Media outlets call on Thai government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression

Thaiger

Thai media organisations have issued a joint statement calling on the government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression imposed under the Emergency Decree. Thai PBS World reports that the statement was issued yesterday by the National Press Council of Thailand, the News Broadcast Council of Thailand, the Thai Journalists Association, the Online News Providers Association, the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, and the National Union of Journalists of Thailand. The statement urges the government to remove restrictions being imposed on freedom of expression by both media outlets and the general public under the emergency decree. The decree was recently extended […]

The post Media outlets call on Thai government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

It doesn't help matters that they are not allowing access to ivermectin, probably the most promising treatment and prophylaxis available for Covid-19. The Thai FDA went so far as to FALSELY declare ivermectin purely a veterinarian drug. What the hell are they taking about??!!? I consider that a particularly vile form of false news. Ivermectin has been used for decades in humans. It's safe and cheap. It could have a fast and dramatic effect on infection rates and lower hospitalizations. We've seen it work in numerous countries around the world. Ignoring and/or censoring effective treatment options such as ivermectin has cost many thousands of lives. But hey, at least stocks of major vaccine companies are at all time highs and the billionaire class has exponentially increased their net worth. I suppose those are more important. :-(

• Like 4

Quote: The PM has responded to the media statement by ordering authorities to enforce the restrictions against all media outlets, websites, and media personalities who continue to spread “fake news”. Media organisations say the instruction is an attempt to silence both the public and the media, accusing the government of failing to communicate with the people, which they say is an example of the PM’s mismanagement.

There is the answer. Fake news here can be construed of the media saying mismanagement. Odd how the you know who twist and turn everything to suit and silence to their needs no matter if wrong or right.

• Like 2

I don't agree with the laws, however I just can't see the Government agreeing to repeal these as it would open the floodgates and they would loose a large amount of Face, the seemingly ever present factor in determining things.

The reality is the decree, together with the Computer Crimes Act and other defamation laws, offers a high level of protection from any challenge and potential dissenters. Why would a Government choose to voluntarily give that up?

As a Moderator on a Forum with people from across the Globe, it becomes a significant challenge, especially when you remember that the level of freedom to express one's own thoughts can vary greatly depending on where you reside. Often Forum users will use a Forum to express an opinion that their own country wouldn't allow them to do, believing they are protected by a perceived anonymity of an online presence.

Perhaps we all need to at least temper the manner of our criticism so it too doesn't become hidden or blocked. Having the ability to say something is at least better than having no ability to say anything!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am even surprised we are able to see and read this article.

Me too!

As a member here on Thaiger Talk, I'd Like to know their official stance on this subject.

• Like 3

I don't agree with the laws, however I just can't see the Government agreeing to repeal these as it would open the floodgates and they would loose a large amount of Face, the seemingly ever present factor in determining things.

The reality is the decree, together with the Computer Crimes Act and other defamation laws, offers a high level of protection from any challenge and potential dissenters. Why would a Government choose to voluntarily give that up?

As a Moderator on a Forum with people from across the Globe, it becomes a significant challenge, especially when you remember that the level of freedom to express one's own thoughts can vary greatly depending on where you reside. Often Forum users will use a Forum to express an opinion that their own country wouldn't allow them to do, believing they are protected by a perceived anonymity of an online presence.

Perhaps we all need to at least temper the manner of our criticism so it too doesn't become hidden or blocked. Having the ability to say something is at least better than having no ability to say anything!

Agree. Why loosen the grip. Also we all need to look at what we post as we can see it as toeing the line, but in actuality they can see it as crossed the line.

• Like 1

Agree. Why loosen the grip. Also we all need to look at what we post as we can see it as toeing the line, but in actuality they can see it as crossed the line.

It is not an easy thing to do as we all value the strengths of our own opinions! Also, the laws defining the line are so unclear. What one person sees, another person interprets another way...hence the challenge. But we just need to keep working on it to maximise expression whilst minimising risk.

Members employing a level of self-discipline on their own posts is always helpful and encouraged. It is just simply that as humans, as the passion rises, the self-discipline tends to drop off! It is just who we are! ?

• Like 1

Me too!

As a member here on Thaiger Talk, I'd Like to know their official stance on this subject.

