Any other Thai chefs/cooks/foodies here?

ThaiFoodGuy

Just checking if anyone else has a passion for Thai food, regardless of living in Thailand? I'm Canadian and live in Canada, and I own a Thai food business, and I try to learn and experiment as much as I can, while also trying to preserve the history or origins of dishes I make.

I've got a pretty extensive collection of Thai cookbooks as well!

For me, one of the dishes I miss the most and it encapsulates what I love about simple Thai food done perfectly, is a delicious bowl of Khao Tom or Jok. As easy as it would be for me to recreate, nothing is quite like eating some Khao Tom Pla or Moo in a little stall or restaurant with a shitty plastic chair and a dirty bottle of white pepper always within reach. I love it and miss it dearly.

image0.jpeg

• Like 2

I like to cook using Thai ingredients but I just wing it. Give me a recipe and I'm liable to start changing it even before I've done it once. I hear you about the difference between cooking a dish here and eating one there. Just can't do any better than "close enough". (I see you have the pok pok book. I've wanted to go there a few times while visiting Portland but there's this other Thai restaurant (Farmhouse Kitchen) a few blocks away that is (arguably) the most legit Thai food in the US. I just can't justify not eating there...)

• Like 2

I've never heard of him but he certainly seems qualified :p I'll check it out - possibly even see if I could visit next time I'm in CM.

3 hours ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I've never heard of him but he certainly seems qualified :p I'll check it out - possibly even see if I could visit next time I'm in CM.

Hit me up in CM  I used to be a Chef for Rimping and Im a Yank....brings some Timbits for a brotha!

• Like 1

My wife is a brilliant cook there isn't nothing she cant do her style is Asian fusion since the lockdowns started we do a lot more cooking at home and she makes all our own bread.

I'll have to buy her a new oven this week the old one is kapput after 10 years she misses her oven,

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

13 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

brings some Timbits for a brotha!

You might not appreciate the method I have to use to smuggle them in, but at least they'll still be warm!

How long have you been in CM? I'm supposed to be there this October but plans obviously might change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

she makes all our own bread

That actually seems to be a huge trend here, as well. I know at least a dozen people who bought bread maker machines or sour dough starters or this or that in the last 17 months. Did she learn from the You Tubes or did she already know how to make bread pre-pandemic?

8 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

That actually seems to be a huge trend here, as well. I know at least a dozen people who bought bread maker machines or sour dough starters or this or that in the last 17 months. Did she learn from the You Tubes or did she already know how to make bread pre-pandemic?

She had never made bread in her life, it all started after buying dodgy bread from 7/11 after a couple of days was mouldy so then she learn from YT we bought a few gadgets she likes making Italian breads.

Right now Im eating Pate she made, liver and bacon with red wine 

I'll post some photo's tomorrow 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

You might not appreciate the method I have to use to smuggle them in, but at least they'll still be warm!

How long have you been in CM? I'm supposed to be there this October but plans obviously might change.

Maybe see you over there..came home to Vote the Stable Genius out and got stuck in this H*ellhole ..trying to get back as well...so maybe I can drive up and get some of those timbits since they are opening borders

Im not a big lover of Doughnuts she make these and sells to her friends these are not just any old doughnut she buys some Japanese milk Hokido 

207263108_10160113224796874_5307252478543257089_n.jpg

208650770_10160113224856874_618304194624857116_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

I just love making bread, and many other things, i experiment many times.

Last night i made my own spring rolls, i make pita bread wraps, pies, cakes, plus many more.

Trial and error, sometimes things turn out good, sometimes not so good, but i just keep trying till i get things right.

I find my wife loves my Indian curries, she is happy to try different things, one of her favourites is chilli con carni.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

I just love making bread, and many other things, i experiment many times.

Last night i made my own spring rolls, i make pita bread wraps, pies, cakes, plus many more.

Trial and error, sometimes things turn out good, sometimes not so good, but i just keep trying till i get things right.

I find my wife loves my Indian curries, she is happy to try different things, one of her favourites is chilli con carni.

I think with my wife Baking has turned into a bit of a hobby

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I think with my wife Baking has turned into a bit of a hobby

Just the same with me mate, gets quite addictive.

• Like 1

Thai food, for years now i have watched my wife chopping away the outer skin of bamboo shoots.

She then messes about, preserves it, bags it, stores it, never really thought about eating it, until yesterday.

She had been preparing some bamboo shoots on sunday, yesterday i thought wonder what its like.

So on the internet found a recipe for bamboo shoots mushroom soup, gave it a go, we had some with our dinner, wife was very happy that i did it, and surprisingly it was damned good.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:37 AM, colinneil said:

Just the same with me mate, gets quite addictive.

Have a go at a pad krappow pizza....... I am not a fan of pizzas but I tried this one down here and it was delicious.

42 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Have a go at a pad krappow pizza....... I am not a fan of pizzas but I tried this one down here and it was delicious.

Did you not take a photo? I'll let my daughter know about that one she owns 4 pizza and kebab joints in England always looking for new ideas,

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thai food, for years now i have watched my wife chopping away the outer skin of bamboo shoots.

She then messes about, preserves it, bags it, stores it, never really thought about eating it, until yesterday.

She had been preparing some bamboo shoots on sunday, yesterday i thought wonder what its like.

So on the internet found a recipe for bamboo shoots mushroom soup, gave it a go, we had some with our dinner, wife was very happy that i did it, and surprisingly it was damned good.

I like a big bowls of soup piping hot, My wife make this the other day omelette and chicken soup

223666618_10160170070696874_8891726847321474061_n.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Did you not take a photo? I'll let my daughter know about that one she owns 4 pizza and kebab joints in England always looking for new ideas,

I didn't, but I will try and find it in the FB page of the restaurant concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It tasted as good as it looks...

Thaiger.jpg