Planning for “Pattaya Move On” reopening scheme continues

Thaiger

UN Believable.  That they are still moving forward on this and other schemes to attract tourists shows how far out of touch with reality they are.  Cases in Phuket went over the number stated for closure of the Sandbox, so they just moved the number up and will keep the Sandbox open - they are so used to getting what they want that they just move the goalposts. 

In Australia, the only new cases for over a year has come from people arriving or returning from overseas. The current wave of infections in Sydney can all be traced back to a few people. But they were vaccinated and they tested negative and they stayed in isolation - but after they left quarantine they tested positive and they had infected others. 

I am beginning to think that the only real answer to stop new cases is to stop international travel - period. If a country cannot do that, and in Thailand it is basically impossible, then they at some time will have to just accept that a large number of people are going to get the infection, vaccinated or not, and the outcomes will just have to be managed.  This is a lose/lose situation all over the world - new case numbers are going up and up - they cannot stop it unless they lockdown the entire country.  But inviting in new tourists, in the middle of a wave of new infections, is just ridiculous. 

Actually any Thai military ruled government since 1932 has always used their favourite fall back in times of trouble of murdering Thai people. People say that can not happen now because of the storm it will cause due to social media but it did not stop the current PM in his role of Commander-in-Chief allowing the slaughter of an unarmed nurse tending the injured in a Wat in 2010 , so I am not too hopeful that these criminals will not adopt the same approach.

Actually any Thai military ruled government since 1932 has always used their favourite fall back in times of trouble of murdering Thai people. People say that can not happen now because of the storm it will cause due to social media but it did not stop the current PM in his role of Commander-in-Chief allowing the slaughter of an unarmed nurse tending the injured in a Wat in 2010 , so I am not too hopeful that these criminals will not adopt the same approach.

You are probably going to be right Gummy - unlike before when the military would leave after a while, this lot has decided to stay and set up the political system such that it favours them staying a long time.  But they are so unpopular, and extremely unlikely to win a lot of votes even in 2023 which is due under 2 years away, so will they change things again and/or stage a coup coup??  

• Like 3

You are probably going to be right Gummy - unlike before when the military would leave after a while, this lot has decided to stay and set up the political system such that it favours them staying a long time.  But they are so unpopular, and extremely unlikely to win a lot of votes even in 2023 which is due under 2 years away, so will they change things again and/or stage a coup coup??  

Well the problem is this corrupt bunch have ensured that it would take a 75% majority to remove those fat sloths from the Senate. These of course are mostly military or/and with their tongues up someone's backside. Given that Even though this is administration is hated , I can not see such a landslide, assuming it was a fair and just election. Fair and just is of course another doubt when you have these corrupt people around. A coup of course will put in place even more of a draconian military government doing exactly what they are put in to do . It would also stop the planned 2023 election as they will deem it postponed to protect Thais from themselves !!  I think we all know who will order that .

So to summarise they are so unpopular odds on it will be another coup to avoid the embarrassment of a defeated government at an election and also to put in place possibly even a more evil and depraved  regime. Will the Thais then finally have the will nationwide to rise up and dispose of these animals ? That's the big question. But perhaps with Thaksin's support and organisational skills let's hope they achieve it this time.

Well the problem is this corrupt bunch have ensured that it would take a 75% majority to remove those fat sloths from the Senate. These of course are mostly military or/and with their tongues up someone's backside. Given that Even though this is administration is hated , I can not see such a landslide, assuming it was a fair and just election. Fair and just is of course another doubt when you have these corrupt people around. A coup of course will put in place even more of a draconian military government doing exactly what they are put in to do . It would also stop the planned 2023 election as they will deem it postponed to protect Thais from themselves !!  I think we all know who will order that .

So to summarise they are so unpopular odds on it will be another coup to avoid the embarrassment of a defeated government at an election and also to put in place possibly even a more evil and depraved  regime. Will the Thais then finally have the will nationwide to rise up and dispose of these animals ? That's the big question. But perhaps with Thaksin's support and organisational skills let's hope they achieve it this time.

There is always hope mate - and I do hope you are right. 

