Media outlets call on Thai government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression

Thaiger

So the PM has enforced a law to stop spreading fake news as he say's its disrespecting the Thai Public. Yet he himself is spreading fake news by telling his people that the latest delta wave will be over in 2-3 weeks. Him and his Health minister have both been spreading fake news by telling the Thai people that his vaccine prevention is going well when everyone is saying its rising, is this fake news from the pair of them. Has the Governor of Phuket spread lie's or fake news when at the beginning of the Sandpit he said " If numbers rise above a dangerous number he will immediatly close the sandbox " fake or lie. 

• Like 2

So the PM has enforced a law to stop spreading fake news as he say's its disrespecting the Thai Public. Yet he himself is spreading fake news by telling his people that the latest delta wave will be over in 2-3 weeks. Him and his Health minister have both been spreading fake news by telling the Thai people that his vaccine prevention is going well when everyone is saying its rising, is this fake news from the pair of them. Has the Governor of Phuket spread lie's or fake news when at the beginning of the Sandpit he said " If numbers rise above a dangerous number he will immediatly close the sandbox " fake or lie. 

He will keep raising the bar so he doesn't have to shut down the sandbox 

Some things need to be disrespected and hated

At least in the US you can say pretty much anything about politicians short of an actual threat 

• Like 1

Who is to decide what is basic scientific concepts. It seems even the scientific community is challenged to agree on much of!

After all, if the scientific method was the best option to dispel fake news, why in this age do we still have people thinking and even funding research into proving the earth is flat and not a globe.

2+2=4 is decided by number theory. 

If people support a 2+2=5 hypothesis, which is disproven by number theory, it is not a matter of science, it is a matter of stupidity and excessive rethoric.

Following your "Who is to decide"statatement, the same should be applicable to other things. Why don't we talk about nazism here? Or prostitution? Or other risky topics? Besides, there are still people who sustain that Holocaust never happened, or that it would be no problem to engage with activities with underages. Why don't you set a NCC - Nazi Controversial Corner or a PCC - Prostitution Controversial Corner? Or whatever similar? Who is to decide what is the correct topic?

Your moderator side should decide, if he knows how. And this is the problem here, for COVID and, in general, for any STEM topic. You do not know how to decide. I doubt you have a serious STEM espert in your crew, haven't you? It is evident, since here stuff like the Covid Controversial Corners and similar (although under moderation) are allowed. For what? To feed pointless discussions? That stuff makes only one thing: noise.

You know, it is not our duty as scientists to enforce a theory to others, because once it has been proven and reached consensus, it is self-enforceable by mere evidence and provided data.

Instead, it would be the duty of policymakers (in this very case, that means your Moderator side) to enforce it.

But when policymakers fail to understand that 2+2=4 is the correct fact to support and enforce, and 2+2=5 is the wrong opinion to remove, perhaps either those policymakers should learn the consensus, or resign. Simple as it.

So the answer to your question here:

why in this age do we still have people thinking and even funding research into proving the earth is flat and not a globe.

Is:

Because policymakers are allowing people to think about that, and in some case even encouraging them, and not think about educate them correctly.

Science is at risk not because of few scientists who debate about if 2 or 3 doses should be good or not, or if it is better Pzifer or Sinovac. Science is at risk because idiots with zero background on the topic are allowed by other idiots (journalists, politicians, activists, etc...) to say their pointless opinions, and such opinion are mistaken for facts.

In the current debate over COVID-19, IMHO there should not be a public debate at all. The matter is ongoing, and the arguments are so complex to the general public that it is not even worth to discuss with them, because they do not have enough knowledge to understand it. General public should get only the laymen version, and behave accordingly. There was no debate when vaccinations for school were mandatory decades ago, and there should not be one too now.

But the blame cannot go only on the general public, of course.

As well as novaxxers (and especially that criminal of Wakefield, who started all with his nonsense on measles and autism), I also despise those doctors or scientists with a profound lack of the minimum skills in communication of science who goes on TV or on the newspapers alarming people or pontificating on stuff they have brief knowledge (e.g. epidemiologists who alks about virology, and vice versa). 

Let the proper science communicators (not necessarily journos) interact and bridge between science, public, and policymakers. Everyone else should. Simply. Shut. Up.

And I have nothing to say further on this point.

Edited by uanmak
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well said, uanmak.  Well said.

Well said ?????  Nope, the biggest load of bigoted crap I read in quite a while!

... It is evident, since here stuff like the Covid Controversial Corners and similar (although under moderation) are allowed. For what? To feed pointless discussions? That stuff makes only one thing: noise....

Let the proper science communicators (not necessarily journos) interact and bridge between science, public, and policymakers. Everyone else should. Simply. Shut. Up.

And I have nothing to say further on this point.

I hope indeed that you have nothing to say further when it is of the same intolerant and ignorant caliber...

I hope indeed that you have nothing to say further when it is of the same intolerant and ignorant caliber...

That is the reason I put him on my ignore list a few days back

You know, it is not our duty as scientists to enforce a theory to others, because once it has been proven and reached consensus, it is self-enforceable by mere evidence and provided data.

I will say it is always nice to see someone passionate in their beliefs. From the common, uneducated man you seem to believe I am, then let me say this. Try not to make the mistake in assuming the person you are talking to is uneducated. Unlike me, others may get offended by it. Not everyone likes to brag about their achievements and experience on a social media site simply for a debate.

My own final point. Your own statement above highlights the words "proven and reached consensus". It is would seem some Scientists still disagree over a range of points around Covid-19 and treatment and hence would seem to not support a consensus viewpoint. Unfortunately, they also seem to have some of the loudest voices shouting over what most reasonable Scientists, in my personal opinion, are saying and I personally feel their peers need to do more to help understand the consensus viewpoint. Peer to peer pressure is a very effective way to do this, especially if the Scientists respect each other in their community.

