Jump to content

Foreigners helping the poor Thai people,which Thais help their countrymen?


Recommended Posts

,

I have seen many Vloggers showing some Thai people in sad situations,through the pandemic,or just how their lives have always been.These show foreigners organising food handouts.I only know of one Thai charity in Hua Hin area.https://sangfoundation.org.

Maybe Good Morning,could do a report on these Thai charities for each region,then people can contact and donate money to them.Also be interesting to know which rich Thai companies etc.help disadvantaged Thais.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well why should people need to advertise the good deeds they do for others or expect others to do so? Surely if you help others it is for your own reasons rather than how you can impress your good deeds on others, or should be in my book. Many of us live in quiet poor villages I suspect and have been living there for years yet we need no praise for helping those in poorer circumstances to our own and I think that is how it should . My view is that anybody who wants praise, contemplates receiving praise for the good deeds that they are doing is doing it for the wrong reasons.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thais will help their families first, then maybe their neighbours.

I have seen some Thai charities, but it is not common.

To be fair charities in the West are businesses. The chief executives were earning $800.000 ten years ago. Hence many western charities all over the world. 

"Do gooders usually do themselves a bit of good too."

John Wayne - Legend of the lost.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 6:57 PM, gummy said:

Well why should people need to advertise the good deeds they do for others or expect others to do so? Surely if you help others it is for your own reasons rather than how you can impress your good deeds on others, or should be in my book. Many of us live in quiet poor villages I suspect and have been living there for years yet we need no praise for helping those in poorer circumstances to our own and I think that is how it should . My view is that anybody who wants praise, contemplates receiving praise for the good deeds that they are doing is doing it for the wrong reasons.

When it first kicked off around where I live we had all these farang owned restaurants jumping on the bandwagon "Look at Us" handing out free meals to the poor people and plastering FB with photo's I always questioned their motives it never seemed genuine to me, more like a travelling circus,

When you looked into it they were doing it from donations my guess when the donations dried up they stopped the free food handouts, I dont see any of them doing it no more,

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

When it first kicked off around where I live we had all these farang owned restaurants jumping on the bandwagon "Look at Us" handing out free meals to the poor people and plastering FB with photo's I always questioned their motives it never seemed genuine to me, more like a travelling circus,

When you looked into it they were doing it from donations my guess when the donations dried up they stopped the free food handouts, I dont see any of them doing it no more,

Spot on with that one. The ones still helping people, and there are many Foreigners and Thais alike all over the country doing just that I suspect, are the ones that do it to help others without publicising it because they just want to help those worse off, unlike those you described who were doing it for their own selfish ends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 6:50 PM, beachwalker said:

,

I have seen many Vloggers showing some Thai people in sad situations,through the pandemic,or just how their lives have always been.These show foreigners organising food handouts.I only know of one Thai charity in Hua Hin area.https://sangfoundation.org.

Maybe Good Morning,could do a report on these Thai charities for each region,then people can contact and donate money to them.Also be interesting to know which rich Thai companies etc.help disadvantaged Thais.

You can contact this guy who is in Hua Hin mmaybe he can help you

www.facebook.com/jonnythereissomethinghappening/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 6:57 PM, gummy said:

Well why should people need to advertise the good deeds they do for others or expect others to do so? Surely if you help others it is for your own reasons rather than how you can impress your good deeds on others, or should be in my book. Many of us live in quiet poor villages I suspect and have been living there for years yet we need no praise for helping those in poorer circumstances to our own and I think that is how it should . My view is that anybody who wants praise, contemplates receiving praise for the good deeds that they are doing is doing it for the wrong reasons.

Yes, it's been said you should pray in your prayer closet. On the other hand, if we tell others what we're doing, it may inspire others to do the same. I'm personally giving 10,000 baht per month to a Thai family, and if others can help, I hope they will.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

When it first kicked off around where I live we had all these farang owned restaurants jumping on the bandwagon "Look at Us" handing out free meals to the poor people and plastering FB with photo's I always questioned their motives it never seemed genuine to me, more like a travelling circus,

When you looked into it they were doing it from donations my guess when the donations dried up they stopped the free food handouts, I dont see any of them doing it no more,

We were doing this, Thai "families" got involved when they found out how much money and rice was being donated. before we knew it, we were being told to drop off sacks of rice to the police station and to other people who DON"T need it. They took control but not before we ordered a lorry full of rice with the last of the money that was in the account, so they could not take it. At this point in time we all had to tell people that we can't be sure what was happening with donations any longer and its up to them if they keep sending money.

I must also add that Thai people refused to get in line with Burmese people for food handouts. That blew my mind

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite interesting reading posts on this thread.

Last year when covid kicked off, my wife and self decided we would help a few poor families around here.

We have our own grown rice, and  a small rice mill, so i milled some rice, put it in plastic bags approx five ks in each bag.

 

Wife took the bags handed them out to some poor famiies near her school, we did it once but never again.

Few days after she handed out the rice, 1 morning 2 men outside our gate, demanding we give them more rice, as what wife gave them was finished. What !!!!!

Saying you are rich people give us more now, sod that, we helped a few families, and are now getting abuse because we wont give them more.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

and are now getting abuse because we wont give them more.