20 hours ago, Stardust said:

But where will the money come from for the opening? And who will open the businesses who are permanently closed and for rent or sale? Most businesses are already overloaded with debts. There is a big liquidity problem in Thaland and the highest private household debts of whole Asia. Many businesses needed the extension for the loan holiday but who provides the loans for the restart? Thailand is locked since 1.5 years and burnt a lot of the money from loans already.

I and the entire world knew this already 1 year ago, and what they do... stupid stupid stupid.. work really on the problem make it go away.. no we need to open and makenit worse and cost only more and more debts.. their own fault.. debts re now a lot bigger because of stupid doing and greediness... now they have a more bigger mess and keep on giving bars and restaurants hope.. while they know them well it does not cone back for the next 3 year at least.. I already said it 1 year ago and I say it again...

On 7/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, bushav8r said:

Perhaps Carry On would be a better name.   But then again the Carry On movies were quite funny.  The desperate attempt to reopen Thailand for tourism is becoming sad.  I hope they can manage to get a handle on things.  I think it will take longer than "2 or 3 weeks - 4 at the most".

Agreed @bushav8r  perhaps the report was “lost in translation” and what was meant is it will reopen in 2x3x4 = 24 weeks or 5 -6 months, 

3 hours ago, Paco said:

I and the entire world knew this already 1 year ago, and what they do... stupid stupid stupid.. work really on the problem make it go away.. no we need to open and makenit worse and cost only more and more debts.. their own fault.. debts re now a lot bigger because of stupid doing and greediness... now they have a more bigger mess and keep on giving bars and restaurants hope.. while they know them well it does not cone back for the next 3 year at least.. I already said it 1 year ago and I say it again...

Yes your assessment is spot on. Thailand and many other countries were praised for the lockdown phase. Locking down (doing less) was always going to be the easy bit. Opening up and getting the economy moving again is the difficult and expensive bit.  It needs quality data. Quality medical advice. Quality strategic thinking. Quality planning and innovation and plenty of money. With the exception of plenty of money, It’s going to be tough going for Thailand.  

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 7:32 AM, BookShe said:

when the going gets stupid, the stupid get going. 

Do you understand you are going to be covid positive at some point? It’s a virus like the flu and everyone will get it many times. It is not a crime nor a sin to have covid. It is however a crime and a sin to take away people’s natural right to provide for themselves. Too many people base their actions on fear, not understanding about a subject, and emotions. Bottom line. People die always. Also bottom line covid is not a significant contributor to those deaths.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DontacoXII said:

Do you understand you are going to be covid positive at some point? It’s a virus like the flu and everyone will get it many times. It is not a crime nor a sin to have covid. It is however a crime and a sin to take away people’s natural right to provide for themselves. Too many people base their actions on fear, not understanding about a subject, and emotions. Bottom line. People die always. Also bottom line covid is not a significant contributor to those deaths.

Planting false hopes so people reopen, spending money on inventories in case a couple of tourists shows up is cruel. I'm not going to argue whether Covid is real or not because you already made up your mind in this regard. However, if you wanna spend your last savings on these hopes and TAT plans, I will be the last to stop you.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:30 PM, Paco said:

I am so pissed with these 'I want money' ideas they playing with everyone's life what give them the right to do that, if we say something, or do something we go in jail what a joke, the entire government they should wipe out. Disgusting bunch of clowns ? ???

What gives them that right @Paco? They voted them in don’t forget. If the people hadn’t sold their soul for 500 baht come voting time then a different lot would be in. Not saying they would be any better, but they do have a vote, no matter how skewed it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

I agree, most of us will all get Covid at some point in our life. But better to get it when vaccinated than unvaccinated. It’s not a crime or a sin to get Covid, but it’s highly dangerous if you get it aged 65+ and unvaccinated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree, most of us will all get Covid at some point in our life. But better to get it when vaccinated than unvaccinated. It’s not a crime or a sin to get Covid, but it’s highly dangerous if you get it aged 65+ and unvaccinated. 

It’s not a crime or a sin to get Covid, but it’s highly dangerous if you get it aged 65+ and unvaccinated. 

Because at that age many elderly are already suffering from multiple underlying conditions. Also obesity or a challenged immune-system (at whatever age) is a serious risk-enhancing factor. Bottom line > if you are a healthy person there is no reason to live in fear for catching covid.  

