HOME BREWING

stuhan

48 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Will start a 6L batch of apple cider today.

Where do you buy your apple juice, or do you process fresh apples?

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Where do you buy your apple juice, or do you process fresh apples?

Today i bought 100% apple juice from Tesco, my local store nearly always has promotions, today was 2 x 1L cartons for B99 so got 6 for B297. Just waiting for my yeast to arrive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Did anyone ever clear up if it is legal to brew alcohol at home? I ask because some people around my place brew lao khao but they have to have a license.

I only ask because they all know what everyone does around here.

Yes you can without worries, i suppose strictly speaking it's not legal but nobody cares as long as you don't sell it or distill it or huge amounts of it, in saying that Thai's make it, sell it to but they don't care.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Did anyone ever clear up if it is legal to brew alcohol at home? I ask because some people around my place brew lao khao but they have to have a license.

I only ask because they all know what everyone does around here.

I found this from 10 years ago, has it changed since? Anyone. I would like to start one up but around my place everyone gossips.

We have all seen Thais drinking their homemade rice wine at weddings or while relaxing in the countryside and the ubiquitous Bangkok corner side or rolling cart Yaa Dong sellers with containers of some concoction of herbs like ginseng, plaonoi, tree bark and vodka or whiskey. That is why expats and Thai nationals are always shocked when they find out that it is illegal to produce and/or sell alcohol in Thailand without a license. The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.

Do you have any questions about getting a Visa for travel/business/retiring/investing in Thailand? Please "ask the visa expert" from Sunbelt Asia here: Thaivisa.com - Ask the Visa Expert from Sunbelt Asia.

This information has been provided by Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd. Sunbelt Asia has been the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002.

You can contact Sunbelt Asia at (66)2-642-0213 or email us here. Please visit our website for more information on doing business, working, investing, traveling, owning real estate, or starting your own business in Thailand at www.sunbeltasiagroup.com. We are located at 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd., Floor 26, Bangkok, Thailand 10400 and can easily be reached by public transportation.

[sunbeltlegal][/sunbeltlegal]

14 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Yes you can without worries, i suppose strictly speaking it's not legal but nobody cares as long as you don't sell it or distill it or huge amounts of it, in saying that Thai's make it, sell it to but they don't care.

Yeah, I'll give it a miss, It's kinda like "can I overstay my visa in Thailand?"  I think it's illegal. but lots of people do it, just don't get caught.

edit---- (by the wrong cop or immigration police)

Edited by Thaidup
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

On 3/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, stuhan said:

Made a 5L batch of pineapple beer today, first time trying this s.g 1.038 290g of sugar o.g 1.062 and 5L of 100% Pineapple juice. Thought it would make a change and nice ice cold in these hot days we are having.

I did some pineapple last week and it was a very vigorous action, hydrometer predicting 9%. Tested with Alocometer before bottling and got 8%. Supped a litre of it last night with NO EFFECT whatsoever then or this morning!. Hmmmm.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

34 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

I did some pineapple last week and it was a very vigorous action, hydrometer predicting 9%. Tested with Alocometer before bottling and got 8%. Supped a litre of it last night with NO EFFECT whatsoever then or this morning!. Hmmmm.

Very strange, my pineapple beer had the same kind of effect as couple bots of Chang.

• Like 1

Hard apple juice cider, this is the strongest cider i have made so far ,i carbonated half of it. Bloody strong stuff at 8.5% drank 3 glasses watching snooker and was wrecked after, i will make this again for sure. Ready in 5 days tastes just like srumpy cider amazing and so easy to make,no sanitizing,no water,just juice,yeast,500g sugar,pectic enzyme and D.A.P. 5 day's later and English cider perfect ice cold in the garden.The carbonated bottles will clear more.

IMG_20220321_192935.thumb.jpg.5739d7f747abc06394e210db11e50fd5.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, Thaidup said:

I found this from 10 years ago, has it changed since? Anyone. I would like to start one up but around my place everyone gossips.

