A website dedicated to air safety has named the Top 10 Airlines in the world.

Andrew Reeve

672693207_Thaigernews.JPG.29a6913789f01f4ddea1eae61daa9f95.JPG

If you're on the fence about flying again, take a look at a new ranking of the world's top airlines.

AirlineRatings.com, a website dedicated to airline safety, has released its list of the “Top Airlines in the World,” which traditionally evaluates carriers based on safety, in-flight service, passenger comfort, and flight routes.

However, this year's standings have changed by new judging standards. For the first time, airlines are being evaluated in part based on their response to the global pandemic of Covid-19.
“Covid had two effects on the ratings,” said Geoffrey Thomas, Editor-in-Chief of AirlineRatings.com. “To be eligible, airlines had to be Covid-compliant to our criteria, and we removed profitability as a factor this year.”

Qatar Airways was chosen "Airline of the Year" by the website this year, taking the top spot.

According to the site's release, the Doha-based carrier won the top prize for cabin innovation, in-flight service, and "dedication and commitment to continue operating throughout the Covid pandemic."

Here’s the Top 10, following by each airline’s position last year:

1. Qatar Airways (9)

2. Air New Zealand (1)

3. Singapore Airlines (2)

4. Qantas (4)

5. Emirates (6)

6. Cathay Pacific (5)

7. Virgin Atlantic (7)

8. United Airlines (N/A)

9. EVA Air (8)

10. British Airways (17)

Source: Cnbc

• Like 2

Well I know airlines change, but my experience was I sued Qatar for my money back.

I still need to sue Viet Air for leaving me stranded in Saigon. No money returned.

British airways dropped us off in the UK after 4 hours night flight after a small cheese roll and a coffee for breakfast. All the food  they gave passengers was small and mean, and my seatback TV did not work. My seat would not recline, and when I told, they just walked away.

Etihad who were good, are now starving passengers so they can sell food from their expensive snack menu.

However Delta was good.

Emirates was good.

Anyone have good or bad experiences on airlines, I would be keen to read of them.

Edited by TobyAndrews
mistake

One may be forgiven for wondering why the 'local' airlines always feature high on Australian Geoffrey Thomas's listings. :classic_wink:

Singapore Airlines is however my favourite by a long shot.  Qantas way down the list - flight crews are A1, but everything else sucks, especially the arrogant often elderly cabin crews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

One may be forgiven for wondering why the 'local' airlines always feature high on Australian Geoffrey Thomas's listings. :classic_wink:

Singapore Airlines is however my favourite by a long shot.  Qantas way down the list - flight crews are A1, but everything else sucks, especially the arrogant often elderly cabin crews.

I have flown many times on Quantas but never fortunate enough to be on a flight where the flight crew sucks. All I can say is lucky you

3 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Anyone have good or bad experiences on airlines, I would be keen to read of them.

At a glance, for me up to now is:

Best service in business long haul: Air France (tied with Royal Brunei)
Best service in business short trip: Virgin Australia 

Best service in premium long haul: EVA Air
Best service in premium short trip: Air New Zealand (but I got it for free)

Best service in economy long haul: Turkish (I prefer it over Emirates)
Best service in economy short trip: Austrian and SriLankan
Best service in economy short trip (low cost): Easyjet (tied with the defunct flybe)

Worst service in economy long haul: Egyptair (I will never take this airline anymore)
Worst service in economy short trip: Alitalia, and all Italian airlines in general, plus JetAirways
Worst service in economy short trip (low cost): Jetstar Australia

I have flown a lot domestically and internationally, including to and from Thailand on all available airlines, and I can say without any doubt that they all suck. 

I can also say without any doubt that all of these airline ratings systems are about as unbiased as a mother and as rational as a rabid dog. They all get their 'support' from airlines and the travel industry.

The reality is that most people learn that there are only 3 real criterion when choosing an airline, and they are Price and Aeroplane and Pilots. 

The problem is that in order to get the best price it means sacrificing one or both of the other two. Some people are happy to do that and go for price, price, price.  But I would warn all that for the first year or so as the airlines return to full business, that number 2 and 3 are going to be far more important.  If I am in a plane that has a problem, I would want to have the best pilots flying a modern and well maintained plane. On that basis Qantas is number 1 for best Pilots - period.  Then it becomes which plane - what model and how old - and that varies from flight to flight. All of those top 10 are OK airlines, but they all have good and better planes and pilots. The best pilots in any company tend to fly the best planes - that is a good guide. 

• Like 1

The reality is that most people learn that there are only 3 real criterion when choosing an airline, and they are Price and Aeroplane and Pilots. 

Very true.

I usually shop (or shopped, before covid) for say, BKK to BNE on price AND schedule.  It's no good getting a cheap price and having to suffer an overnight stop or midnight arrivals.

On the above basis, AirAsiaX often won out hands down and we often flew Premium Economy for less than Thai or SIA economy.  AAX used near new aircraft and their most senior pilots and I never had a bad flight.

With the demise of AAX long haul likely not to be resurrected + financial difficulties, I will choose SIA regardless of price, until other carriers prove worthy, eg Thai.  I have my doubts they will survive and even before covid high fares and poor service usually put me off except in emergency.

Singapore Airlines [SIA] are well funded, well managed, and have a young fleet of well maintained aircraft.  Their cabin crew girls are pretty too!  

