Private clinics in Bangkok enlisted to help with home isolation Covid patients

Thaiger

Privately-run clinics in Bangkok are being enlisted to help treat and monitor patients in the Covid-19 “green” group – those who are home isolating with mild or no symptoms. According to a Bangkok Post report, the National Health Security Office is inviting the clinics to sign up to the programme to increase the number of facilities helping home isolation patients. Dr Jadej Thammathach-Aree from the NHSO says the office will meet with interested clinics on August 3, where the programme will be explained in greater detail, including the services provided during home isolation, how funds are distributed to clinics, and […]

The post Private clinics in Bangkok enlisted to help with home isolation Covid patients appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Aren't these private clinics actually owned and run by doctors on their days off and night time or daytime when off for a second income?

Anyone unable to carry out home isolation can opt to be admitted to a community isolation programme or hospitel.

They can "opt", but whether they'll be admitted and get a bed is a different matter.

There are reportedly some 20,000 waiting for a quarantine bed in Bangkok who can't self-isolate at home.

Some will die before a bed is available; some will recover and their quarantine will end before a bed becomes available.

All, though, will be infectious and that's 20,000 more known cases spreading the virus in Bangkok.

The government can't wave a magic wand and conjure up 20,000 more beds, but it could order the private sector to provide support instead of "inviting" it to do so - but it hasn't.

It could also encourage those from the provinces to go home, under supervision, to where there isn't a shortage of beds and facilities, by legislating to ensure that if they leave Bangkok they don't lose their rights to  redundancy and / or a reduced hours salary - but it hasn't.

Aren't these private clinics actually owned and run by doctors on their days off for a second income?

It depends on the size of the clinic - I think they're talking about decent sized clinics that have in-patients, rather than those run by a doctor after-hours giving out aspirin and popping zits.

If I recall correctly, 60% of the hospital beds in Bangkok are in private hospitals - 15,000 beds.

It depends on the size of the clinic - I think they're talking about decent sized clinics that have in-patients, rather than those run by a doctor after-hours giving out aspirin and popping zits.

If I recall correctly, 60% of the hospital beds in Bangkok are in private hospitals - 15,000 beds.

Very lucrative

• Like 1

Anyone else have the problem of after replying to a poster, the posters name is not in his/her post box above? Anonymous as it looks and cannot tell who you replied to?

Anyone else have the problem of after replying to a poster, the posters name is not in his/her post box above? Anonymous as it looks and cannot tell who you replied to?

Yes, @HCC - everybody!  There's a thread in the "Support Desk" forum.

• Like 1

Very lucrative

One I know flies up from Bangkok to Loei every Saturday, and he's packed.  Some are seriously good, although it's pure luck - one I went to turned out to be a brain surgeon, another a top US qualified urologist. She didn't charge me anything despite seeing her for at least ten minutes as she explained things, and when I asked the cashier why there was no charge she told me they only charged for prescriptions, so seeing the doctor was free as she made enough from the hospital.

• Like 1

One I know flies up from Bangkok to Loei every Saturday, and he's packed.  Some are seriously good, although it's pure luck - one I went to turned out to be a brain surgeon, another a top US qualified urologist. She didn't charge me anything despite seeing her for at least ten minutes as she explained things, and when I asked the cashier why there was no charge she told me they only charged for prescriptions, so seeing the doctor was free as she made enough from the hospital.

Those prescriptions must have a kickback from the company as well. Like advertising as the people will go by them straight from the pharmacy after. My dentist doesn't charge me for looking and poking around. But me and the family have used them for 20 yrs or so.