Driver blames GPS for durian truck wedged under overpass

Thaiger

We’ve all had GPS mishaps, either we followed and it leads us astray or we misunderstood and messed up a turn. If you haven’t, you’ve probably never driven in Bangkok. But one durian delivery truck driver is finding herself at the centre of ridicule after blaming her GPS for her truck getting wedged in an impressive wheelie under an overpass in Mueng Chon Buri yesterday. The driver had a bulging load of durians cresting over her tall delivery truck as she drove in Baan Suan yesterday, en route to deliver the giant fruits from farms in Rayong to Surat Thani […]

The post Driver blames GPS for durian truck wedged under overpass appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

We’ve all had GPS mishaps, either we followed and it leads us astray or we misunderstood and messed up a turn. If you haven’t, you’ve probably never driven in Bangkok. But one durian delivery truck driver is finding herself at the centre of ridicule after blaming her GPS for her truck getting wedged in an impressive wheelie under an overpass in Mueng Chon Buri yesterday. The driver had a bulging load of durians cresting over her tall delivery truck as she drove in Baan Suan yesterday, en route to deliver the giant fruits from farms in Rayong to Surat Thani […]

The post Driver blames GPS for durian truck wedged under overpass appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I hope she was wearing her seatbelt.  At least she didn't get crushed to death by her load of durians.  That would really stink.

• Haha 2

Read the full story

My life depends on GPS.  I may try to drive a truck loaded with durian under an overpass that is too low some day.  Likely not.  At some point you must accept some personal responsibility.  I guess you can try to save face and blame something else.  Unless your face is smashed all over the windshield. No one can save your face then.  I love durian.  Some durian may have been harmed in this news report.

• Haha 1

Read the full story

Durian fruit likely wont compromise the structural integrity of the bridge but it looks like it has been whacked and scraped multiple times already.   Trucks and motor bikes piled high with goods in Thailand ain't got nothin' on Vietnam.   At least drivers in Thailand don't constantly honk their horns. 

Without GPS how would I know how far it is the the green? or over the water? or to the overpass?

Aim for the pink.. It has gotten our species this far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver did'nt read the road ahead,does'nt know her vehicles height and probably no height warning on the bridge,so yes i agree blame the GPS.?

• Haha 1

No the truck is not over loaded. Did i see backed up, if so we all back up on major roads. Normal in this country. Normal is 4 cows and a small one in a pick up, 18 pigs in  a mini truck, 5 workers on top of a truck loaded over 14 feet as I got pulled over for a mattress sticking 1 foot over the edge of the truck, love this country

Yes it is overload even with strong springs on the rear axle. Why do they continue to use pick up trucks! reason: Can be driven with ordinary car permit, Basic insurance, higher speeds and weight regulations. Plus they are ignored by the police create traffic dangers, by driving in the fast lane, because the steering and balance are effected if they travel in the nearside lane and have to change directions sharply.  

Moderator, I am unable to find a private way to contact you.  I had posted a funny and non-offensive post to this story and it was removed.  Can you please contact me and let me know why so that I do not violate any forum rules in the future.  Thank you.

Moderator, I am unable to find a private way to contact you.  I had posted a funny and non-offensive post to this story and it was removed.  Can you please contact me and let me know why so that I do not violate any forum rules in the future.  Thank you.

Never mind, wrong website ;-)  thanks!

• Haha 2

Typical Thai overloading, sell the GPS and buy a tape measure 

To be fair to the Thai driver, that bridge is a bit low to allow for their usual loading heights. 

My experience of Thais is they are incapable of reading a map. They do not seem to have the intelligence, hence they need GPS, but GPS might not warn of bridge heights, and would there be a facility on GPS to input the height of the vehicle?

2 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

They do not seem to have the intelligence

Or perhaps they've not been taught, how to read a map.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Faraday said:

They need to be taught how to drive first, before even picking up a map.....

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Faraday said:
3 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

They do not seem to have the intelligence

I'd agree with you Faraday.

From what I can see all the standard education system teaches them regarding geography (and history) is from the biased nationalistic view of all the bordering countries they were at war with centuries ago.
I'd say that most Thais can tell you the countries bordering Thailand due to that, and that's quite often as far as it goes.

Nothing to do with intelligence, but more down to the elite running the country discouraging them to think for themselves.
A few years before my wife bought an iPad (making it easy for everyone to use GPS) she learnt to read a map book and I encouraged her to navigate when we went on trips.

I remember years ago being in Chiang Mai and showing a tuk tuk driver a map of how to get to a hotel I was going to. His eyes glazed over, it was obvious he didn't understand the concept of a map. He more than likely had never seen one before. Not necessarily to do with intelligence.

• Like 1