list, but I can get those better and more at home. There are tons of great places in Thailand, I just personally think Phuket isn't one of them. I think of Phuket like I do about Cabo San Lucas or Waikiki, places so over overwhelmed for so long by tourists it's lost it's native feel.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

I know you are trying to sell it, but I'm not buying. I've been a few times but never took to Phuket. Over developed, over price, over scammed, lacking the charm, culture and exotic nature I so love about Thailand.  No doubt Phuket has all those things you list, but I can get those better and more at home. There are tons of great places in Thailand, I just personally think Phuket isn't one of them. I think of Phuket like I do about Cabo San Lucas or Waikiki, places so over overwhelmed for so long by tourists it's lost it's native feel.  

I am not selling anything. I am just trying to offset the nonsense you said about it even though you have never been there. 

"I've been a few times but never took to Phuket." you said.

I can tell by the rubbish you have written above, stop listening gossip and find out the facts yourself by going around the whole island.

The people who say it is over priced generally are the cheapskates who like Pattaya, the people we do not want in Phuket in the first place. 

The next time I fancy a bowl of noodles from a street vendor just for a change I will tell him his 50 baht price is far too high and I can get the same in Pattaya for 30 baht, he will probably tell me to eff-off and go to Pattaya. 

I am saying the same thing too.

There are lots of quiet places in Phuket but it is probably best if you do stay away as it will be even quieter. 

Edited by JamesR
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I am not selling anything. I am just trying to offset the nonsense you said about it even though you have never been there. 

"I've been a few times but never took to Phuket." you said.

I can tell by the rubbish you have written above, stop listening gossip and find out the facts yourself by going around the whole island.

The people who say it is over priced generally are the cheapskates who like Pattaya, the people we do not want in Phuket in the first place. 

You are assuming quite a bit, and as expected most of it wrong. I have been to Phuket three times. Admittedly not a lot but it certainly falls within a "few",  and yes I have been around the entire island. When you are traveling with a local, you have little choice in the matter. I'm also far from a cheapskate. Sorry you took offense that I don't find your little slice of Thailand heaven special. I'm sure there are places you don't care for but others do. To me Phuket is the epitome of mass tourism in Thailand. I just prefer other parts of Thailand. I do like how you wrote: "the people we do not want in Phuket" - that made me laugh. Good one. 

Phuket currently has 450 rooms ready for isolation and quarantine...sabai sabai?

Just like what Ive been doing at home for the past year and a half..for free..with no hoops to jump thru...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

Phuket is a great place to go, it has dozens of beaches, national parks to walk in, massive shopping areas, safe off the track cycling and walking areas,  lots of restaurants both for locals and international travellers, there are many quiet districts and of course the busy night life areas, it is up to the individual to choose what to do, that of course is in normal times so I will wait before returning just yet for my six months standard trip.

I suppose if you live in a house in quiet area with a car which allows you to get around you can appreciate what Phuket has to offer as most of the tourists I suppose only see the night life side of the island for a week or two and do not appreciate what the whole island has to offer.

Now if you were talking about seedy cheap places like Pattaya full of riff-raff then I would agree with you. 

Easy, leave the RAF out of this, gentleman  each and everyone of us, past and present!????

Unless you're based in Thailand, obviously.

That's what International means.

1 hour ago, April said:

International travelers,  is that including Canadians? Thank you April

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Unless you're based in Thailand, obviously.

That's what International means.

What do you mean? Are you here or are you going to come here? I would also say if anyone does come here and then leaves Phuket after quarantine to travel domestically, it would figure you would be locked out. Then you would be stuck.

Phuket closed all the bars again (or at least in Rawai). 

Restaurants now back to early closing too.

Too many local cases, although the stats don't show anything major.  i.e. the stats are bs...

• Like 1

Unfortunatly this is the best way to keep Puket 'Sandbox' functioning, The lure of work is drawing the young ladies there but the measures required for entry need to be strictly adhered to... I did read the list of persons allowed entry and I am concerned about the ones allowed entry at the 'discretion'  of the border police.. Tea Money comes to mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

What do you mean? Are you here or are you going to come here? I would also say if anyone does come here and then leaves Phuket after quarantine to travel domestically, it would figure you would be locked out. Then you would be stuck.

It wasn't my question. It was another poster.

Edited by Poolie
Clarification

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

It wasn't my question. It was another poster.

OOPS. Wrong button. I thought I hit the April OP

3 hours ago, April said:

International travelers,  is that including Canadians? Thank you April

Talk about face - losing, they are now isolating Phuket from the infected thai travellers and letting dirty Farangs in to squeeze them for whatever they can get out of them.

Their plans have backfired. Infections are increasing and the currency is weakening.

These soldier- boy,  wannabe politicians are exposing themselves for the incompetent lying and criminal pack they are.

Their country still has massive financial reserves which they are withholding from the needy due to their own self- enrichment.

But unfortunately they still possess the weapons and it’s only a matter of time until they resort to the only solution they understand and start using them.

Announcing that they are going to enter space, buy submarines and even produce their own mRNA vaccines.

It’s time for the so called politicians with the Fassade smiles to get out.

15 hours ago, EdwardV said:

You are assuming quite a bit, and as expected most of it wrong. I have been to Phuket three times. Admittedly not a lot but it certainly falls within a "few",  and yes I have been around the entire island. When you are traveling with a local, you have little choice in the matter. I'm also far from a cheapskate. Sorry you took offense that I don't find your little slice of Thailand heaven special. I'm sure there are places you don't care for but others do. To me Phuket is the epitome of mass tourism in Thailand. I just prefer other parts of Thailand. I do like how you wrote: "the people we do not want in Phuket" - that made me laugh. Good one. 

You disliked it so much you went three times?

I still can't believe you have been all around the island if you say it is the epitome of mass tourism which leads me to think the local who gave you little choice in the matter did not take you to the quiet non-tourist areas. 

What about smaller completely empty beaches, did you see any of those?

What about the 6 kms track around the reservoir in the national park used as a cycling/walking area where 99% of the users are Thai as most tourists do not know it is there.