• Like 1

Best service in economy long haul: Turkish (I prefer it over Emirates)

I agree with that!  Travelling west from BKK I'd fly Turkish every time.  Fabulous service and extensive European network, the largest I believe. 

Emirates A380's I love but DXB can be a nightmare to transit.

Everyone would agree with you on Jetstar Australia, known in the industry as 'Onestar' ... simply 'orrible!

• Like 2

“The reality is that most people learn that there are only 3 real criterion when choosing an airline, and they are Price and Aeroplane and Pilots. “

@AussieBob You forgot the most important on for which all 3 above become mute ………. the Destination.

• Haha 2

Fly cattle class on any American airline in the US and you would cringe. 

Coming to Thailand, then EVA, Korean Air and JAL are very good. 

The middle eastern airlines I have found have schedules that are a pain, one flight always seem to have an inordinately long layover. 

I myself prefer EVA.

Cathay Pacific for me is the best of the lot.

Everything from Customer Service through to the Marco Polo FF (although it is subscription based). As a rule we fly Cathay PE to HKG, then onto Manila and the rewards are brilliant, pre covid we managed to accumulate enough points to upgrade to their business which at the time, was exceptional.

Cathay Econ is very good, 3-3-3 still I understand, along with good food, Crew and IFE.

EVA Premium is also excellent, although one of the seat rows on the 777 (Row 20 I think - may be wrong) doesn't have a window. however, the service and that part of the cabin is great. I stopped flying EVA Econ when they announced the 10 abreast in Econ at the cost of a toilet, and have since found PE to be the gateway drug into business class !

BA were also very helpful, often our flights from Manila used to be a bit tight getting into HKG, and on the 2 times we flew BA they were waiting for us and fast tracked the family through security, at the time BA had 2 flights ex HKG to LHR late at night fairly close to each other, so if you missed one they would bump you to the next one half an hour or so later. Tired planes and hard seats took the edge of it though but cannot fault the timetables.

Worst ever was SAA, absolute shower. I'd rather fly in the toilets of an Air India 747 than go with those shysters again.

Of the ME Airlines I like Gulf Air , but Emirates seem to have a better timetable and favourable layovers. Never done any of the others.

For local flights, Cebu Pacific offer some great deals from NAIA to BKK, the early morning flight out of Manila is handy and often quiet, and Air Asia has some stunning (female) cabin crew but seem to be a bit more expensive.

17 hours ago, Pongo said:

Cathay Pacific for me is the best of the lot.

Everything from Customer Service through to the Marco Polo FF (although it is subscription based). As a rule we fly Cathay PE to HKG, then onto Manila and the rewards are brilliant, pre covid we managed to accumulate enough points to upgrade to their business which at the time, was exceptional.

Cathay Econ is very good, 3-3-3 still I understand, along with good food, Crew and IFE.

I've tried to find suitable schedules with Cathay as I'd love to have flown with them due to their excellent record.  Alas, the routing via HKG to or from Aus/NZ never allowed and most flights were code-share anyway.  Cathays transit time of 60 minutes between connecting flights was too tight and I've heard sorry tales of pax being stranded for many hours if not overnight. 

I'm sure Cathay, like SIA, will be among the Asian survivors of the pandemic so I may get to try them, one day.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:15 PM, Pongo said:

For local flights, Cebu Pacific offer some great deals from NAIA to BKK, the early morning flight out of Manila is handy and often quiet, and Air Asia has some stunning (female) cabin crew but seem to be a bit more expensive.

How much are the girls asking for ? 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

672693207_Thaigernews.JPG.29a6913789f01f4ddea1eae61daa9f95.JPG

If you're on the fence about flying again, take a look at a new ranking of the world's top airlines.

AirlineRatings.com, a website dedicated to airline safety, has released its list of the “Top Airlines in the World,” which traditionally evaluates carriers based on safety, in-flight service, passenger comfort, and flight routes.

However, this year's standings have changed by new judging standards. For the first time, airlines are being evaluated in part based on their response to the global pandemic of Covid-19.
“Covid had two effects on the ratings,” said Geoffrey Thomas, Editor-in-Chief of AirlineRatings.com. “To be eligible, airlines had to be Covid-compliant to our criteria, and we removed profitability as a factor this year.”

Qatar Airways was chosen "Airline of the Year" by the website this year, taking the top spot.

According to the site's release, the Doha-based carrier won the top prize for cabin innovation, in-flight service, and "dedication and commitment to continue operating throughout the Covid pandemic."

Here’s the Top 10, following by each airline’s position last year:

1. Qatar Airways (9)

2. Air New Zealand (1)

3. Singapore Airlines (2)

4. Qantas (4)

5. Emirates (6)

6. Cathay Pacific (5)

7. Virgin Atlantic (7)

8. United Airlines (N/A)

9. EVA Air (8)

10. British Airways (17)

Source: Cnbc

Having flown 8/10 of the listed, BA would be the only one I would prefer to miss, The only airline I have flown which i would never fly agai is Spring out of China but I would also avoid Air China, I can't understand how BA is in front of China Air, easy on the similar level to EVA and far in front of BA

Quite rightly no mentioning of KLM < Royal Dutch Airlines >, with their absolutely atrocious in-flight and customer 'service'...

KLM in-flight service.png