You can give them more, but it won't be food. How dare them. Tell them to go love their honest elected Junta government and get it there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

When it first kicked off around where I live we had all these farang owned restaurants jumping on the bandwagon "Look at Us" handing out free meals to the poor people and plastering FB with photo's I always questioned their motives it never seemed genuine to me, more like a travelling circus,

When you looked into it they were doing it from donations my guess when the donations dried up they stopped the free food handouts, I dont see any of them doing it no more,

Where are you located? HH? Sounds like aspiring to be volunteer tourist police in the future. Only there for false glory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

We were doing this, Thai "families" got involved when they found out how much money and rice was being donated. before we knew it, we were being told to drop off sacks of rice to the police station and to other people who DON"T need it. They took control but not before we ordered a lorry full of rice with the last of the money that was in the account, so they could not take it. At this point in time we all had to tell people that we can't be sure what was happening with donations any longer and its up to them if they keep sending money.

I must also add that Thai people refused to get in line with Burmese people for food handouts. That blew my mind

Yeah, it is weird, but from my view many of he folk in lines do not look like they even need it. More like just to get something free and say they did. If not racist and with an uppity attitude, maybe they were scared of getting CV-19 from them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible charity is a cultural thing? In the US it is very common. And in times of tragedy people often pour there hearts out. And there are an impressive number of billions who have taken the pledge, and give back alot.

Here, there seem to be a very limited number of super rich who care, and have the consciousness to give back to society. From what I have seen, these so called hi-so types are a very unimpressive and stingy lot. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah, it is weird, but from my view many of he folk in lines do not look like they even need it. More like just to get something free and say they did. If not racist and with an uppity attitude, maybe they were scared of getting CV-19 from them?

Would they have to be wearing rags, and be all skin and bones to demonstrate to you that they are struggling to make ends meet, and are hungry? Honestly, what would it take? Frankly, your cynicism seems to know no bounds. If I were the type of person you are suggesting, would waiting in line for hours, in the hot sun really be an effective way to just get a free handout?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Is it possible charity is a cultural thing? In the US it is very common. And in times of tragedy people often pour there hearts out. And there are an impressive number of billions who have taken the pledge, and give back alot.

Here, there seem to be a very limited number of super rich who care, and have the consciousness to give back to society. From what I have seen, these so called hi-so types are a very unimpressive and stingy lot. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Quite interesting reading posts on this thread.

Last year when covid kicked off, my wife and self decided we would help a few poor families around here.

We have our own grown rice, and  a small rice mill, so i milled some rice, put it in plastic bags approx five ks in each bag.

Wife took the bags handed them out to some poor famiies near her school, we did it once but never again.

Few days after she handed out the rice, 1 morning 2 men outside our gate, demanding we give them more rice, as what wife gave them was finished. What !!!!!

Saying you are rich people give us more now, sod that, we helped a few families, and are now getting abuse because we wont give them more.

human character come in many forms...at any crisis the good, the bad and the ugly surfaces...its not unique to thailand...its unique to humans...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Would they have to be wearing rags, and be all skin and bones to demonstrate to you that they are struggling to make ends meet, and are hungry? Honestly, what would it take? Frankly, your cynicism seems to know no bounds. If I were the type of person you are suggesting, would waiting in line for hours, in the hot sun really be an effective way to just get a free handout?

Observation and pretty good judge of character and not just spouting off to demean all people that get into lines. Interesting to see them after they get the goods and walk to and how they act. Been in CM along time and can judge a lot. I have even seen Thai people after receiving the goods walking down the street and saying to other free food up there. One was giving ice cream out onetime. Then they go running. Even the wife who is Thai says from her own observations and agrees there are some who do that. Even have seen people pull up in nice cars and trucks go and clear out most items in cabinets here a few times. And the waiting here is not like being in the Sahara desert as is at manageable easily bearable times of the day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even have seen people pull up in nice cars and trucks go and clear out most items in cabinets here a few times.

Our mooban BodyCorp put a cabinet outside the main entrance and residents, mainly farang, filled it with all manner of goodies.  Emptied within hours they restocked it and one resident parked up 50m away and virtually hidden by a sign.  Caught our own security guards emptying the cabinet as soon as no vehicles passing thru the gate.  Cabinet long gone.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KaptainRob said:

Our mooban BodyCorp put a cabinet outside the main entrance and residents, mainly farang, filled it with all manner of goodies.  Emptied within hours they restocked it and one resident parked up 50m away and virtually hidden by a sign.  Caught our own security guards emptying the cabinet as soon as no vehicles passing thru the gate.  Cabinet long gone.

No different for people stealing from Church offertory boxes.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Our mooban BodyCorp put a cabinet outside the main entrance and residents, mainly farang, filled it with all manner of goodies.  Emptied within hours they restocked it and one resident parked up 50m away and virtually hidden by a sign.  Caught our own security guards emptying the cabinet as soon as no vehicles passing thru the gate.  Cabinet long gone.

Yep. One I saw hide behind a telephone booth until no cars and then ran and got, went back, and went back yet again until empty. This time I was running for exercise so was easily able to see it.. I actually saw several unloading them at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmacarelli said:

Here, there seem to be a very limited number of super rich who care, and have the consciousness to give back to society. From what I have seen, these so called hi-so types are a very unimpressive and stingy lot. 

I remember last year the PM had to ask the top richest Thai families to help donate cash lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use