Thanks for the debate

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, AussieBob said:

I tend to agree - but where is the line drawn, and by who.

Maybe this brings it better to the point

<deleted non-approved LINK>

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, TheLynx555 said:

It doesn't help matters that they are not allowing access to ivermectin, probably the most promising treatment and prophylaxis available for Covid-19. The Thai FDA went so far as to FALSELY declare ivermectin purely a veterinarian drug. What the hell are they taking about??!!? I consider that a particularly vile form of false news. Ivermectin has been used for decades in humans. It's safe and cheap. It could have a fast and dramatic effect on infection rates and lower hospitalizations. We've seen it work in numerous countries around the world. Ignoring and/or censoring effective treatment options such as ivermectin has cost many thousands of lives. But hey, at least stocks of major vaccine companies are at all time highs and the billionaire class has exponentially increased their net worth. I suppose those are more important. :-(

My friend recently recovered from CV in Oman with ivermectin. The hospital told her it wouldn't help, she recovered within days and then the doctors were coming to her room asking her about it! Unreal ... 

When has any health cure ever been 1. Free? 2. Literally forced on the entire world population. 

People need to wake up. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, resetamy said:

My friend recently recovered from CV in Oman with ivermectin. The hospital told her it wouldn't help, she recovered within days and then the doctors were coming to her room asking her about it! Unreal ... 

When has any health cure ever been 1. Free? 2. Literally forced on the entire world population. 

People need to wake up. 

It is not about any covid medicines it is about transforming a country into a poor 4th world dictatorship country!

41 minutes ago, resetamy said:

People need to wake up. 

Not likely. If she did, she would have been the first documented case in the world to have a recovery through the use of a parasite treatment . I bet igt got rid of her ringworm though.  Perhaps your friend recovered because of the other treatment provided. or maybe, someone else used a magic spell. Are you sure no one   sent USD$100 to the Kenneth Copeland Ministries? He made Covid19 go away when he blew it away. This was documented and it is on youtube.

• Haha 1

Journalism is not what i would call this profession here. We all see these ridiculous headlines like 'COVID situation will be resolved within 2-4 weeks' (that story changed the next day to read 4-6 weeks) and there was NO pushback or questioning. 'Current scientific trends' was the citation given and I didn't see or hear any journalist reporting what that 'data' was.

The red bull guy 'Boss' got his case closed and if it wasn't for foreign journalists and foreign newspapers, we wouldn't have had the foggiest idea about it all.

Amarin & Thairath purport to be "news stations" yet they followed the 'Nong Chompoo' case like they were private dicks trying to solve the case by visiting witches and famous monks. They made minor celebrities out of the whole damn town.

To summize, 'journalists' here are part of the problem. Up your game and do what your suppposed to do first. Maybe then, we'll get to truth with a better informed public.

11 minutes ago, Ubon2530 said:

Journalism is not what i would call this profession here. We all see these ridiculous headlines like 'COVID situation will be resolved within 2-4 weeks' (that story changed the next day to read 4-6 weeks) and there was NO pushback or questioning. 'Current scientific trends' was the citation given and I didn't see or hear any journalist reporting what that 'data' was.

The red bull guy 'Boss' got his case closed and if it wasn't for foreign journalists and foreign newspapers, we wouldn't have had the foggiest idea about it all.

Amarin & Thairath purport to be "news stations" yet they followed the 'Nong Chompoo' case like they were private dicks trying to solve the case by visiting witches and famous monks. They made minor celebrities out of the whole damn town.

To summize, 'journalists' here are part of the problem. Up your game and do what your suppposed to do first. Maybe then, we'll get to truth with a better informed public.

Spot on. Look what happened to certain "real" journalists when they reported facts

20 minutes ago, Ubon2530 said:

Journalism is not what i would call this profession here.

Anywhere. They are all toadies. They write what the boss wants. Sod reality. Dont believe the press. Its all doctored to suit them.

I think Thaiger and Thaiger talk can folliw how the other news outlets reacting including the Thai news outlets in english. But if you shut down even the the talks about that as we just noticed then Thaiger is part of the problem and not like the other news outlets that unite at the moment to save the country and tge constitutional right in Thailand of free speech 

This is the time for Thaiger where they are and what they do that Thailand will not transformed into a poor bankrupt dictatorship country. The press clubs are already on that including with the embassies to have discussions about that. 

maybe we should stop talking about all this icky stuff and just talk about Thai Uni girls. 

that's what I'm going to do. 

also complain about Hua Hin. 

43 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

maybe we should stop talking about all this icky stuff and just talk about Thai Uni girls. 

that's what I'm going to do. 

also complain about Hua Hin. 

Your only gonna put your icky stuff all over them so.... stock up on kleenex

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, DontacoXII said:

Thin line between freedom of expression and slander, disrespect, and hate. 

It certainly is, and it’s something the whole world is struggling to find a balance. It doesn’t matter if it’s a dictatorial government or the liberal left billionaires in Silicon Valley who banned Trump from social media platforms. It’s exactly the same. The word is censorship.  

On 7/29/2021 at 4:33 AM, highonthai said:

Me too!

As a member here on Thaiger Talk, I'd Like to know their official stance on this subject.

Yes this is something I’ve enquired about. It would be unfortunate if Thaiger Talk data was intercepted resulting in email addresses, IP addresses and device IMEI numbers were lost. Ultimately, it’s very hard to be anonymous on the internet unless you have the backing of government !! 

22 hours ago, gummy said:

That is the reason I put him on my ignore list a few days back

List? I don’t have a list @gummy, just a single person. Maybe I’m already on your list ??