Despite Covid-19 Phuket Sandbox continues at least 2 weeks

Thaiger

With Covid-19 infections surging in Phuket, many have questioned if the Phuket Sandbox scheme would continue or be shut down as the original provisions of the Sandbox said that thresholds like over 90 infections a week could trigger revisions or cancellation of the programme. Now the Deputy Director of the Department of Disease Control has confirmed that, despite the rise in cases, the Phuket Sandbox will continue for at least 2 more weeks. The Deputy Director met with Phuket officials today and said that in considering the 3 criteria originally set out – if infections rise about 90 per week, […]

The post Despite Covid-19 Phuket Sandbox continues at least 2 weeks appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"the Phuket Sandbox will continue for at least 2 more weeks" - What do you know the same amount of time you are in semi-quarantine. Nothing prospective tourists loves more than uncertainty when choosing a destination. If Phuket thinks the numbers are anemic now, just wait till the news comes out the island is only guaranteed to be open for the next two weeks. 

• Like 4

From my exps in LOS for over a decade I would say no way would Thais give up this income stream..

Profit before safety--hence the fake 7 days limit now and "pushing" tourists to 5 sealed route where

you have to spend money to get to ...as all of the hoops and rules and zones all come back to......profit.

Closing the sandbox also leads to two fates the Thais will never allow...Losing Face and losing money..

You dirty filthy farangs can stay away from the mainland and thai society, but spend your $ at Covid Isles..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Give it up,the sandbox schemes have not worked stop dreaming, just shut them down and move on with vaccinations and get in control of the covid situation,should never have started them in the first place,make area's safe to live then after a good time slot of no new cases you can consider opening again,safety first which you have partly ignored so far in favor of money. Yes it's a bummer to have to shut everything down and lose business,but that's down to this virus and that's unfortunate but  that's the way it is everywhere. Trying to open to early is a mistake as you can see from others who tried and now covid is spreading again in their countries.

• Like 4

conspiracy theory's everywhere. On the bright side the flu no longer exists. I'm vaccinated but wear a mask for social responsibility, why not others do the same, So many mask less people and around police boxes, I dont understand.... wait yes I do   LACK OF RESPECT

What difference will  it make if the sandbox is cancelled or not, apart from saving or losing face?

None - the square root of diddly-squat.

It won't affect the numbers arriving (or not arriving), and it won't affect the vast majority of people in Phuket.

It's been a dismal failure, which was inevitable, attracting a tenth of the predicted worst case numbers.  Why waste time and effort cancelling something which isn't happening?

• Like 2

I am so surprised that the sandbox has not been the roaring success that the TAT, the PM, and the Phuket Governor said it would be.  I mean - when was the last time that a Thai Government initiative or program turned out to not work, or not go ahead.  I cannot remember a single one.   ?

• Haha 3

Well bugger me sideways! 

The authorities stating the Sandbox is good to go for two weeks.

I can see everyone in the the UK and elsewhere, being filled with confidence and scrambling like loonies, to book their over priced flights, over priced SHA+ hotels, book their over priced PCR tests, grapple with the intricacies of obtaining a COE and paying for additional rip off insurance. All this to "holiday" on an island which is closed up with little or nothing to do. Not even a beer after 9pm.

Absolutely brilliant messaging!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Well bugger me sideways! 

The authorities stating the Sandbox is good to go for two weeks.

I can see everyone in the the UK and elsewhere, being filled with confidence and scrambling like loonies, to book their over priced flights, over priced SHA+ hotels, book their over priced PCR tests, grapple with the intricacies of obtaining a COE and paying for additional rip off insurance. All this to "holiday" on an island which is closed up with little or nothing to do. Not even a beer after 9pm.

Absolutely brilliant messaging!

Exactly my thinking.

It's a good time to use fake news law against the officials. Make a good use of it

Edited by AlexPTY