MOTORCYCLES PAST AND PRESENT

stuhan

I have loved motorcycles since i was 14yrs old,i can still remember my dad's old motorbikes in our garden.i became a motorcycle mechanic at 16  [1972]  and continued until 1984 in the u.k. i was lucky to have worked on the great machines from that era, i quit for two reasons. 1st: i loved the simplicity of 2 strokes and early 4 strokes, but 2 stroke days were numbered and simplicity was doomed.Everything was changing 4 strokes had taken over, fuel injection,electronic ignition ,fuel and ignition computers ect ect, the fun had sadly gone from hands on to hands off and diagnostic equipment and rolling roads took over no more road tests, i lost interest. 2nd : I returned to full time uni studies in human biology,microbiology and a bit of genetics,after that i started  with the NHS  then moved to work in Guernsey island until moving to Thailand 2017. I am still a lover of motorcycles today and intend to  start collecting some old 2 & 4 strokers i often see advertised in Thailand in a year or so when finances and other commitments permit.

So if anyone has a love of motorcycles on here, please post your stories,comments,photo's ect.

One of my favorites,i serviced many of these and built new out of the crate.

Suzuki 125cc horizontal twin [stinger] 2 stroke

FB_IMG_1521261182991.jpg

• Like 3

A few more you may remember?

My first new bike. Honda SL125cc  1973 4 stroke S.O.H.C

Kawasaki z650cc  circa 1980 4 stroke 4 cyl D.O.H.C

Yamaha RD400 circa 1981 2 stroke twin

My first scooter odd one this. Lambretta cometa 75cc 1971 2 stroke auto oil injection.

More coming soon.

8338.jpg

FB_IMG_1522303830927.jpg

FB_IMG_1522067372784.jpg

FB_IMG_1522396452606.jpg

• Like 1

Your post takes me back to my youth, I was just too young for the British bike era so grew up with the likes of the KH250 Kawasaki, RD 250 Yamaha , Z650 C1 (think yours is a B1 maybe) .

I counted up owning 48 bikes over the years and even now trundle about on a 21 year old Kawasaki 175 Boss which keeps me tinkering with the spanners when not riding around the local countryside. 

I only wish I could have imported my Buell as the road in Isaan would have been perfect for a blast . 

Thanks stuhan, Happy memories trident.thumb.jpeg.d3843fa364e37341c7c73e5a41cb4f32.jpegboss.thumb.jpg.ea5dd25866aafcc0c4e4037b53d6f8ff.jpgbuell.thumb.jpeg.eb7e1cb02a368d3ee5fee380192156f7.jpeg

Edited by gazmo16
dual photo
  • Like 1

Me and my American buddy have been trying to link up with any other expats in Sakon Nakon province for rides out(or even just a meet up and a beer) but with no success.

Maybe its my 175cc Boss that puts them off as I cant afford a 1200cc BMW to go blasting about on sadly. 

• Like 1

An oldie here !

My dad being held on the bike by his grandfather circa 1931 .

The bike is a local built ( Shipley, West Yorkshire)  Scott Motorcycle , probably a 480cc,  500cc or 600cc Scott Squirrel. Very popular for hill climb events and achieved some success in the TT races.

The company went into liquidation in 1950 but was acquired by some enthusiasts and started again in Birmingham with the original spares from the Shipley factory. New models were also created but the writing was on the wall and after a last attempt in the late 60’s early 70’s with the George Silk Scott the doors were finally closed around 1978.

The early “ lessons “ given by my great grandfather to my father proved successful and he went on to own several motorcycles although preferred Norton.

549FB5A2-A641-4CF9-B980-D3988C461DF9.jpeg.c7fdd6bb22d0d9d736e3c1ac68f15be6.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't thought about a Silk motorcycle in over 40 plus years until you mentioned George Silk Scott. I vaguely remember seeing a couple at the Earls Court Bike Show before they moved it all up to Birmingham. 

My dream bike was a John Player Norton until the day I actually rode one and realised it would be my early demise on a road instead of a race track 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

An oldie here !

My dad being held on the bike by his grandfather circa 1931 .

The bike is a local built ( Shipley, West Yorkshire)  Scott Motorcycle , probably a 480cc,  500cc or 600cc Scott Squirrel. Very popular for hill climb events and achieved some success in the TT races.

The company went into liquidation in 1950 but was acquired by some enthusiasts and started again in Birmingham with the original spares from the Shipley factory. New models were also created but the writing was on the wall and after a last attempt in the late 60’s early 70’s with the George Silk Scott the doors were finally closed around 1978.

The early “ lessons “ given by my great grandfather to my father proved successful and he went on to own several motorcycles although preferred Norton.

549FB5A2-A641-4CF9-B980-D3988C461DF9.jpeg.c7fdd6bb22d0d9d736e3c1ac68f15be6.jpeg

Excellent story thanks

1 hour ago, gazmo16 said:

Your post takes me back to my youth, I was just too young for the British bike era so grew up with the likes of the KH250 Kawasaki, RD 250 Yamaha , Z650 C1 (think yours is a B1 maybe) .

I counted up owning 48 bikes over the years and even now trundle about on a 21 year old Kawasaki 175 Boss which keeps me tinkering with the spanners when not riding around the local countryside. 

I only wish I could have imported my Buell as the road in Isaan would have been perfect for a blast . 