Basically, speaking now as a Moderator, the rules and guidelines of the forum give a measure of direction. There have been some recent updates (24th July) to clarify some rules around fake news. This was an early attempt to address some very recent changes in Thai law. But it is only a start and not a solution.

The most basic challenge is in defining what is a member's personally formed, personal opinion and what is conveying, innocently or not, fake news. After all, it is the easiest thing in the world to claim something is fake. For some reason the proof of responsibility to prove otherwise, falls on the member writing the original post and not the member claiming it as fake!

• Like 2

It is not an easy thing to do as we all value the strengths of our own opinions! Also, the laws defining the line are so unclear. What one person sees, another person interprets another way...hence the challenge. But we just need to keep working on it to maximise expression whilst minimising risk.

Members employing a level of self-discipline on their own posts is always helpful and encouraged. It is just simply that as humans, as the passion rises, the self-discipline tends to drop off! It is just who we are! ?

Agree. Even after I post, sometimes I go back and say oh boy, that is questionable. For hot sensitive issues I try not to get into the conversation now, but sometimes I do. Human.

• Like 1

The most basic challenge is in defining what is a member's personally formed, personal opinion and what is conveying, innocently or not, fake news.

A) if 99.9% says 2+2=4, and 0.1% says 2+2=5, the second can be a personal opinion, but it is basically a fake statement with no grounds for its dissemination or endorsement.

B) if 0.1% says 2+2=4, and 99.1% says 2+2=5, the second is still a personal opinion dangerously shared by the majority, but basically it remains false.

Really does this represent a challenge? Maybe it is sufficient to put a little effort in understanding basic scientific concepts. And enforce them.

Really does this represent a challenge? Maybe it is sufficient to put a little effort in understanding basic scientific concepts. And enforce them.

Back to my personal opinion and not as a Moderator!

I disagree it is so simple to define, but I do like your examples. ?

The term and incorrect use of the term "Fake News" has gone beyond standard scientific thinking, exploding in use as it is pushed by media and politicians inappropriate use of the term. Who is to decide what is basic scientific concepts. It seems even the scientific community is challenged to agree on much of!

After all, if the scientific method was the best option to dispel fake news, why in this age do we still have people thinking and even funding research into proving the earth is flat and not a globe. If I recall my history correctly, Aristotle was dispelling this theory based on using a scientific method in the 300's BC!

Is your way the best way for the forum to manage it. I don't know. But I will pass it onto the Moderator side of my brain to consider. It has already overridden my personal opinion side a few times already and so it may again. ?

• Haha 1

I just hope that those in the media promoting this freedom of expression stance are still alive in 3 months time as clearly the the Elite and their government puppets are not used to having the truth told.

Is there a published list of the "Media Outlets" calling on the Thai government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression?

I can't seem to find one. I'm curious.

Is there a published list of the "Media Outlets" calling on the Thai government to lift restrictions on freedom of expression?

I can't seem to find one. I'm curious.

Probably already deleted by the mobsters in charge

I am even surprised we are able to see and read this article.

So we do have freedom of expression after all, in forums that no one reads. Our expressions here will have a great impact on LOS.

Basically, speaking now as a Moderator, the rules and guidelines of the forum give a measure of direction. There have been some recent updates (24th July) to clarify some rules around fake news. This was an early attempt to address some very recent changes in Thai law. But it is only a start and not a solution.

The most basic challenge is in defining what is a member's personally formed, personal opinion and what is conveying, innocently or not, fake news. After all, it is the easiest thing in the world to claim something is fake. For some reason the proof of responsibility to prove otherwise, falls on the member writing the original post and not the member claiming it as fake!

The term "Fake News" is no longer a definition, but a label to be applied to anyone you disagree with. This tactic is also being employed with the term "Fact Check".

And these terms are now being used by governments and msm media moderators to censor debate

We should always Accept Less and Question More 

• Like 1

So we do have freedom of expression after all, in forums that no one reads. Our expressions here will have a great impact on LOS.

Don't count or rely on that one. Still need to care about how you express your freedom. An example can always be made of some foreigner if someone gets their underpants all bent up their crack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thin line between freedom of expression and slander, disrespect, and hate. 

Some things need to be disrespected and hated