We have all seen Thais drinking their homemade rice wine at weddings or while relaxing in the countryside and the ubiquitous Bangkok corner side or rolling cart Yaa Dong sellers with containers of some concoction of herbs like ginseng, plaonoi, tree bark and vodka or whiskey. That is why expats and Thai nationals are always shocked when they find out that it is illegal to produce and/or sell alcohol in Thailand without a license. The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.

Do you have any questions about getting a Visa for travel/business/retiring/investing in Thailand? Please "ask the visa expert" from Sunbelt Asia here: Thaivisa.com - Ask the Visa Expert from Sunbelt Asia.

This information has been provided by Sunbelt Asia Co., Ltd. Sunbelt Asia has been the main sponsor of Thaivisa.com since 2002.

You can contact Sunbelt Asia at (66)2-642-0213 or email us here. Please visit our website for more information on doing business, working, investing, traveling, owning real estate, or starting your own business in Thailand at www.sunbeltasiagroup.com. We are located at 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd., Floor 26, Bangkok, Thailand 10400 and can easily be reached by public transportation.

Why make a big issue out of a very small hobby,it's been going on for cernturies it's nothing new and posting this is just not justified,we are not interested in this info it's uncalled for.

• Like 3

Bumper mango harvest again in our garden/land, so time for a mango wine,will need to pick another 5kg of these and store them all until they are ripe.

IMG_20220322_120134.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stuhan said:

Why make a big issue out of a very small hobby,it's been going on for cernturies it's nothing new and posting this is just not justified,we are not interested in this info it's uncalled for.

Sorry for your feelings about my post,but the underlying issue is that it is illegal to brew alcohol in Thailand without a license, and to skirt that point is being disingenuous to forum members living in Thailand.

This thread is a great educational portal for brewing your own beer etc, However I think it wise to advise expats that doing so in Thailand is illegal unless licensed, and to be caught unawares is not an excuse before the law.

Not making a big issue, just advising. There has been a lot of "issues" about farangs in Thailand and the immigration law over the last few years. and from my personal opinion, what you do at home is none of my beeswax.

But I will note, that Thai immigration police may be monitoring forums in Thailand.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:18 AM, stuhan said:

Hard apple cider 14hrs on the go doing ok. Next venture is an porter /stout beer. IMG_20220318_080758.thumb.jpg.211d3e92d9cfbf4014f4dff9abad1611.jpg

Beer, porter or stout all involves lots of mixing, straining and boiling and adding this that and the other. Your cider = juice, sugar & yeast and still gets you pi**ed! 

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, Thaidup said:

Waaaay off topic. Advertising?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 7:16 AM, stuhan said:

Hard apple juice cider, this is the strongest cider i have made so far ,i carbonated half of it. Bloody strong stuff at 8.5% drank 3 glasses watching snooker and was wrecked after, i will make this again for sure. Ready in 5 days tastes just like srumpy cider amazing and so easy to make,no sanitizing,no water,just juice,yeast,500g sugar,pectic enzyme and D.A.P. 5 day's later and English cider perfect ice cold in the garden.The carbonated bottles will clear more.

IMG_20220321_192935.thumb.jpg.5739d7f747abc06394e210db11e50fd5.jpg

Went to Makro today and bought 6 litres of 100% FRUIT juice 'Apple'. Got it home and it is 65% apple, 35% grape. Still, I'll give it a go. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:09 AM, WilliamG said:

Waaaay off topic. Advertising?

Hi WilliamG, Please don't cut/edit my post and insinuate that I am "advertising". As stated in my post after asking if it is legal in Thailand to "brew", and not getting an answer, I did a search on the internet and posted the whole unedited paragraph from the first source I found.

I have nothing against home brewing and I was interested in doing myself at home in my home in Thailand however I just wanted to make sure that if the local police ever "popped in" that I was not doing anything illegal.

My dad homebrewed in Australia as did I with kits we could buy from Coles or Woolies infact a home brewed ginger beer is one of favorite drinks(filtered of all the lumpy stuff)🙂.

My asking that question is simply a personal predicament requirement, and I felt that in good faith I should share what I found, so that the thread members who may be living in Thailand have that info too.

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

As stated in my post after asking if it is legal in Thailand to "brew", and not getting an answer

Thaidup, you did get an answer, but in all fairness nobody is interested in what you are saying or else you may have got more answers.