Thanks stuhan, Happy memories trident.thumb.jpeg.d3843fa364e37341c7c73e5a41cb4f32.jpegboss.thumb.jpg.ea5dd25866aafcc0c4e4037b53d6f8ff.jpgbuell.thumb.jpeg.eb7e1cb02a368d3ee5fee380192156f7.jpeg

My mate had a Buell,swore by it, sadly dropped it and bent the frame,still has it. The KH & RD'S were great bikes and very fast for their time.I was lucky to have a Suzuki 250 hustler,CX 500 Honda,a 1960's CB125T twin Honda, a Suzuki 250cc ram air,among others and had a go at road racing with a Aermacchi 350cc.

Great photo's

Great talking about these memories again. Ta

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

I haven't thought about a Silk motorcycle in over 40 plus years until you mentioned George Silk Scott. I vaguely remember seeing a couple at the Earls Court Bike Show before they moved it all up to Birmingham. 

My dream bike was a John Player Norton until the day I actually rode one and realised it would be my early demise on a road instead of a race track 

I still remember those J.P.S Nortons

My older brother had a Royal Enfield Continental as his first bike when it was a 250cc limit for learners, I had a Bantam Bushman and D14/4  but went towards the Japanese as they started every time, didn't ruin my parents drive with oil leaks and after watching my other brother spend most weekends stripping down his Triumph Trident T150V and taking the head down to Hastings motorcycles to be worked on.

The Craziest 2 stroke I ever tried was my brothers KH750 H2,wickedly fast but an accident waiting to happen.

As for your friends Buell he has been  lucky as the frame is the fuel tank on them and the oil is stored in the swing arm, weird eh !

Edited by gazmo16
Grammar
  • Like 1

Great photo, think that's a Scott Squirrel he is sitting on . Very good solid bikes but not cheap so he was obviously a serious motorcyclist , many hill climbers had to settle for a BSA or Greeves. 

• Like 1

I love my motorcycles. I have ridden around north America for years. Sine 1985 to be exact. Got a small Yamaha 550cc maxim to learn how to ride and get my drivers license with. Now I have a k1200lt BMW and a Ultra glide low Harley. Ride every chance i get. If you like music about riding, check on you tube, Bonfire Hearts by James Blount. I listen to this and sing this song almost every day because it is so spot on in describing what a motorcycle does for me. Hope you enjoy it! 

• Like 2

I wonder if Buell still makes bikes? They were marketed in North America by Harley Davidson. But after a few years, i haven't seen any on the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I wonder if Buell still makes bikes? They were marketed in North America by Harley Davidson. But after a few years, i haven't seen any on the road.

I'm not sure on that one,i will try to find out

3 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I love my motorcycles. I have ridden around north America for years. Sine 1985 to be exact. Got a small Yamaha 550cc maxim to learn how to ride and get my drivers license with. Now I have a k1200lt BMW and a Ultra glide low Harley. Ride every chance i get. If you like music about riding, check on you tube, Bonfire Hearts by James Blount. I listen to this and sing this song almost every day because it is so spot on in describing what a motorcycle does for me. Hope you enjoy it! 

I will give it a listen cheers

6 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

My older brother had a Royal Enfield Continental as his first bike when it was a 250cc limit for learners, I had a Bantam Bushman and D14/4  but went towards the Japanese as they started every time, didn't ruin my parents drive with oil leaks and after watching my other brother spend most weekends stripping down his Triumph Trident T150V and taking the head down to Hastings motorcycles to be worked on.

The Craziest 2 stroke I ever tried was my brothers KH750 H2,wickedly fast but an accident waiting to happen.

As for your friends Buell he has been  lucky as the frame is the fuel tank on them and the oil is stored in the swing arm, weird eh !

Kawasaki made some great 2 strokes, Yamaha's L/C 350 was a flyer,after 6000 revs it took off'.For early 4 strokes 1970's Honda'S CBX 1000 did it for me,a beast of a machine.Remember i took a cocky apprentice out for a test run on one,nearly shxt himself almost in tears, but had a small weak set of forks and lethal for tank slapping,many a hairy moment.?

6 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

Great photo, think that's a Scott Squirrel he is sitting on . Very good solid bikes but not cheap so he was obviously a serious motorcyclist , many hill climbers had to settle for a BSA or Greeves. 

I learned how to ride on a Greeves

7 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

When my mate told me about where the fuel and oil were stored i didn't believe him,but genius and a great idea.

Photo of an Aermacchi / Harley Davidson 350 sprint similar to my own i raced in the 70's except mine was green, it sadly could'nt compete with the Yamaha 250 & 350 T.D.1.C'S at the time.Mine locked up during a race and i could'nt afford the repairs.

Aermacchi-Sprint-350-Racer-Right-Side.jpg

These are some more photo's from my own collection, i have a lot.

FB_IMG_1521348643999.jpg

FB_IMG_1521373453035.jpg

FB_IMG_1521424782556.jpg

FB_IMG_1521430767086.jpg

FB_IMG_1521503214290.jpg

FB_IMG_1521520694758.jpg

FB_IMG_1521623078774.jpg

FB_IMG_1521521581527.jpg

FB_IMG_1521523342660.jpg

FB_IMG_1521524179318.jpg

FB_IMG_1521524329525 (2).jpg

FB_IMG_1521536045183.jpg