17 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

It’s not a crime or a sin to get Covid, but it’s highly dangerous if you get it aged 65+ and unvaccinated. 

Because at that age many elderly are already suffering from multiple underlying conditions. Also obesity or a challenged immune-system (at whatever age) is a serious risk-enhancing factor. Bottom line > if you are a healthy person there is no reason to live in fear for catching covid.  

Well I am 70+ and of course not vaccinated.  Naturally if a vaccination ever becomes available to myself and those like me living up here I will have a vaccination so long it is one of the better ones. However I don't live in fear of covid no more than I live in fear of flu, getting killed on the road or anything else . On the basis of probability I would most suffer from quite different debilitating complaints/health problems than covid. Living in fear of anything is a conditioned physiological response that varies from person to person.

23 hours ago, gummy said:

The Americans call it 'collateral damage.' At least Prayut wasnt present.

10 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

Too many people base their actions on fear, not understanding about a subject, and emotions.

You're right there - and you're a prime example!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

Bottom line > if you are a healthy person there is no reason to live in fear for catching covid.  

Who's suggesting they should (or do) "live in fear"?

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, AussieBob said:

UN Believable.  That they are still moving forward on this and other schemes to attract tourists shows how far out of touch with reality they are.  Cases in Phuket went over the number stated for closure of the Sandbox, so they just moved the number up and will keep the Sandbox open - they are so used to getting what they want that they just move the goalposts. 

In Australia, the only new cases for over a year has come from people arriving or returning from overseas. The current wave of infections in Sydney can all be traced back to a few people. But they were vaccinated and they tested negative and they stayed in isolation - but after they left quarantine they tested positive and they had infected others. 

I am beginning to think that the only real answer to stop new cases is to stop international travel - period. If a country cannot do that, and in Thailand it is basically impossible, then they at some time will have to just accept that a large number of people are going to get the infection, vaccinated or not, and the outcomes will just have to be managed.  This is a lose/lose situation all over the world - new case numbers are going up and up - they cannot stop it unless they lockdown the entire country.  But inviting in new tourists, in the middle of a wave of new infections, is just ridiculous. 

Bob here in the UK we did do just that. Our numbers were low then we were hit with the third wave delta variant we knew where and how the virus arrived but before we stopped international travel from India it was too late and our numbers trippled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Bob here in the UK we did do just that. Our numbers were low then we were hit with the third wave delta variant we knew where and how the virus arrived but before we stopped international travel from India it was too late and our numbers trippled.

I am beginning to think that all international travel should have been stopped until the virus was over, and I reckon if there is another pandemic in the future, that is what will happen. For the benefit of a few (those that travel) the world has been exposed again and again and again, to a virus that clearly knows no boundaries.  Why do billions of people have to be again exposed to such a virus/infection, just for the benefit of a few million people who travel internationally.  The modern travel industry is huge and important - but I can see the argument that the majority of the people of the world who do not travel, are now paying the price and why should they.

7 hours ago, gummy said:

Well I am 70+ and of course not vaccinated.

It's all your fault. You should have been stopped aging a long time ago. :))))))

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

Yes, that’s all true and in agreement.
Although, I know plenty of obese 40 somethings and they also succumb to the virus. I also know many people who have had the virus in the 30 to 60 age group. Some have reported mild headaches, while others have said it’s the worst they have felt and not died !! One of my neighbours had it and was sick for 7 days with terrible headaches and pain in his arms and legs. Two weeks later he was still off work and heavily fatigued. So although you may not die, it’s still a nasty period of illness for many and some carry “long Covid” for many months later. 

• Like 1

Soidog we in the UK are now inoculating under 30s and teens we are 80% fully inoculated but we still have numbers climbing due to the younger 1s not having there 1st shot. Its not scare mongering and they have began turning up everywhere and everyday where Injection Clinics have been set up from Porta Cabins to super markets. 

On 7/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, AussieBob said:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, it's a "walking dead" because all the businesses & entertainment venues are closed for over 4 months now. But still, lots of farangs are still arriving on a monthly basis on a STV since Oct 1, 2020 & are wandering around like nothing else to do with their lives. Also, very slow on mass vaccination.

Edited by ace035
  • Cool 1