I am sure we all thank you for thinking of the rest of us well being, but this is one of the threads where there is no animosity untill now at least.

If you have something positive to say I am sure we would all love to hear it but at the moment we are not hearing it. Feel free to bypass this thread if you don't think that you cannot glean any information from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

If you have something positive to say I am sure we would all love to hear it but at the moment we are not hearing it. Feel free to bypass this thread if you don't think that you cannot glean any information from it.

Make sure your containers are as clean as possible, bleach is good. and for a lower alc/vol content try cutting back on the sugar.

Have a friend with a Baileys Irish cream recipes if you wish to pm me. 🙂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Hi WilliamG, Please don't cut/edit my post and insinuate that I am "advertising". As stated in my post after asking if it is legal in Thailand to "brew", and not getting an answer, I did a search on the internet and posted the whole unedited paragraph from the first source I found.

I have nothing against home brewing and I was interested in doing myself at home in my home in Thailand however I just wanted to make sure that if the local police ever "popped in" that I was not doing anything illegal.

My dad homebrewed in Australia as did I with kits we could buy from Coles or Woolies infact a home brewed ginger beer is one of favorite drinks(filtered of all the lumpy stuff)🙂.

My asking that question is simply a personal predicament requirement, and I felt that in good faith I should share what I found, so that the thread members who may be living in Thailand have that info too.

So what was all that about Sunbelt Asia Visa services in a thread on Homebrewing please?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

So what was all that about Sunbelt Asia Visa services in a thread on Homebrewing please?

I am sorry WG, this is the part of the parragraph.

(The Thai Government authorizes local governments to regulate alcohol production and sale under the Health Code. Local Government Rules 112 Section 58 NDOR, enacted 20th of July 1995, ‡15 provides that individuals cannot produce or sell alcohol without a license from the Thai Government. There is no exception in the law for personal consumption. While the law is obviously not enforced with any vigor in Thailand it is still against the law and those that engage in such activity are always in jeopardy of being caught.)

if you misunderstood, or if I misrepresented, My post was about brewing alcohol, No harm done, carry on.🙂

Edited by Thaidup

On 3/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, Marble-eye said:

Thaidup, you did get an answer, but in all fairness nobody is interested in what you are saying or else you may have got more answers.

Found the answer myself, I was hoping it would be ok but apparently it's not, without a license. This article from 2017 in the Bangkok post is the latest info I could find. They get into the fines and jail about 2/3 of the way down.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/1180445/somethings-brewing

I can't find any law about recipes or sharing brewing information so thank heavens nothing here is illegal, not like making a gun is it.

I would first say to anyone that feels I am being a bit overzealous, we are in a foreign country and they have their laws set by law makers voted in by them whom they can petition to change such laws.to me many

Something an older friend suggested to me many years ago "ignorance is not an excuse".

5 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Found the answer myself, I was hoping it would be ok but apparently it's not, without a license. This article from 2017 in the Bangkok post is the latest info I could find. They get into the fines and jail about 2/3 of the way down.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/1180445/somethings-brewing

I can't find any law about recipes or sharing brewing information so thank heavens nothing here is illegal, not like making a gun is it.

I would first say to anyone that feels I am being a bit overzealous, we are in a foreign country and they have their laws set by law makers voted in by them whom they can petition to change such laws.to me many

Something an older friend suggested to me many years ago "ignorance is not an excuse".

"Over zealous" I have you down as over prolific. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly i have decided to quit this topic mainly due to people  like  Thaidup making people worry about making a few home brews. drink up cold one GIF by Black Hog BrewingAs i have said before yes strictly speaking it is illegal but as you all are aware a lot of people do it and stores selling homebrew supplies are many and the goverment has not stopped their activities so where's  the problem, people like thaidup just want to make comments about the laws in Thailand knowing it will worry people, it won't worry me and i hope you will all ignore  thaidups negative posts, that's up to all of you. I am also moving to another location in Thailand shortly so i will be busy with other projects.

It's been a really good topic i have enjoyed it so much, but i just can't be assed with people who wish to spoil things for other people planting the seeds of worry on others.

Take care of yourselves

S.H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1