MOTORCYCLES PAST AND PRESENT

stuhan

wow, idd bringing back a lot of memories!. first was a yamaha FS1 50cc 2-stroke (buildyear 1969) and 2nd one was a suzuki GT750 2 stroke. That was fast for its time... Kept on driving motorcycle ever since. Currently driving a Yamaha TDM850.

• Like 1

Very first desert race. DNF'd. Waited in the desert for 6 hours until the sweep truck picked me up.

Can anyone name the bike?

74452669_12-16-200945220PM.thumb.jpg.49fb912d66db475ad2746823e0849c76.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, highonthai said:

Very first desert race. DNF'd. Waited in the desert for 6 hours until the sweep truck picked me up.

Can anyone name the bike?

74452669_12-16-200945220PM.thumb.jpg.49fb912d66db475ad2746823e0849c76.jpg

I'm guessing maybe a bultaco or montesa ?

1 minute ago, stuhan said:

I'm guessing maybe a bultaco or montesa ?

You were so close, 250 Ossa Stiletto. 

Here's a bultaco I restored many years ago.

1654725290_12-18-200912759PM.thumb.jpg.35f7548dd12675e3e3fb08cb3bfb798e.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Was an easy one yes cbx 1000

Man that was a engine! Sounded bitchen, but a bitch to sync the carbs. As you well know.

• Like 1

Ah, I remember that bike, one of the first production water cooled engines.

Its's very cool to look back on all the old bikes that we wish we still owned. kicking our ourselves now at the price they go for today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, highonthai said:

Here's one.

Hint, constant loss oil system and uses alcohol. 

Capture665.JPG.89746b63ee69854b30389406442d17d9.JPG

J.A.P 350 or early Harley otherwise got me

Here is a couple of custom bikes I built then sold in Thailand. I'm sure they are still cruising around somewhere in Chiang Mai today. The extended fork one was just to dangerous to ride after a couple of beers! Handled like crap. But the Chaly bike was a real chick magnet.

bikepics-1799522-full.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, highonthai said:

You were so close, 250 Ossa Stiletto. 

Here's a bultaco I restored many years ago.

1654725290_12-18-200912759PM.thumb.jpg.35f7548dd12675e3e3fb08cb3bfb798e.jpg

Had the looks of those early ones, i completely forgot about Ossa,was even thinking husky.

That's a great example

16 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

beast of a bike. had a nasty kickback sometimes from the kickstarter (hence the word kick?)

gt750.jpg

Kettle 750 another fav of mine,very easy to repair and service so basic, a great bike, nice to ride to.

1 hour ago, thaifarmer said:

wow, idd bringing back a lot of memories!. first was a yamaha FS1 50cc 2-stroke (buildyear 1969) and 2nd one was a suzuki GT750 2 stroke. That was fast for its time... Kept on driving motorcycle ever since. Currently driving a Yamaha TDM850.

F.S.1.E TO KETTLE WOW!!! Magic

31 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

beast of a bike. had a nasty kickback sometimes from the kickstarter (hence the word kick?)

gt750.jpg

Remember those kickbacks, nasty they were indeed

3 minutes ago, stuhan said:

F.S.1.E TO KETTLE WOW!!! Magic

yeah... that was a little reckless. First time I opened the throttle on the kettle too fast. My ass shifted from front to back on the buddyseat ?. Much later I tried top-speed: 215km/h! Scary as hell. Sold it after 1.5years and bought a yamaha xs650se. Big change

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, highonthai said:

Man that was a engine! Sounded bitchen, but a bitch to sync the carbs. As you well know.

A real bitch refitting the pots on those 6 pistons without breaking a ring?

• Haha 1

The European market didn't see almost any of those models sadly. We still have dedicated race track days for the 2 stroke only brigade and the 4 stroke pre 2000 era which are always well attended so your Aermacchi would have fitted right in. The Brits are a nation full of bike enthusiasts working away in garden sheds to keep old bikes alive and running.

I'm not in the same league as Kenneth when it comes to Harleys but here is my blast from the past (still in my garage in the Uk for sunny days only ) . Bought this 1983 FLH 3 years ago for $8000 1958669348_bike10.thumb.jpg.a6f8df6552de96b236b3d5546c5f947c.jpg

• Like 2

Bet you enjoyed doing your own valve adjustment too on that CBX. A friend of mine had the later fully fairing model ( D1 I think we called it in UK) which just added to the fun as most bits had to come off to even see the top for the engine. Taking engines like those to a shop was out of the question with the "by the hour" rates they charged. I can see by the fact it's in your garage that prices were probably the same if not more in your neck of the woods.  Having said that there is something very satisfying about working on your bike and knowing it inside out, something few people appreciate anymore.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

yeah... that was a little reckless. First time I opened the throttle on the kettle too fast. My ass shifted from front to back on the buddyseat ?. Much later I tried top-speed: 215km/h! Scary as hell. Sold it after 1.5years and bought a yamaha xs650se. Big change

Good choice,XS650 was a very reliable bike,not like the XS500 what a pig of a bike.

17 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

The European market didn't see almost any of those models sadly. We still have dedicated race track days for the 2 stroke only brigade and the 4 stroke pre 2000 era which are always well attended so your Aermacchi would have fitted right in. The Brits are a nation full of bike enthusiasts working away in garden sheds to keep old bikes alive and running.

I'm not in the same league as Kenneth when it comes to Harleys but here is my blast from the past (still in my garage in the Uk for sunny days only ) . Bought this 1983 FLH 3 years ago for $8000 1958669348_bike10.thumb.jpg.a6f8df6552de96b236b3d5546c5f947c.jpg

Just amazing, never sell it.?

• Thanks 1

XS650SE wasn't that the US styled one which was amongst the early factory Cruiser styled bikes in the UK. I remember them coming in back/silver and a sort of Brownish red. As Stuhan said they were a hell of a lot different to the Kettle and much more reliable than the short lived XS500 

• Like 1