HOME BREWING

stuhan

On 2/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, Marble-eye said:

Lazada delivered the vinometer this morning, came with no instructions but checked YouTube for its usage.

I tried it out on my Chardonnay which I knew was about the 13 to 14% abv range, it showed a reading of 14%. Also tried it on my red wine which I thought had stopped fermenting too soon, but that showed a reading of 16%, I did try a slurp of it earlier on and it is far too sweet to drink in its present form, will have to use it for some kind of Punch. What went wrong, I don't know but I'll put it down to human error.

Just bought on of these arrives tomorrow, in your opinion does it work ok.

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

Just bought on of these arrives tomorrow, in your opinion does it work ok.

I bought a 'kit' off Lazada, three hydrometers and a thermometer for Bht 160. But that's all they are, hydrometers. Put one in a glass of my 15% chardonnay and it showed 0. Have ordered one which you pur some wine into it, tip it up and the capillary action hold some in the glass tube and shows a reading. Only a few Baht, more for postage!  

My blackberry wine is going great and will be fully fermented in a couple of days. I did as you suggested, and added more sugar daily.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

I bought a 'kit' off Lazada, three hydrometers and a thermometer for Bht 160. But that's all they are, hydrometers. Put one in a glass of my 15% chardonnay and it showed 0. Have ordered one which you pur some wine into it, tip it up and the capillary action hold some in the glass tube and shows a reading. Only a few Baht, more for postage!  

My blackberry wine is going great and will be fully fermented in a couple of days. I did as you suggested, and added more sugar daily.

I bought mine from laz for B96 Inc shipping, the one you turn upside down to get the %. Glad the step feeding sugar worked 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stuhan said:

I bought mine from laz for B96 Inc shipping, the one you turn upside down to get the %. Glad the step feeding sugar worked 

Just received my alc tester and yes it is accurate, i tested with water it read 0% exactly so tested my banana/honey mead and it shows 19% alc, i thought it was strong when i had a glass or two.🤣

• Cool 1

26 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Just received my alc tester and yes it is accurate, i tested with water it read 0% exactly so tested my banana/honey mead and it shows 19% alc, i thought it was strong when i had a glass or two.🤣

Recipe please! 

All the wine I made last year has now gone, the majority went at Crimble.

I saw some frozen Blackcurrants in Makro last week, so must make a few litres soon. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

All the wine I made last year has now gone, the majority went at Crimble.

I saw some frozen Blackcurrants in Makro last week, so must make a few litres soon. 

I TRY to ensure that my production is greater than my consumption.....difficult but working on it.

Blackcurrants will make alcoholic Ribena!

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Recipe please! 

Two ways you can do this: 1st way make banana mead with chopped bananas added to the honey wine or in my case: 2nd way i made banana wine and i made a mead wine and after they had been fermenting for 7 days i blended 2L of banana wine to 4L of honey mead wine.

To make the honey mead wine: 2L  of honey, 3L water, yeast5g i used red/star premier blanc. 300g of raisins or 2tsp of D.A.P nutrient, 1 lemon juice. S.G should be around 1.115 - 1.120

To make the honey/banana mead wine: Simply add 4lbs of chopped bananas in a bag and add to the honey mix and let ferment as normal.

Banana wine if you want to make and blend it just any banana wine recipe will do.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a 5L batch of pineapple beer today, first time trying this s.g 1.038 290g of sugar o.g 1.062 and 5L of 100% Pineapple juice. Thought it would make a change and nice ice cold in these hot days we are having.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

Made a 5L batch of pineapple beer today, first time trying this s.g 1.038 290g of sugar o.g 1.062 and 5L of 100% Pineapple juice. Thought it would make a change and nice ice cold in these hot days we are having.

What yeast did you use please? And what are the two sg readings you mention?

6 hours ago, WilliamG said:

What yeast did you use please? And what are the two sg readings you mention?

Red star premier blanc yeast.1st starting gravity is just the juice with no sugar, 2nd gravity is after adding 290g of sugar.

13 hours ago, stuhan said:

Red star premier blanc yeast.1st starting gravity is just the juice with no sugar, 2nd gravity is after adding 290g of sugar.

Tipco 100% pineapple juice is 2 for Bht 99 at my Lotus's. 6 litres are on the go.

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Tipco 100% pineapple juice is 2 for Bht 99 at my Lotus's. 6 litres are on the go.

Got mine at macro 5L FOR B219. What a massive fermentation, this is 24hrs and still going. Sorry about the angle.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, stuhan said:

Is it classed as beer or vino? I guess it depends on the ABV.

44 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Is it classed as beer or vino? I guess it depends on the ABV.

Its a strong beer at 8% drink only 360ml bottles at a time ice cold any stronger than 10% i call it a wine, if you want about 5 or 6 % just don't add sugar.

38 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Its a strong beer at 8% drink only 360ml bottles at a time ice cold any stronger than 10% i call it a wine, if you want about 5 or 6 % just don't add sugar.

Yeh but, how many 360 ml bottles at a time?   LOL

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

My Pineapple stuff has overflowed overnight, wow, what a mess! Added 200 gm sugar this morning. 

That's what happened to mine too. Also what's amazing is the fermentation has finished already at 1.000 after only 42hrs so i have primed the bottles with sugar and bottled it. Will leave it to settle for a few days and let it carbonate, it will start fermenting a bit more with the priming sugar that will carbonate it. It smells like a beer tastes like a dry cider, will be great ice cold, def will make this and try other fruit beers in the future.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stuhan said:

That's what happened to mine too. Also what's amazing is the fermentation has finished already at 1.000 after only 42hrs so i have primed the bottles with sugar and bottled it. Will leave it to settle for a few days and let it carbonate, it will start fermenting a bit more with the priming sugar that will carbonate it. It smells like a beer tastes like a dry cider, will be great ice cold, def will make this and try other fruit beers in the future.

Took a alc% reading of my pineapple beer before i bottled it on that new alc tester and it's at 7%, it will increase a bit in the bottles but i'm happy with 7% for a beer, it will be cloudy beer but that's how it's meant to be according to all the vids i've watched.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stuhan said:

Took a alc% reading of my pineapple beer before i bottled it on that new alc tester and it's at 7%, it will increase a bit in the bottles but i'm happy with 7% for a beer, it will be cloudy beer but that's how it's meant to be according to all the vids i've watched.

Down from 1.040 to 1.005 in 48 hours, tastes great.

31 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Down from 1.040 to 1.005 in 48 hours, tastes great.

It's amazing how fast pineapple ferments as a beer not a wine, i hope others i try ferment as good. Yesterday i drank more than i should, it was so good ice cold.

• Like 1

Did anyone ever clear up if it is legal to brew alcohol at home? I ask because some people around my place brew lao khao but they have to have a license.

I only ask because they all know what everyone does around here.